Lets Play / Minecraft: The Ex-Communicated Series
Minecraft: The Ex-Communicated Series
was a web series on YouTube
made of three dudes playing Minecraft
. The players are Sly Fox Hound
(referred to as Sly), Uber Haxor Nova
(referred to as Nova), and S So HPKC
(referred to as Seamus). It was fairly popular, with each video ranging from 150,000+ thousand views, and there are a lot of funny moments in there. There are five versions of the series based on Minecraft 1.7 and later.
The first version started on August 14, 2011 and lasted for eight episodes before the group upgraded to Minecraft 1.8 and started over. The first half of the second version started on September 20, 2011 and consists of the group finding a new home. In the second half of the second version, they added a mod
that added more animals to their world and decided to tame a few cats and a couple of pegasus. The second version ended due to Sly losing the world file.
The third version started on January 8, 2012 and the group resumed their goal of finding and taming some pegasus. The third version ended in the same way as the second version: Sly lost the world file. The fourth version started on January 25, 2012 and the group basically returned to what the first version was about: improvising with no clear goals in mind. The fourth version came to an end and the series went on hiatus until the fifth version started on March 9th, 2014.
In the fifth version, the group decided to start over and added a Dragon Ball Z mod
which loosely followed the main events of the anime series in that Sly, Nova, and Seamus had to train to build up their strength in order to fight the various villains of Dragon Ball Z
. Due to the members eventually leaving The Creatures
and later the the disbanding
of The Creatures
on July 13, 2017, it is very unlikely for this series to resume since Rooster Teeth
has all rights to the defunct group.
You can read up more about the series at The Creature Wiki
This series provides examples of:
- Aborted Arc: Sly and Seamus built a portal to the Nether in episode 7 & 8, but the episode ended before they could go through it and battle whatever was in there. The next episode opened with the three in the second version of Minecraft which had them starting completely anew.
- The "Mushroom Land" and the stable can be considered this as of episode 34 because Sly lost the world file
- When the world file reset again, the 'Glidey McHorse' series also fell prey to this.
- Absurdly Ineffective Barricade: Nova's cactus fence, not only failed to keep out a bear, but killed Nova as well. Then when an ogre went aggro on Nova, he was unaffected by the cactus as he was wrecking the landscape.
- It happened again in episode 44 when an ogre took out his cactus.
- Happens again in episode 50 when Nova made a sandstone house and a Fire Ogre acted like he was going to die by cactus but breaks it and gets into Nova's house.
- The Artifact: In Nova's recordings of the series, he uses a title card from the first series (showing Sly in his priest skin, Seamus in his Luigi skin, and Nova in his bumblebee skin) long after the first series ended and they changed their skins.
- Atomic F-Bomb: "I'm just getting some seeds here, OH FUCK" *gets blown up by Creeper*
- "FUCKING HORSE, STOP BEING SUCH A BITCH"
- To be honest, this happens all the time with these guys, especially Sly.
- Big "NO!": Sly gets one in when an Ogre destroys his barn.
- When Sly accidentally falls off in episode 19, he lets several out.
- Boring, but Practical: This is Seamus' (S So HPKC's) approach to house making during and after the third installment. This is highlighted by the fact that: by the end of episode 44, he's the only one, out of the three, to not have his house obliterated.
- Born Lucky: You might say that Seamus was this during the third installment. He was the first one to tame his pegasus towards the series goal, his house was never destroyed, and he died the least out of the three. He still died a couple of times, but not nearly as much as Nova or Sly.
- Butt-Monkey: Nova during a brief period in episode 38, which the last ten deaths were his and at least six of them were by Big Cats.
- Sly also became one in episode 44, when after finally taming a big cat like he wanted to do, it dies after fighting a Fire Ogre. Sly also got his house destroyed by an Ogre, chased by a lot of mobs, and insulted by Nova and Seamus for being the reason that the Ogre wrecked Nova's cactus farm.
- Call-Back: Nova's Gay Tony jump.
- Actually, there's quite a lot of these in the videos. Referencing Nova's Tri Mountain series with Nova having a set template for how he builds his houses, how one of the dogs in the game looks like another one of the Creatures' dogs, Kootra, and Stank Ass drowning
- Cluster F-Bomb: As mentioned above in Atomic F-Bomb, the three of them swear a lot in the videos.
- Sly manages this in one sentence "Oh my tits fucking Jesus christ" during episode 35.
- Colbert Bump: Accidentally Invoked. When Sly got "When Arms Wide Open" by Creed stuck in his head during the third version, many fans commented on the video for that song that Sly sent them there. Sly pointed this out during the opening episode to the fourth version (Ep. 45)
- Comedic Sociopathy: Both Nova and Seamus, but Seamus more. Mostly on baby horses, baby unicorns are even better.
- Companion Cube: They catch a Creeper in their house in the first version and name it Mendoza. Which somehow glitched out of the space they kept it in.
- In episode 20, Sly and Seamus tamed a horse. What they named it? Nova Jr.
- Which Nova attempted to kill by riding off with him, but failed at it.
- They tamed even more horses as of the 33rd episode. The names so far? The Irish Dick, Shitface, Gooch Lord, Sp00nerism (which later lost his name), and a temporary one, which Nova killed was OMG WTF RUN.
- Nova tamed a cat and named it STANK ASS #4, which keeps crapping all over the place and eating his food. It began to get to a point where Nova was wondering if maintaining a real-life cat would be easier than maintaining a Minecraft cat.
- In the third version, Seamus tamed a Pegasus as part of their series goal and named it Glidey Mc Horse. Sly tamed a panther and named it Pussy Slapper. Finally, a short lived example: Sarah the Creeper, which Nova killed for no reason.
- Deadpan Snarker: Seamus continues the trend from his solo videos. One conversation from episode 9
Sly: What the fuck? Did I just see something fly?
Seamus: I think you're imagining things again.
Sly: No, I'm dead serious. On my screen, something flew.
Nova: It was Seamus.
Seamus: Yeah, it was me. I learned how to fly.
Nova: Motherfucker has secret powers going on
Seamus: I can't tell you guys. It's my secret identity.
- Escalating War: One was going on between Sly and Nova in the second version. It started with Nova breaking a pane of glass out of Sly's house and it continued until Nova blew up Sly's house. Sly's revenge? Punching Nova off the highest point in the world.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Both Nova and Seamus react with disgust when Sly compares Seamus to Nick Cannon.
- Funny Background Event: Throughout several videos Sly's dogs can be heard attacking each other in the background, and then later attacking Sly.
- Ho Yay: Invoked. Between all three of them. They were discussing bed arrangements and Sly had built all three beds in a triangle around a single torch. Nova questioned him and Sly remarked back "So we can play footsie".
- And all that talk about sharing a bed with Sly and Seamus.
- Ironic Echo: What's that down there
- Jerkass: Nova is this, most notably in the second series. He was against Sly and Seamus connecting their houses to his, constantly belittled Sly, and in this video, blew up Sly's house with some TNT.
- In Nova's defense: Sly and Seamus never really respected Nova's property in the second series. Seamus placed giant mushrooms all over the place much to Nova's annoyance, Sly kept altering Nova's house and building walkways connecting to it without his consent, and he tried to blow up his house with a TNT trap as a prank (see Token Evil Teammate entry below).
- Large Ham: Nova
- Only Sane Man: Due to his chill nature, Seamus often becomes this when Nova and Sly start to argue or other general insanities occur.
- Orphaned Series: Since Sly has retired from The Creatures, it's unlikely the series will continue outside a miracle.
- Refuge in Audacity: What their commentary seems to run on. All the innuendo they make towards the game, the Ho Yay, even the completely random and vulgar conversations they have, would make a normal person think the three were crazy. But it is so damn funny at the same time.
- Not to mention Nova talking abouta baby horse ghost infecting his penis in episode 36. When Sly mentioned that when he died, he was going to infect Nova, it just rolled off the deep end.
- In episode 50, the three were talking about vulgar stuff, as usual. After Seamus had did something especially vulgar, they started talking about being too inappropriate for the Creatures and Nova said at one point "We may be inappropriate, but but even we have our limits"
- Reset Button: Gets hit very often in these videos.
- Rule of Funny: Seamus's Princess Peach skin. Not joking.
- Running Gag: In the first version (the one with 1.7), they keep getting woken up by zombies and skeletons.
- Their troubles with Creepers and Spiders
- In the third version, their troubles seem to be with the fact that every enemy in the game seem to appear at night and wreck everything.
- In the second version, Seamus built a giant mushroom on top of his house and Nova kept seeing mushrooms everywhere, which turned out to be Sly planting them all over to piss off Nova.
- The constant Day 3 jokes "Day 3 of being chased by a spider" etc...
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Uttered by Sly when Nova punched him off the mountain they spawned on in episode 9
- When Sly got blew up by a surprise Creeper in episode 35
- Serious Business: Played for Laughs by the three when Sly didn't know what to do, Nova said "You should check the wiki before you do any videos" and Seamus was making mistakes in the game on purpose, like not breaking dirt with a shovel, and finding a bunch of coal and only taking three pieces. Nova was not amused.
- Shout-Out: Several.
- Take That!: Sly sent one to Seamus by comparing him to Nick Cannon.
- Later in said episode, Nova sent a huge one to Nick Cannon after Sly had asked how many people like Nick Cannon.
Nova: Nick Cannon is one of the greatest entertainers of all time
Sly: What is he great for?
Nova: (without changing tone) Absolutely nothing.
- Token Evil Teammate: Sly. Sly found some TNT somewhere and planted it inside Seamus's house for craps and giggles. Then he got bored because Seamus wasn't back yet and placed it in Nova's house. Then Nova found out and defused the TNT.
- Unpleasable Fanbase: In the fourth episode they talk about the Minecraft fanbase's reaction to the rain update.
Nova: How long does it fucking rain for, dear God.
Sly: I don't know this is annoying.
Nova: Everyone was waiting for the rain update and now it's one of the annoyances.
Sly: *laughing* I know right?
Seamus: *mocking voice* Oh my God, weather effects! Oh wait, we don't like them!
Nova: *mocking voice* Now it fucking sucks, it's making my FPS go down, it's fucking lagging, it doesn't stop, it's loud, enemies don't die...
- Up to Eleven: The monster spawns during night in the third version, which had about five spiders, four ogres, and a lot of big cats. Which led to hilarity as Nova kept spawning in the middle of a monster circle and getting killed.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Sly and Nova, all the way. Sly tried to blow Nova up with TNT, which didn't work out, placed mushrooms all over, which had Nova blaming Seamus for the mushrooms spreading, and was constantly stealing stuff from Nova.
- They have lightened up in the later episodes, with them still taking the occasional potshot at each other.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle: Done when Nova asked where Seamus was at. Cue groaning by Nova and Sly.