Film / The Sinners of Hell
(地獄), also known as The Sinners of Hell
, is a 1960 Japanese horror film directed by Nobuo Nakagawa and starring Utako Mitsuya and Shigeru Amachi.
Shirō did not want to get anyone killed, but a gang leader named Kyōichi is killed thanks to the driving of his acquaintance Tamura. Kyoichi's mother, who witnesses the whole thing, plots revenge upon both of them. Shirō tries to report the incident to the police, but an accident occurs on the way there, and gets his fiancee Yukiko killed. Then he gets sidetracked with visiting his mother Ito, who is sick and dying, as well as meeting Sachiko, the daughter of a disgraced painter who is painting a portrait of Hell. Kyōichi's mother and his girlfriend attempt to avenge themselves, but everything goes pear-shaped as Shirō, Sachiko, Tamura, Kyōichi's mother, Kyōichi's girlfriend, and everyone at a party all wind up dead. And then, everything goes straight to Hell. Literally.Needs Wiki Magic Love
This film contains examples of:
- Asshole Victim: You know what, it would be easier to count the victims that aren't in this movie!
- Avenging the Villain: Kyōichi's girlfriend Yoko, as well as his mother, decide to work together and go after Shirō.
- Driven to Suicide: Mr. and Mrs. Yajima, Kyōichi's mother, and Ensai.
- Dysfunction Junction: Just about everyone in this film has committed a terrible sin, and are not very likeable either.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Kyōichi has a mother, as well as a girlfriend named Yoko, who both work together to get revenge on Shirō.
- Everybody Hates Hades: Lord Enma, since he oversees hell/the underworld and acts as a judge for the damned rather than a devil figure.
- Gorn: It's often considered the first ever splatter flick, even predating the 1963 Blood Feast, and for good reason.
- Hell: Following everybody's deaths at the party, everyone winds up in Hell. The film is notable for graphically showing the torments of Hell. And we do mean graphically!
- Ironic Hell: A man who took water from a dying fellow soldier during World War II gets a torment similar to that of Tantalus.
- Karma Houdini: Averted. Everyone ends up dead and in Hell, being punished for their sins!
- Kill 'em All: The movie doesn't stop there, however!
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Ensai is Shirō's actual father, Sachiko is is Shirō's sister, and Ito is Shirō and Sachiko's mother.
- Religious Horror
- Revenge: This is what Yoko and Kyōichi's mother have in mind when it comes to Shirō.
- Split Personality: It is very possible that Shirō has this, with Tamura as his dark side, like with Fight Club.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Sachiko and Yukiko look very much alike.
- The Sociopath: Tamura. He runs over and kills Kyōichi without even blinking over it, and blames Shirō for wanting to drive down the alley in the first place.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: Yukiko and Sachiko.
- Yakuza: Kyōichi is a Yakuza gang leader who was drunk, as well as hit and killed by the car Tamura was driving. His death kicks off the plot.
- Your Cheating Heart: Gōzō cheats on his wife Ito with his mistress Kinuko without even trying to be discreet!