Frontier Magic is a trilogy of Young Adult
novels by Patricia C. Wrede
. The books are:
They tell the Coming of Age Story
of Eff Rothmer, a supposedly unlucky thirteenth child
, and her twin brother, Lan, a seventh son of a seventh son
. They and their family live out on the edge of the relatively safe part of the United States of Columbia
, watching as every year more and more people brave the dangerous wildlife to settle the frontier
This series provides examples of:
- Action Girl
- All There in the Manual
- Anti-Magical Faction: The Society of Progressive Rationalists
- As You Know
- Awesome Yet Practical: The Great Barrier Spell, even though no one can figure out how to do it again.
- Badass Family: The Rothmers
- Badass Normal: William Graham is this by the third book, compared to Eff and Lan. Brant is a more typical example, as he doesn't even use magic, but still managed to save a dozen people from certain death.
- Bat out of Hell: Daybats
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Can't Catch Up: Everyone with regards to Lan, but particularly Eff.
- Chekhov's Gun
- Closer to Earth
- Cryptically Unhelpful Answer: Miss Ochiba has built her teaching career on these. Incredibly, it works.
- Downer Beginning: Poor Eff
- Dreaming The Truth: Eff has some.
- Exotic Weapon Supremacy: Or, rather, Exotic Magic Supremacy. Avrupan magic is never as effective as Aphrikan or Hijero-Cathayan.
- Exposition Break
- Eye of Newt
- Fantastic Racism
- Fantasy Counterpart Culture
- Feminist Fantasy
- First Person Perspective
- Friendly Rivalry: Lan and William have this going on and off.
- Functional Magic
- The Gift
- Government Agency of Fiction
- Happily Married
- High Turnover Rate
- Humans Advance Swiftly
- In Harmony With Nature: Aphrikan magic
- Istanbul Not Constantinople
- Kicking Ass in All Her Finery: Almost all of the women in the story.
- Kudzu Plot
- Magical Negro
- Magical Seventh Son
- Magic Is a Monster Magnet
- Massive Numbered Siblings
- Mr. Exposition
- Multiethnic Name: Maryann Ochiba
- No Antagonist
- Non-Malicious Monster: All of them, really. None of the monsters from the West are interested in anything other than survival.
- Numerological Motif
- Only Known by Initials: Eff is actually short for Francine.
- The Patriarch: Professor Rothmer when the family is in Mill City. Back in Helvan Shores, it's his father.
- Prehistoric Monster: Wooly mammoths and rhinoceros
- River Of Insanity: The Far West functions as this, as very few people who venture out beyond the Great Plains ever coming back, and none manage to keep their sanity.
- Settling The Frontier
- Spirited Young Lady: Eff, among others.
- Thirteen Is Unlucky
- Time to Unlock More True Potential: Eff does this at least once in every book.
- Unable to Support a Wife: Quite yet, explains Roger.
- Wicked Weasel: Swarming weasels
- Wild Wilderness
- Wise Beyond Their Years
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility
- World of Action Girls: Eff, Miss Ochiba and Prof Torgeson are just a few. Eff even says that the farther west you get, the less people care about what you are than what you can do.