It's what all the stylish mad scientists are wearing these days.
Chrome dome, goggles on
It stretches. It molds to the body. It's shiny. It's slick. It's cold. It's warm. It makes funny noises. It smells... well, rubbery
. Rubber, and its man-made polymer cousins, latex and PVC, can be very interesting to the senses, and many people find that sexy.
And sometimes, people go a little overboard with it. This trope is when someone's attire is mostly rubber, latex or PVC. It can be a fashion statement (especially in Hollywood circles), it can be a power uniform, and it can subliminally say something different altogether. It is usually black in most cases, though white (especially among "naughty nurses
") and red (among "Horny Devils
") are also common. This is mostly a bondage/fetish/fashion trope, and needless to say, this is extreme Fetish Fuel
See also Latex Space Suit
and some Spy Catsuits
. Not to be confused with People in Rubber Suits
. Compare its sister trope, Hell-Bent for Leather
Anime and Manga
- The Harkkonen clan from David Lynch's Dune. Famously, Sting turns up in a rubber g-string in one scene for no explainable reason.
- Latex bodysuits were implemented by the killer in Se7en for Lust.
- Batman's suits in the Tim Burton and Christopher Nolan incarnations is made of a black polymer.
- In Batman Forever, the love interest of the film mentioned her attraction to black rubber while trying to grope Batman.
- In Batman Returns, Catwoman's costume, as far as the story, is PVC, when in reality, it's latex.
- Trinity in The Matrix also wears a PVC outfit.
- Uma Thurman in Kill Bill wore a yellow PVC racing jumpsuit.
- A common fashion in the Alternate Timeline England of the Slave World novels.
- Layla the Latex Lady, from Johannes Cabal the Necromancer, takes this a lot farther. She's a literal incarnation of illicit sexuality, and she verrrrry definitely hasn't got anything else on beneath the latex catsuit. Including skin, or flesh.
- Exotic Detective Sam Jones in the book The Black Rubber Dress is all in rubber at a business function full of investment bankers. Part of the reason for the function is to unveil her new sculpture in the bank foyer.
- Razor Ramon HG, aka Hard Gay, a Japanese TV personality and wrestling star, dresses in a Camp Gay black PVC biker cap, vest and hotpants and black leather boots.
- He hilariously went over the line into squicksville the time he pulled a PVC facemask out of the front of his PVC hotpants for someone else to wear...
- Astronema in Power Rangers in Space wore PVC/Rubber for the first half of the series.
- CSI has a serial killer that dressed in a full body gimp suit (purchased from a local BDSM shop) to avoid leaving traces. That was probably the least strange thing about him.
- In the Doctor Who serial The Krotons, Zoe's costume consists of a very short PVC skirt and matching jacket.
- The Voord in "The Keys of Marinus" are an Uncanny Valley example of this. They wear suits to swim in Marinus's powerful acid oceans, which appear to have fused with their actual bodies. Barbara comes across a Voord suit on the beach with a small tear in it and only small remains of the creature inside, which has been totally dissolved.
- The aptly named Rubber Man from American Horror Story: Murder House wears a full body black latex BDSM suit with concealing mask to commit his most heinous acts.
- In real life, skin-tight rubber fetish suits are quite fragile and cling to the wearer's body, impeding movement. Garments less suited to running around and committing acts of violence would be hard to invent.
- Rubber suits are Mistress Sixx's most prominent kink in Collar 6.
- While not a webcomic (yet!), DPRagan's Satyri (Links very NSFW) series of illustrations take this to the next logical step: The Satyri are half-human succubi who, as a natural result of being partial Anthropomorphic Personifications of perversion and lust, have rubber skin (and a predisposition towards rubber clothing).
- Johnathan and Caley are wearing full rubber suits at the start of Chapter 13 of Demon Candy Parallel.
- Common in Sunstone due to the BDSM theme of the comic. Ally in particular has an entire wardrobe composed mostly of outfits like this, made by her friend Alan.
- As You Know, there are latex/rubber/PVC fetishes.
- Gimps [male BDSM rubber/leather slaves] wear suits and masks of rubber or latex.
- Also used in BDSM as part of the sensory deprivation fetish. Less common than blindfolds but more common than noise-canceling headphones.
- Latex is also a popular garment choice among dominatrices, professional and otherwise.
- Comedian Margaret Cho, who has claimed to be in the BDSM subculture, has been known to wear latex dresses to public occasions.
- Latex dresses seem to be becoming rather "hip" among the Hollywood elite lately.