Literature: Dark Red Mind
"Dark Red Mind" is a short story about a U.S. military general who discovers that an American expatriate has somehow managed to take over Russia, Hitler-style. The expatriate, Daniel Myers, has a stockpile of missile-like weapons, but no one knows what they are, or where he intends to aim them.So the general, Madeleine Dryson, is in control of the top-secret superhuman facility where all of the superpowered humans are kept. She decides to use a few of them to take out Myers:
- Bethany, a 29-year-old woman with the power of phasing. In layman's terms, she can make herself or other things intangible.
- Justin, a 30-year-old mute with telekinesis.
- Kaitlyn, a Cute and Psycho 20-year-old who has the ability to cut through anything with her mind. Basically, she could look at you and cut you right down the middle. Not a very safe power for a psychopath.
This story contains examples of:
- Body Horror: When Kaitlyn slices Myers in half vertically, he says one final phrase, "God would be proud," while a blood red line moves down his face. Then, his entire body slowly falls in half. Keyword: SLOWLY.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: The colonel's death.
- Cursed with Awesome: Averted. Kaitlyn, being the psycho that she is, can't imagine getting rid of her powers. She enjoys the bloodshed too much.
- Diagonal Cut: Played straight with Myers' death. But, before slowly, vertically splitting in half, he says his final words: "God would be proud."
- Happiness in Slavery: Most of the superhumans are Type A of this trope.
- High-Pressure Blood: Played straight several times. The most prominent example is when Kaitlyn cuts the supports of a catwalk high above her, causing the outrageous amount of henchmen standing on it to fall all around her. When they hit the ground, blood explodes from their bodies, causing Kaitlyn's entire body to be covered in blood by the time she reaches the end of the room.
- Immune to Bullets: In one chapter, Kaitlyn walks through a warzone, and all of the bullets that are shot at her get sliced right out of the air.
- The Mole: The colonel.
- Nigh Invulnerable: Bethany, since she can basically make bullets, fire, and any other physically harmful object or substance go straight through her.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: Averted. When Kaitlyn manages to break the laws of her powers and vertically split Myers in two, she doesn't say anything witty, which is odd for her character. She merely screams.
- The Reveal: Daniel Myers turns out to be a superhuman. His power? Mind control. That explains how he was able to take over Russia.
- Takes One to Kill One: Averted, then played straight. For the most part of the story, it is common knowledge to the superhumans that they are not able to kill other superhumans. Kaitlyn, however, manages to do so with Myers in the climax.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle: After killing Myers, the three superhumans are contacted by Dryson and told that the Colonel has been exposed as a spy, and has escaped. They kill him fairly sadistically.