Film: The Crawling Eye
Horror film from the year 1958. Originally known as The Trollenberg Terror.At the remote Alpine village of Trollenberg, someone or something is killing off mountain climbers. The culprits turn out to be an army of one-eyed, tentacled beasts from outer space, who hide themselves in a radioactive cloud. Crawling along like snails, these horrific creatures attempt to neutralize their human foes by pumping a freezing fog at their pursuers. It matters not at all that some of the locals have been mentally enslaved by the monsters. It's up to American scientist Alan Brooks to save the day.This was the featured movie in the first Comedy Central episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000. For that version please visit the episode recap page.
Tropes used in the film:
- Gorn: This film is shockingly gore-soaked for the period in which it was made.
- Hostile Terraforming: The film is about aliens' native air slowly enveloping a mountain and later the surrounding area.
- Molotov Cocktail: Used to fight the monsters.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Forrest Tucker, F Troop co-star and the first Ghost Buster, plays Alan Brooks.
- Whole Plot Reference: Freakazoid! used this as the basis of an entire episode ("The Cloud").