Literature / In A World Like Ours
In A World Like Ours
, by Karl Kadaver
is a work in progress on FictionPress.com about a young man named Kenneth Conners, who happens to have super powers that he inherited from his parents.
The story follows Kenneth as he tries to balance his "civilian" life with his superheroic one.
He is joined by Charles Atlas, the man who gave Kenneth's father his start in superheroics and Sunburst, a young woman who has powers of her own. The story follows a Villain of the Week
formula with a romantic subplot between Kenneth and Allison, a girl who recently moved into the city and yet another subplot wherein seeming random people are given doses of a Super Serum
for an unknown purpose. Just concluded its sixth "Issue." It's become a victim of the dreaded Schedule Slip
, as Karl hasn't updated the story in weeks.
This work contains the following Tropes:
- Accidental Misnaming: Kenneth does not like being called 'Kenny.'
- Action Girl: Sunburst
- Aliens Speaking English: Kenneth's father, Earl. Granted, he's had over 20 years to master the language...
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders: Invoked by Kenneth in an Imagine Spot featuring Allison in a cheerleader's outfit.
- Alliterative Name: Kenneth Connors
- Ascended Fanboy: Before regularly using his powers, Kenneth was a fan of the Comic Within A Story Captain Magnificent. He still is.
- Also Sunburst. She didn't fight crime in costume until Super Nova showed up.
- Badass Normal: Aside from her "bursting" powers, Sunburst is this.
- When the Powered Armor psychopath thinks that you're more of a match than the person with actual super powers, then it must be true.
- Batman Cold Open:
- Sunburst's introduction.
- Chop Shop's introduction, complete with Call-Back to Sunburst's intro.
- Berserk Button: Don't harm any civilians while Super Nova is around.
- Blessed with Suck: Overlaps with Power Incontinence. Kenneth can't properly regulate his body temperature. He has heat sinks in his costume to mitigate this. He hand waves this by referring to it as the fictional disease, "Hyperthermal Disregulation."
- Brand X: Wally's World Superstore (where Kenneth works), Primary Insurance Company Inc. (where Kenneth's father works)
- Cartwright Curse: Kenneth believes that superheroes have this
He liked Allison, but he doubted he could burden her with that kind of information[being a superhero]. After all, in his comic books, any love interest that isn’t a superhero themselves end up…in a word, dead.''
- City of Adventure: New Sharden
- Day in the Life: How the story begins.
- Every Car Is a Pinto: Averted. So far, two cars have been destroyed, one beyond recognition, and neither have exploded.
- Evil Knockoff: Super Nova's first super-powered foe, "Hellstorm." It doesn't end well for him. ]]
- Expy: The story is chock-full of them: (As far as power sets are concerned)
- Fangirl: Allison is a mild version of one for Super Nova.
- Genre Savvy: Kenneth. He is a comic book fan, after all.
"Wouldn’t that be weird if he saw someone that he knows from his secret identity? (ALL super heroes have secret identities!)"
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Sunburst with Mr. Flopsy, her stuffed rabbit.
- Hollywood Nerd: Allison is a moderator of a forum dedicated to Super Nova fandom. They call themselves 'Nova-Lites.'
- Kenneth also counts, being that he's a Captain Magnificent fanatic, but he has a physique "more like an All-Star quarteback."
- Immune to Bullets: Super Nova is a slight aversion. He comments to his parents that the bullets merely sting and show them the welts that resulted from an encounter with gun-toting bank robbers.
- The higher the gauge, the more impact they have. A pair of .50 caliber bullets knocked the wind out of him.
- In a World...: "...just like ours, but different..."
- Jumped at the Call:
[Explaining Hellstorm's Freudian Excuse
] Why not use your name for something more? Why not use all of that recognition and fame and put it towards making a mint. Think of all the commercial deals! He can imagine it now, Super Nova Brand energy bars, Super Nova Brand sneakers, Super Nova Brand condoms, for God’s sake! They’ll make you SUPER where it REALLY counts! And the movies! You could do your own stunts, hell you could have people actually shooting at you, and actually jumping from tall buildings; you’d be the biggest action star ever! Hellstorm:
] Hell, Super Nova might even be on board for the whole thing. I might have to cut him in on some of the profits, but what’s a couple of bucks here and there? Sixty-Forty split. …Nah, more like Ninety-Ten. Yeah, I’ll ride the hem of your (metaphorical) cape all the way to the bank, you dumb git.
- Kirk Summation: Super Nova tries one on Hellstorm. As usual, it doesn't work.
- Loners Are Freaks: Nicholas Trent, otherwise known as "The Creeper." No, not that one.
- Leotard of Power: Sunburst. Justified.
*rolls her eyes* Duh… Ya see, my power only works when I have skin exposed, so I need to make my suit as revealing as possible. *Hops off the table and does a twirl, finishing with her back facing Super Nova* It’s actually pretty conservative, if I say so myself. Super Nova: *Says nothing* Sunburst:
It doesn’t hurt that guys can’t help but look at me
, either. You know…pretty much the way you are.
- Meaningful Name: The name "Kenneth" means, "Born Of Fire."
- Mega Corp.: The Atlas Research Group ("Creating A Better Tomorrow Today")
- Mission Control: Charles Atlas. The narrative explicitly calls him by this trope.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Dr. Mortus, "Hellstorm", Chop Shop
- Punch Clock Villain: Lady Iron. Formerly Dr. Mortus' Dragon.
Having nowhere else to go [after Dr. Mortus' Island of Doom
exploded], and not really wanting to be a villain anymore, Lady Iron decided to join Plasma Man and Charles Atlas.
- Retired Badass: Plasma Man and Miss Amazing, Kenneth's parents. In fact, Kenneth's mother is perfectly happy being a homemaker.
- Samus Is a Girl: Chop Shop is a girl.
- Sarcastic Confession: Kenneth gets a nice one on Rob in Issue 4.
Rob: “Then, what happens not a week after Suburst comes onto the scene: Little, mild-mannered, Allison Kelso shows up to get a job.” *Leans in close to Kenneth* “It’s too perfect. And tell me, Kenny, have you ever seen them in the same place together? You know my logic is sound.”
Kenneth: “Have you ever seen Super Nova and me in the same place together? For that matter, I’ve never seen you and Sunburst in the same place together. How do I know youre not Sunburst just trying to throw me off?”
- Shout-Out: To DC Comics heroes. The names of the bank robbers (Calvin Elliot, Dwayne Troy, and Wayne Bates) and a guest writer for Captain Magnificent, Jordan Halverson
- Stalker with a Crush: Nicholas Trent again. He even named his spiders after Cassie and Stacy.
- Stock Superhero Day Jobs: Super Nova works as a stock clerk, Sunburst is a college student.
- Southern Belle: Sunburst
- Stealth Pun: Jonathan Black's nickname for Ginger Keim. "Keim" is the German word for "Germ."
- Superpowerful Genetics: How Kenneth got his powers.
- The Cape: Super Nova, or at least he tries to be.
- Uncanny Valley: In the Thoughtspace, Claire's face becomes something like an Expressive Mask.
More to come...