Film: The Haunting Hour
R. L. Stine's The Haunting Hour: Don't Think About It is a 2007 live-action direct-to-video children's horror movie and it's routinely shown on Cartoon Network during the month of October.Cassie is a thirteen-year-old Goth who just moved to a new neighborhood. She finds a mysterious Halloween store down an alley, and buys a book called The Evil Thing, which contains a warning on the front page: "DO NOT READ ALOUD!"After doing just that, The Evil Thing is brought to life, and it captures Cassie's brother Max, the Alpha Bitch Priscilla, and a Papa John's delivery guy. It is then up to Cassie and Sean to stop The Evil Thing.Later on, R.L.Stine created a TV series of the same name that isn't related to this movie.
This film provides examples of:
- Alpha Bitch: Priscilla
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Cassie and Max have a moment of this, when she rescues him.
- Big Bad: The Evil Thing.
- Break the Haughty: Priscilla.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Evil Thing fits this pretty well. It is slimy, has tentacles, a giant gaping maw, and can split its one head into two.
- Not to mention the fact that it's only real so long as you think about it. And death is a minor inconvenience for it.
- The End... Or Is It?: At the end of the movie, Cassie pitches the book into the fire to dispose of it, but the parents take it out...and start reading it. OUT LOUD. Then, the power dies...and the movie ends.
- Goth: Cassie
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Jigsaw runs the mysterious store.
- The Little Shop That Wasn't There Yesterday
- Product Placement: A ridiculous amount of it for Papa John's Pizza.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore
- Too Dumb to Live: So, you go to this creepy shop, with an owner who, quite frankly, is creepy as all hell, and buy a creepy looking book which you are warned in advance that you should never, under any circumstances, read aloud and you decide to deny the warning (and the aforementioned creepiness of the situation) and do it anyway, based solely on the fact that your admittedly annoying little brother accidentally deleted your assignment. Wow, Cassie.
- Tsurime Eyes: Cassie manages to pull off a rare Western, live action example of this trope.