is an Irish film based on the book of the same name
. When Sharon Curley finds herself pregnant with the titular snapper (Dublin slang for baby), her life and the life of her immediate family is set to change forever.
Things get complicated when the father of the baby turns out to be George Burgess
, the father of her friend and neighbour (possibly by rape). Of course, she denies this, claiming that the father is an unknown Spanish sailor. However, she ends up a pariah around her hometown over it.
The film is a huge Cult Classic in Ireland
that has been subject to much Memetic Mutation
. Even two decades after its release, it's still oft quoted.
This Movie Shows Examples Of:
- Captain Ersatz: In the original book, the family was the Rabbitte family from The Commitments. Due to a rights issue, the name of the family was changed to Curley. Interestingly enough, the third book in the trilogy, The Van would do this again with the father of the family again played by Colm Meaney, making him a Captain Ersatz of a Captain Ersatz.
- Child by Rape: George Burgess is implied to have taken advantage of Sharon while she was drunk.
- Convenience Store Gift Shopping: Subverted. Darren wants a bicycle for his birthday. Des presents him with a bicycle pump, claiming he'll buy him the bike in pieces. He reveals that he's only joking and presents Darren with an old fifties-style bicycle with a basket on the front and reveals that he's joking again before presenting a brand new bike.
- Cluster F-Bomb: The movie's dialogue is riddled with four letter words.
- Dashing Hispanic: The mythical "Spanish Sailor" that Sharon claims is the father.
- Deadpan Snarker: Pretty much everybody.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Even while heavily pregnant, Sharon takes the time to get pissed and go clubbing.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Miles O'Brien is Des.
- Pat Mustard is George Burgess. Mary and the Monkey Priest also make appearances.
- Large Ham: Dessie manages to combine this with Deadpan Snarker.
- Mama Bear / Papa Wolf / Big Brother Instinct: All of Sharon's immediate family have elements of this. Kay slaps Mrs. Burgess when she accuses Sharon of being a slut, Craig starts breaking the windows of the Burgess house and Dessie rallies around Sharon like no other, even threatening to castrate Burgess with a pair of gardening shears. Even her younger sister starts beating up the local boys when they start making fun of Sharon's situation.
- Oh Crap: Sharon's reaction when she finds out that her father has discovered that she is pregnant by Burgess.
- Teen Pregnancy: Subverted. Des tells Sharon that, at nineteen, she's too young to have a baby. Sharon corrects him, stating that she's actually twenty.
- Too Dumb to Live: The kids seem to constantly be playing with the electrical sockets in the kitchen.
- Weapon for Intimidation: When Craig was serving in Lebanon, he was apparently given a gun with no ammunition, so he had to stare down the Arabs really hard.