Literature: Wolves of Mercy Falls Series
Wolves of Mercy Falls
is a book trilogy written by Maggie Stiefvater which takes place in Mercy Falls, Minnesota.
At the start of Shiver
, Grace is bitten by the wolves that live behind her house, but she is saved by a different wolf with mysterious yellow eyes. After that incident, Grace becomes obsessed with the wolves; more specifically, her yellow-eyed wolf.
The yellow-eyed wolf, however, lives a double life. During the winter, he is an animal wandering through the forest, but when summer arrives, Sam and all the other wolves behind Grace's house turn human.
The second book, Linger
, was published in July 2010. The conclusion, Forever
, was released in July 2011. A fourth entry in the series Sinner,
a continuation focusing on side characters Cole and Isabel
was released in 2014 which proved to be a Base Breaker
Tropes used in this series:
- Abusive Parents: All of them. Sam's parents take the cake, but Grace's should've been put away for neglect long ago. Also Shelby's parents, and possibly the Culpepers as well.
- Alpha Bitch: Isabel starts off as this.
- Ambition Is Evil: Shelby
- Ascended Extra: Isabel and Cole went from being supporting protagonists to getting an entire book focusing on them.
- Brilliant but Lazy: Cole
- Calling the Old Man Out: Grace does this to her parents Once A Book.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Officer Koening
- Deus ex Machina / Contrived Coincidence: So, wait, our new ally Officer Koenig just happens to have inherited a tract of land which is absolutely perfect for relocating the pack? Really?
- Diabolus Ex Machina: In an unusual form: a deer.
- Downer Ending: The end of Linger undoes everything the protagonists tried to accomplish in Shiver, only mixing it up by having Grace turn into the wolf.
- Dropped A Bridge On Her: The girl Shelby kills in the opening of Forever? Olivia, absent since the end of Shiver. We don't find out it's her until later.
- Earn Your Happy Ending
- Fake-Out Make-Out: Cole and Isabel in Forever.
- Fore Shadowing: While Grace is buying a new car Sam jokes to Grace that if the car "hit a deer it would just hiccup and keep going." but much later the car does in fact hit a deer and breaks down. To make matters worse, without the car heater keeping Sam warm, he finally shifts permanently into a wolf but not before tearfully saying goodbye to Grace and Beck.
- Follow the Leader: Then again, it does help the surge of human/non-human romance craze started by Twilight.
- Food Porn: The description of the candy shop in Shiver may make you drool.
- Freudian Excuse: Shelby has one.
- This is deconstructed somewhat. Although readers are told that Shelby's past life was appalling (and heck, it must have been to create someone so spectacularly fucked-up) her backstory is never used to justify her Ax-Crazy deeds.
- Fully-Embraced Fiend : Shelby. And Cole to a lesser extent
- Genki Girl: Grace's friend Rachel.
- Hands-Off Parenting: Grace's parents. Her mom cares more about her art than her daughter essentially. In Forever, she claims this is because her parents made her life miserable by never letting her do anything she wanted.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Cole towards the end of Forever injects himself with his personally created serum shifting himself into his wolf form so that he may fight off Shelby giving Sam enough time to escape and lead the pack to safety from the aerial hunt, causing himself to end up getting shot after killing Shelby. He manages to survive though. Just barely
- I Am the Band: Cole St. Clair in relation to NARKOTIKA. He's the one who jumps out on album covers, and he's most likely the one who leads his friends Jeremy and Victor into temptation.
- I Choose to Stay: At the end of Shiver, Olivia chooses to try and live with lycanthropy rather than gamble on an incredibly risky cure.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Many of the werewolves feel this way.
- Important Haircut: Isabel gets one in Linger.
- Inter Species Romance: Sam and Grace.
- Insufferable Genius: Isabel
- Involuntary Shapeshifting: The werewolves. Shifting all depends on the temperature. How cold it needs to be for a werewolf to shift from human to wolf depends.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Isabel and Cole
- Karma Houdini: Shelby gets away alive despite trying to Murder the Hypotenuse in Shiver.
- She gets what she's got coming in Forever, though.
- Kill It with Fire: Technically speaking. The 'cure' for the wolves is to inject them with meningitis, which they describe as 'burning out the wolf inside'
- Last Name Basis: Beck.
- Love at First Sight: Grace and Sam.
- Love Makes You Evil: Shelby.
- Love Triangle: A small one with Grace/Sam/Shelby. Grace/Sam/Isabel and Cole/Isabel/Sam are both teased — most overtly with an Indirect Kiss between Sam and Isabel at the beginning of Linger — but neither goes anywhere.
- Low Fantasy: Sinner especially has little to do with the werewolf aspect at all
- Mad Scientist: Cole in Forever, extending to making himself a guinea pig for his own experiments.
- Morality Pet: Inverted. In the first book, Isabel has a yappy little dog, appropriate to her Rich Bitch status. Shortly after Jack kills the dog, she does a Heel-Face Turn for unrelated reasons.
- Naked First Impression: Isabel and Cole in Linger
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: At the end of Linger, it turns out lycanthropy is actually the body's (super)natural defense mechanism against a toxin- spread by the bites- that kills the victim slowly. "Curing" the shifts merely causes the toxin to kill the victim faster.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Very different indeed.
- Proud Warrior Race Girl: Shelby feels this way about being a wolf.
- Re Tool: Word of God says that the third book was finished, then completely rewritten from scratch because the author wasn't happy with it. Some problems resulted, possibly including the above mentioned Cliffhanger Cop Out.
- Rich Bitch: Isabel. Until she gets Character Development, anyway.
- Shadow Archetype: Cole to Sam, as The Lancer sub-type.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Sam and Grace only have eyes for eachother.
- Stalker with a Crush: Sam, even if he was a wolf at the time, and Shelby gets like this with Sam, too.
- Summon Bigger Fish: The theorized cure for lycanthropy? Bacterial meningitis. Results may vary.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Sam in both human and wolf form.
- Technicolor Eyes: Sam's eyes are naturally yellow.
- Their First Time: Sam and Grace in Shiver
- Tsundere: Isabel. She's almost always in tsun-mode but she does have her occasional dere moments,
- Unusual Chapter Numbers: In Shiver the chapters come with the current temperature of area.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: In Shiver, Three teenagers are infected with lycanthropy by Beck. One turns out to be Cole, the second his friend Victor, but the third never shows up again.
- In Forever, chapter fifty-eight: Did Isabel ask Cole in?
- What the Hell, Hero?: Isabel to Sam in Linger, for ignoring the fact that Grace is dying so as not to ruin their "Dream life."
- And again in Forever, for still not doing anything about it even after Grace turns wolf. Sam can be a real Emo Teen sometimes...
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Rachel displays this in Forever, refusing to come near Sam (who is a suspected murderer), and basically displaying more sense than any girl in a horror movie ever has...too bad she's in a teen romance book, and not the next Friday the 13th