Literature: The Time of Contempt
The fourth book in The Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski. The book was originally released in Polish, and an English translation was released after numerous delays in August of 2013.While mentoring Ciri in the art of magic, Yennefer is invited to the upcoming sorcerer council at the Thanedd Island. Thanks to insubordinate Ciri, not thrilled by the prospect of becoming a humble student of magic, they reunite with Geralt. However, things go downhill fast; the schemes wrought during the council go well beyond the average when a coup d'etat breaks out amongst the mages. Geralt is crippled (would be killed, if it were not for Triss), Yennefer disappears without a trace, and Ciri is teleported by stray magic deep into the Nilfgaard territories. Meanwhile, Nilfgaard wastes not the opportunity to renew its northward onslaught, starting a massive campaign that leads them to crush the Northern Kingdoms one by one.
Tropes found in the book:
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Lampshaded. While recovering from his fight with Vilgefortz, Geralt thinks of what he could do to avoid ending badly damaged, and comes to conclusion that nothing would have helped — his opponent was so above his level that if he wanted to leave the fight unharmed, he should have run away.
- The Immodest Orgasm: A sex scene between Geralt and Yennefer about halfway through the book elicits both applause and complaints from people in nearby rooms.
- Information Broker: Codringher (and Fenn), an Amoral Attorney complete with Right-Hand Cat, who for a good price can find any info or secure any court verdict. Geralt hires him to gather info on matters related to Ciri.
- Named After Somebody Famous: In-Universe, Ciri names herself Falka (an infamous rebellion leader in the North) to the Rats.
- Party Scattering: Happens to the main cast of the series during the Thanedd coup at the end of the book.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The Rats.
- Teleporters and Transporters: The portal in the Tower of the Seagull is supposed to be connected to the mysterious Tower of the Swallow but has long been known to malfunction.
- Wizarding School: Arethusa on Thanedd, where Yennefer intends to enroll Ciri.