She looked about 22. Long red hair to her waspish waste, cape, long red pants tapered at the leg (it was easy to run in), high-heels (fantasy), the domino mask that obscured her face... and by the way, a tank-top with her ‘Mazing symbol on it. Except this one had her top cropped to show off her sleek well formed abs, the tapering breasts that defied gravity, and slim well muscled arms.
Sarah hated her. She just really, really hated her.
Sarah Jennings is a prop master working in Los Angeles
working on USA Network Television. She's a bit of a nerd, plump, likes to paint Warhammer
figurines. Pleasant, basically sweet, if a tad irresponsible. She likes to clap before eating burritos. She is also the strongest, most powerful super in the western United States. Maybe the world.
"Tales of An 'Mazing Girl" is a short stories series on the internet based on her adventure as she goes to Comic Book
conventions (and does half as cosplay), goes on bad dates, and fight giant armor clad villains.
Each short story tells a different adventure-sometimes Action Packed Sometimes Everyday, as she moves through the challenges of her life.The stories frequently poke fun or recontextualize superhero tropes-but never quite ignore them. 'Mazing Girl maybe went to Cal Arts but she can't totally avoid the irony of her life.Can be found here.
This series provides examples of:
- Action Girl - 'Mazing Girl is, in her own words, 'a bit of a badass.'
- Arch-Enemy - Deca. A powersuit-wearing psychopath with an obsession with robots, who always TALKSINCAPITALLETTERS. Lex Luthor thinks he's this.
- Ax-Crazy- Deca. For a villian in a giant metal suit that seemingly wants to take over the world, he can across pretty creepy pyscopath and is willing to kill people not to make a point, but to make a point that it isn't a point.
- Deadpan Snarker - Subverted. 'Mazing girl is in her secret identity. As a superhero she only thinks it for the most part.
- Big Good - Noticeably, many characters seem to want her to be, though she never quite fits the role.
- Blessed with Suck - A common theme. 'Mazing Girl has the seepyin her fear of hurting people and the fear that a person who can defeat an army watched Jersey Shore (though only the first season) and how it isolates her. It's been suggested a lot of her nerdy behavior is perhaps overcompensating for it.
- Bi the Way - At first With enough drinks. Though as the series progresses, she falls for the Female flame, and gradually comes to question the first part.
- Boobs of Steel - Of all the regular characters, 'Mazing girl has the largest chest, yes. Largest everything.
- Brought to You by the Letter "S" - Well, M.
- Chest Insignia - The letter 'M.
- Clark Kenting- It helps that there's a certain awkwardness to saying "Hey, Are you?"
- Combat Pragmatist - Though she does to a point humor people who take the time to build elaborate death traps that have no chance of actually catching her, when she has to take someone out in a hurry she will do what ever it takes to end it quickly.
- Expy - Several characters are. 'Mazing girl is Supergirl (though she has powers closer to the '40s Superman and seems closer in scope to that). Knighthawk is Batman, The Flame is the Shadow, Knife Girl seems to be Green Arrow. Meanwhile ,Deca is Doctor Doom, Mysterion is Mysterion, and Professor Milner seems to be the scarecrow. That they live in a world where all of this actually exists is occasionally just outright stated.
- Superheroes Wear Capes - 'Mazing Girl and Knighthawk both wear one.
- Death by Origin Story- Not Mazing Girl, but her *sigh* Girlfriend the flames parents died. Mazing Girl is kind of impressed. flame isn't as it made Royally Screwed up.
- Fiery Red Head - Though slightly less fiery then usual.
- Flying Brick - Well, jumping brick.
- Immune to Bullets - Mostly.
- Green Rocks - In Vs. Lex Luthor does absolutely nothing.
- Holding Out for a Hero - Several stories explore how the world depends of 'Mazing girl, and her ambivalence towards it.
- In a Single Bound - 'Mazing Girl can jump 50 miles in a single go.
- Telepathy - Both Deca and the Flame can do this.
- Playing with Fire - The Flames main power is this.
- An Ice Person- Blizzard. Though in universe, he's not named after this but the video game company Activision/Blizzard.
- Girly Bruiser - Sarah can be pretty giggly for someone who can lift a mack truck
- Home Base - She has a condo in El Segundo. Which is about a mile from the beach.
- Invincible Hero - Though she can be hurt and suggested bullets will eventually kill her. She notably acts like it.
- Ice Queen - The Flame, ironically.
- Girl of the Week - Deconstructed (and how) in "X of the Week"
- Leotard of Power - 'Mazing girl's isn't a classic leotard. More of a Jumper tank op shorts combo.
- Most Common Superpower - Slight subverted as she's a larger woman overall, but yeah. The Flame notably is completely flat-chested.
- My Greatest Failure - Killing dog monsters in "Foreign Adventure Fun Goodness". Her response: buy a cat.
- My Suit Is Also Super - Sometimes subverted, sometimes played straight. Explained that is made of kevlar not so much to protect her as it.
- Our Vampires Are Different - They hang out in smallish nightclubs, most of them are nice and the rest are Jackson Rathbone(who was one of the vampires in the movie twilight-just not one of the important ones
- New Old Flame - Chad in "Weirder Spreadsheets of Love." Though it turns out he's less of an old flame, but a guy she had sex with in order to help his popularity.
- Nigh Invulnerable
- Lad-ette - She seems more of a stereotypical nerd then a jock, but she's capable of drinking a Heineken and having a quick snog. Just she does it at a Warhammer40k tournament not a bar.
- Red-Headed Hero - Sarah's hair color.
- Super Strength - She can lift about 30 tons in most stories.
- Super Toughness - Gotten Hit By Trucks, Bullets. Lots of things. Keeps on ticking.
- Spider-Sense - Though it's unreliable, kind of mystic unexplored sense of trouble.
- Secret Identity- Sarah Jennings, a mild-mannered (and surprisingly tattoo-less) prop master and occasional art director.
- The Cape - Slight subverted. 'Mazing Girl definitely acts the paragon virtue. She just doesn't think it.
- The Cowl - The Flame and Knighthawk are different versions of this.
- Comes Great Responsibility - Sarah feels strongly on this... However, it does cut into her lounging-around time.
- "World of Cardboard" Speech - In the story "The World is Cardboard or Something."