Literature: The Idhún's Memories
The Idhún's Memories
(originally Memorias de Idhún
) is a High Fantasy
and Paranormal Romance
trilogy written by the Spanish author Laura Gallego.
The story is based on three children: Jack, Victoria and Kirtash, who are destined to save a world
called Idhún from Ashran the Necromancer, who is casually Kirtash's father. From here, the story passes to include multiverse switches
The trilogy has got a spin-off comic book series. Even though the fans have asked for a movie based on the trilogy, the author has refused to share the rights of the books with film producers.
Compare with Twilight
for a similar product.
These books (and movies) contain examples of:
- The Ace: Jack, Victoria and Kirtash.
- Author Avatar: According to some, Victoria is Laura Gallego. Gallego herself has admitted that the story started out as a fourteen years old girl daydream.
- Barbarian Tribe: There is one in Idhún.
- Beauty Equals Goodness
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished
- Big Bad: Ashran.
- The Chosen One: The three lead.
- Creation Myth: Idhún has one, related to its six gods.
- Deus ex Machina: Literally.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Kimara and Gerde.
- The Dragon: Kirtash, and later Gerde, to Ashran.
- Giant Flyer: The dragons and the sheks.
- Healing Hands
- Heel-Face Turn: A sort of, by Kirtash.
- Here There Were Dragons: But were killed by Ashran.
- Hero Insurance: As the heroes of La Résistance, Victoria and Jack can literally do what they want.
- Idiot Hero: Jack.
- Lizard Folk: The szish.
- Love Triangle: Possibly the most bizarre and literal example ever. Victoria ends with both two of his love interests.
- Magic Knight: Kirtash.
- Offstage Villainy: Ashran the Necromancer is a solid example. Apart from the dragon race slaying, he is never shown doing anything specfically evil - in fact, he has more Pet the Dog than Kick the Dog instances. Idhún is even stated to be a safe and stable society under his domain.
- Orcus on His Throne: Justified. Ashran is a inusually minor mage for a High Fantasy Big Bad, as he can't fuel the magic of his own tower without Victoria's help and the process requieres him and Gerde to pour their combined power in a long ritual.
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Patchwork Map
- A Protagonist Shall Lead Them: Victoria doesn't lead the Resistance, but, almost as a gag, she is always right, while the wise Resistance leaders are always wrong.
- Purple Prose: Frequent in romantic scenes, and somewhat repetitive.
- La Résistance: The Idhunite Resistance.
- Sorcerous Overlord: Ashran.
- The Vamp: Gerde.
- World of Badass
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Many races have inusual hair colors.