Funny: Linkara Riffs
open/close all folders
Word to the Wives
- "I'll never find a hat as nice as Linkara's."
Housewife: Remember, I haven't got your dream kitchen to make things easier. Mine's strictly the nightmare type.Linkara: Rotting carcasses, blood oozing from the walls, and the garbage disposal isn't working!
- The constant mockery of just how incompetent the father is.
Linkara: I think the problem here has less to do with husbands, and more to do with George.
- His disgust at a dish being made with grape jelly and mustard, which he turns into a Running Gag on other episodes.
Holiday from Rules
- "Yeah, you can't have fun in cold places. Living in Minnesota, I would know."
- "Let's play another game. Maybe one where rules aren't so important." "Dudes, Calvinball!"
- "Sharks do not obey the laws of man"
- (singing) I'll...make a man...out of you!
- The hamster.
- Linkara: *as hamster* Oh god, just put me out of my misery now, the crew hasn't fed me for three weeks! *the hamster escapes* FREEDOOOM!
Kid: There's no rule saying he can't kill himself if he wants to.Linkara: OH GOD!
The Bottle and the Throttle
- "The Bottle and the Throttle: the gripping love story of our time."
- Upon seeing a caption that the film was produced in cooperation with the Culver City, California police department: "But not in cooperation with Culver's restaurants. They want you to drink and drive."
- And when that screen was still on after a few seconds
Linkara: Yes, I think were sober enough to read that, can you move on- *screen changes* oh.
- And when that screen was still on after a few seconds
- "Flannel shirts happen to everyone, Bill."
- His constant joking of the narrator's strange drawl.
- Narrator: Alcohol is not a stimulant, but a sedative.Linkara: *as the narrator* As you may have noticed I've taken a few sedatives myself.
- When the narrator mentions how you make unwise decision, driving while drunk.
- Linkara: *as narrator* Like activating your rocket jets and revealing your secret alien technology.
- "You see here, Bill here has a sickness. A sickness called 'homosexuality'."
"Oh geez the narrator is going off about them again! Did you take away his whiskey?"
" If you want to learn more about the homosexual, check out my other short called 'Boys Beware'."
- "And now we go into the Tony Stark scale of drunkenness."
Let's Be Good Citizens at School
- His constant mocking of how the film keeps skipping frames: "Geez, at the rate we're losing frames, this short's gonna be over in two minutes."
- Culminating in this joke at the end:
Linkara: And remember: being a good citizen is about parents who make cookies, or if your name is Harvey. Barring that, you could always— Or even just— Thank you and good ni—.
- Culminating in this joke at the end:
Just a Spark
- "Just a Spark: The Vapora story!"
- When a character starts speaking with a French accent, Linkara remarks: "Benzaie!".
- "Oh, thank God the Stock Footage will stop the fire."
- "You know, I don't believe this is a real forest fire. It looks nothing like the one from Birdemic."
- "Geez, how is a 9-minute short rivaling Manos for the number of driving shots?"
- "This is the worst Fast and the Furious movie since the last one."
- "Oh no, Bill from The Bottle and the Throttle is behind the wheel again!"
Beginning to Date
- About 5 minutes in, the protagonist thinks about what he'll say as he gets to the door.
Narrator: His next problem is, what to say when he gets to Helen's door?. Bill wonders who's going to open the door.Linkara: I masturbate to your picture every night— (the father answers the door) Oh.Narrator: ...Now let's do it again, and suppose that Helen opened the door.Linkara: I masturbate to your father's picture every night-- (Helen answers the door) Oh.
- "Comic books? Who the hell talks about comic books?"
- "Just a few more hours until I can drink." "But it's eight thirty!" "I know what I said!"
- Whenever a character yells "You didn't! You didn't!" Linkara can be heard yelling "Did too! Did too!!"
What about School Spirit?
- "Discussion problems in group living. Also known as, 'pay your half of the rent or I'm kicking you out of the apartment!'"
- "Exposition is go!"
- "The smile of a man who licks your photograph every night."
- "School spirit equals modest cheerleader outfits."
- All the jokes about how they talk up Bob Corby as the best person ever.
Thought for Food & Arranging a Buffet Supper
- "My thought for food is that I wish jam was more convenient. Like being handy or something."
- "They fight a lot, but stay together because the sex is fantastic."
Narrator: Good morning, Mrs. Homemaker.Linkara!Wife: Up yours, mailman.
Narrator: …Laboratories have competent workers for the making of practically every known chemical, physical, bacteriological, and biological test.Linkara: Some day, we'll find the perfect balance of grape jelly and mustard.
Narrator: These peaches are going to be analyzed and tested for quality, quantity, and everything else.Linkara: "Everything else" includes how they feel when placed on genitals.
Narrator: [The taste testers] put the final stamp of practical approval on the activities of this modern organization.Linkara: And then you just skip it, and go out to Denny's for Baconalia anyway.
Narrator: He puts [the flour samples] through a series of tests. But the most interesting of all is how he determines the protein content of the flour.Linkara: Unless he shoves it up his nose, I doubt it's that interesting.
- His surprise at the "Thought for Food" short cutting off mid-sentence due to it being incomplete.
Narrator: She has learned that what is correct in terms of etiqutte is also highly practical and logical.Linkara: Like not sticking your spoon into another person's ear.
- The Call Back to the "Thought for Food" short:
Narrator: …how [the buffet] should be served, and what preparations she should make for arranging a buffet supper table.Linkara: Step one: weigh her peaches.
Narrator: …since the guests will eat informally, eating wherever they wish to seat themselves.Linkara: One guest will take up permanent residence on the toilet.
- The Running Gag about how everything needs to be simple.
- "Oh, hi there. Didn't see you come in, probably because I'm talking to a camera."
Linkara: Ah, my favorite Christmas movie. The British Board of Film Censors.Willnote : Isn't this the one where, at the end of the film, the censors learn the true meaning of Christmas and decide to stop censoring work?Linkara: You know it.Amethystnote : So why is there a ghostly apparition of a book over other books?Linkara: Well, to avoid appearing racist, this movie's version of Marley is played by a book.
- The three of them singing to "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" during the opening credits. Linkara gets to the last line and starts to call the movie a "piece of sh—" when the other two cut him off and say, "Hey, it's Christmas!"
- Their remarks at the off-key rendition of "The First Noel" at the beginning, such as:
Will: A mating moose Christmas album!Amethyst: Uh, guys, ever since you started playing, people have been taking money away from charity.Linkara: So uh, this is the first sound version of A Christmas Carol, right?Will: Yeah.Linkara: Well, who's up for a silent version?Amethyst: Me.Will: Right on.
- "This Marley has ceased to be! He's an ex-business partner!"
- (after Scrooge mutters) "Go home, Scrooge, you're drunk."
- "Even in this century, people clamor for a Turbo-Man doll."
Scrooge: Bah, humbug!Linkara: Scrooge is just trying to turn that into a meme.
Scrooge: Tell them to stop that noise.Linkara: Hey, stop that noise!Amethyst: (as Scrooge) I coulda done that!
Amethyst: Wait, is that a plastic bucket in 1840's England?Will: Well, the ghosts of Christmas work in mysterious ways.
- Every time they start singing. In particular, during the redition of "God Save The Queen", they start singing "My Country Tis Of Thee" and then shout "AMERICA!!!! WHOOO!!!"
- During Marley's visit:
Scrooge: Speak words of comfort to me, Jacob Marley. Speak words of comfort!Will: (hoarsely, as Marley) Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur...
Town crier: Twelve o'clock and all's well…Amethyst: This has been a test of the emergency town crier system.
- "Well, the Metamucil's kicking in."
Linkara: (as Scrooge) But it doesn't make any sense! What about my childhood? What about my relationship with my father and sister?Amethyst: (as Ghost of Christmas Past) That wasn't important.Linkara!Scrooge: Yes it was! I was already an asshole by this point! What about Fezziwig and first meeting Belle?Amethyst!Ghost: Look,we're on a tight budget here. It's either your tragic past or a kid getting slapped with a fish. We can't have both!
- "It was either get a pudding or pay the electrical bill. Guess which one won out."
- "Does this bug you? I'm not touching you~"
Scrooge: Ghost of the future, I fear you more than any specter I have seen.Linkara!Scrooge: Except for Phil Spector. That guy's scary.
- All the jokes about the signs obscured by shadows, leading to jokes about "Xchanc" and "Fajoe Dealer".
- "Is this the audition for the ugliest hag in London pageant?"
- After a shadowy head appears, they start singing "Bohemian Rhapsody" together.
- "Hah, 17 year old jelly babies. How Ashens."
- "Considering how poorly lit this whole thing is, it's hard to see if these are people or sentient moles."
Scrooge: I see—Linkara: Well, I'm glad somebody does! Turn on a light, for God's sake!
- "Oh hey, evidence that this film was only lit by a candle!"
- After a character stumbles over a line: "I'm sorry, I screwed up the take. Should we redo— what, keep going?"
- "You know, it's tragic and all, but the Cratchits should take some consolation in knowing that their flat was just voted 'Murkiest Hovel in London' by Better Homes and Slums magazine."
Linkara: Wait a second, they still have the body [of Tiny Tim]?Amethyst: Yeah, did you think we were joking about him getting stuffed and mounted?
- When Scrooge sees his own grave...
Scrooge: EBENEZER SCROOGE!Linkara: Somewhere, a gopher turns around dramatically.
- "Time-Life presents Music to Shave To."
- "We've secretly replaced their normal Scrooge with Folger's Crystals. Let's see if they notice."
- "Family Life, or as it's better known, Family I-Wish-I-Was-Dead."
Narrator: Some people are asking how the Millers manage to have so much fun as a family.Linkara: Lots of alcohol.
Daughter: No one seems to care that I have a date at 7:00.Linkara: It's even someone you disapprove of! Pay attention to me!
- After the film skips: "I think this family has bigger issues. Time keeps hiccuping!"
Mrs. Miller: If this family were a business—Linkara: I could fire my children and hire cheaper children overseas.
- "Dad's not working on finances. He's baffled by the Junior Jumble."
Mrs. Miller: It's worth a try.Linkara: She said the same thing when she decided to try a diet exclusively of Wendy's chili.
Mrs. Miller: Well, if we were a business, wouldn't we have a plan for spending our money?Linkara: Well, yeah, but then you'd keep getting bailouts from the government, too.
Narrator: That's how the Millers came to manage their home so it would be more fun.Linkara: By being anal retentive.
Narrator: Because by scheduling the work she does each day, [Mrs. Miller] saves herself from doing too much.Linkara: And so her work ends up half-assed and unfinished.
Narrator: With responsibilities go privileges.Linkara: Male privilege ensures that mother and daughter will never have lives outside the home.
- "What would Bob Corby do?"
Graffiti: Fun or Dumb?
- "Frank Miller looks at this building and wants to have sex with it."
- (after someone spraypaints "Jim + Mary" on a wall) "Well, thanks sweetie, but my name is Susan!"
- (after a credit for "Vancon Films") "Vancon, still more dignified than Dashcon."
- "Don't spray paint the camera, you idiot! Now we can't watch the film!"
- "Some people must decide: is graffiti fun?" "♪Some nights I stay up makin' my graffiti...♪"
- "A number of would-be artists have been hurt by subway cars and electric shock." "Well, maybe if they didn't lick the tracks."
- "Bob Corby forever!"
- "Yes, writing on your desk, a sign of psychological disturbance!"
- "Drawing graffiti is a little like getting a tattoo." "It's declaring your love for a band that will soon fall out of favor."
Dating Dos and Don'ts
- "How do you choose a date?" Dart board.
- "How do you ask for a date?" Desperately.
- The Hi-Teen Carnival requires a date, "not like going with a crowd." That's the Orgy Carnival.