open/close all folders
- The image of people the caliber of Lois Lane, Amanda Waller and half the Squad, including serious heavy hitters such as Vixen, Bronze Tiger and Nemesis, getting the Pie in the Face is simply too much to ignore. Then they kick the prankster, Captain Boomerang, on a desert island. And when Waller congratulates herself for finally getting rid of Boomerang, another pie hits her face.
- And of course, they have to return for Boomerang. In the time they've left him in the island he's built a huge boomerang out of materials he's found in the island. Just to prove how much of an idiotic idea it was, Vixen sets off the launching mechanism for the boomerang. It crashes in a huge rock seconds after being launched. The formerly boasting Boomerang returns to his bootlicking persona moments after a priceless scene.
- The entirety of the issue where Doctor Light is sent to Hell, and is resurrected. Only to find himself still in the coffin with no way out. And so again to Hell with him. Or the first Doctor Light reviving and getting out of his grave still halfway decomposed, trying to be a hero, only to get beaten up and destroyed by the fundie family he tried to "save". And again Arthur Light when he gets yet another chance to get out (possessing the female Doctor Light for a while before being kicked out and humiliated yet again), and begs Waller for a job... to find her dismissing him and suggesting he find a job with the Justice League.
- Captain Boomerang again. In the first issues, he wasn't above trying to spin the Suicide Squad program so he could get a fancy house outside Belle Reve and time at his leisure so he could commit crimes freely with the Mirror Master equipment. Unfortunately, for him, he got caught... as Mirror Master. He thought at the time he was being confused with the original Mirror Master, Sam Scudder, when he got drafted by Waller into the Squad... again. During a graveyard stakeout in which the team was attacked by zombies and steadily zombified, Boomerang made repeated, and miserable, attempts to keep switching between Mirror Master and Boomerang. Until the lights went on, and the whole charade was revealed: it was all a setup to humiliate him - and inform him he had lost all privileges... including voluntary stay in the Squad.
- And when he got slapped with the explosive wristband of the Squad as Mirror Master, Boomerang had to conceal it, as he technically was assumed to be a loyal agent who didn't need it. He hid it under an arm cast.
- The revelation that even other Australians can't stand Boomerang, considering him a national disgrace. In fact, they prefer to think he's an American putting on the bad act of being Australian.
- Grant Morrison's appearance - because he had foolishly written himself into an Animal Man story to mess with its No Fourth Wall, which meant he was officially a DC Universe character that Waller could deploy - wherein he's almost immediately killed because his writing skill was useless in a fight.
- From Issue 1:
- From Issue 2:
Harley Quinn: Zombies?!? I'm going to squeal! I love zombies!
- From Issue 4, Yo-yo explaining how he got his name.
Yo-yo: Cool, right? It's how I got my name—I can yo-yo my size. Wanna see me scary thin?Harley Quinn: Yes!Deadshot: No.
- From Issue #22, where the team is snarkily reintroduced in the captions.
King Shark: My name is Trixie. I like to party.Caption: KING SHARK: His name is Trixie. He likes to party.
- With Ostrander back in the writer's chair for War Crimes, and getting to mix in his old characterizations while riffing on the Suicide Squad film versions, there's a lot of fun dialogue to be had.
Captain Boomerang: "Rex"?!
- From Issue 1:
Mad Dog: Don't start.
Boomerang: Or what, mate? If you want to barney, I'm your man.
Mad Dog: "Barney"?
Harley: Don't mind Boomerbutt. He likes to make up words and phrases and pretend they mean something in Australian. ...REX.
Boomerang: (Mock-indignant) Don't CALL ME THAT! No one gets to call me that!
(Harley starts cackling)
- And then, to add insult to injury, Waller (the one who came up with the name), again calls him Boomerbutt.
- The main series itself is no slouch:
Harley: (Clinically watching Croc get the bends and vomit into his suit) Fascinating. Croc's going to drown in his own space helmet. Also, that's a lot of what I can only presume are hot dogs.
Harley: Hey, Katana, read any good books lately?
- In Issue #2, Harley attempts conversation while fighting a hallway of goons:
Katana: (Stoic silence)
Harley: ...Any good films?
Katana: (More silence)
Harley: What about neoliberalism? Do you, like myself, subscribe to the theory that -- as an ideology -- it is largely to blame for the majority of issues, economical AND ecological, currently facing our troubled planet?
Katana: (Yet more silence)
Harley: Guess I'll take that as a "no".
- In that same fight, Katana and Harley kill 20 or so men, while Digger takes out exactly one, with a boomerang that arcs over five panels straight into a guy's face. He even shouts "You're welcome!" afterward.