When Tarantula ran for the hills"
This film provides examples of:
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever
- Developing Doomed Characters: We don't really see the spider in its fully-grown, people-eating, building-destroying glory until about 47 minutes into the film. Until then, there's just a few shots of it escaping the lab and wandering around in the desert.
- Failed a Spot Check: Steve is apparently unable to see the giant tarantula filling her entire window whilst wandering around her bedroom.
- Gender-Blender Name: "Steve" Clayton. Short for Stephanie.
- Giant Spider: Ummmm, duh.
- Hot Scientist: Stephanie "Steve" Clayton.
- Mad Scientist: Deemer. He's nice enough, but making a serum to make animals grow to huge sizes is definitely Mad Science.
- My Car Hates Me: Two policemen attempt to flee the tarantula in a car that was working fine not two minutes before. Naturally, it won't start.
- Professor Guinea Pig: Revealed to be the fate of Deemer's fellow researchers, who tested the growth nutrient on themselves despite failed animal testings.
- Rodents of Unusual Size: Deemer's lab has couple of blown up rats, rabbits and guinea pigs.
- Screaming Woman: Steve
- Spiders Are Scary: Especially the 100 foot high ones. But this one was scary enough when only the size of the aforementioned large dog.
- Touch of the Monster: Of the Rape of the Sabine Women variety, see above.
- Covers Always Lie: There is no scene of the tarantula holding a woman in its jaws in the film.
- Weird Science