Simply put, a video game that encourages the player to actually exercise. The goal isn't usually to complete the game so much as to get in shape. Now even though this became successful with the Wii, it's been around longer than that. See this article from The Other Wiki. Compare Casual Video Game, Sports Game, Rhythm Game, Edutainment Game.
- Wii Fit, the Trope Codifier.
- Before that, Mario had his own Dance Dance Revolution game.
- EA Sports Active
- The Biggest Loser has a Licensed Game, of course, about this.
- Jillian Michaels' Fitness Ultimatum
- We Cheer has a workout mode.
- Although mostly incidental, Dance Dance Revolution is considered to give a very good workout. Some editions even have a calorie counter.
- Personal Trainer: Walking (although less about direct exercise than getting in a walking rhythm).
- EyeToy: Kinetic
- Ubisoft's Your Shape for the Wii and its sequel, Your Shape: Fitness Evolved for Kinect.
- On The Simpsons, Lisa bought a Funtendo Zii for the old folks' home so they could get some exercise.
- WarioWare: Smooth Moves has a rather tenuous workout mode where you burn "kelories".
- Dance Aerobics for the NES is the Ur-Example. It made use of the Power Pad.
- Yourself!Fitness for the Xbox, PS2 and PC platforms. Ubisoft later bought it to release on the Wii as My Fitness Coach.
- Just Dance 2, 3, and 4 has a mode for this.
- So does Dance Central.
- Gold's Gym Cardio Workout and Gold's Gym Dance Workout
- Prop Cycle, a 1996 arcade game from Namco has you riding a flying bicycle to pop balloons and ultimately save a village in the sky.
- Any Nintendo 3DS game that allows you to exchange Play Coins for rewards has elements of this, since the only way to earn Play Coins is to go for a walk while carrying your system in sleep mode.
- Zombies, Run! and from the same creators, The Walk
- Ingress is a GPS-based game in which you visit real-world locations to access portals. The intent is for players to walk to the portals, as the personal stats screen shows the amount of distance you have walked while playing, although some players play in a vehicle (preferably as a passenger, as driving and playing Ingress at the same time can be dangerous).