Film: Tape 407
Tape 407: The Mesa Experiment is a 2012 found-footage horror film. It's also known as Area 407 in the United States.The film opens with two teenagers flying from New York to Los Angeles on New Year's Eve. Their nightmare begins when their plane hits extreme turbulence mid-flight. The relentless weather attack causes panic and terror amongst the passengers until the plane ultimately crashes in a remote government testing area. The handful of survivors from the crash, bloody and disoriented, are then insistently pursued in the darkness by unknown predators that are part of the government's top-secret Mesa Experiment.A sequel, Area 407: Part II is in production. On top of dinosaurs, the film will also feature zombified soldiers. From what is seen in the trailer, it will not be another Found Footage film.
The film contains the following tropes:
- Camera Abuse / Ominous Visual Glitch: As the film progresses, the video has more static and glitchy display problems, moreso when the creatures are around. Oddly enough, the glitches are more in common with a film camera than with a digital one.
- Darkness Equals Death: And there are very few lights to keep it at bay…
- Developing Doomed Characters: Everything up until the crash.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: Inverted by the creatures of the film
- Expy: The plot of the film shares similiarities with an unused film script of Jurassic Park 3.
- Final Girl: Averted. Oh so averted.
- Found Footage Films
- Government Conspiracy: With the regular solution that follows.
- Hope Spot: Returning to the plane, the survivors find food, beverages, and other supplies to help them survive, including the cameras with the powerful lights seen previously. Even Charlie starts making nice with everyone. Then Lois gets eaten.
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday: The crash and subsequent events happen during the morning of January the First.
- Kill 'em All: Not even the man who kills the girls to uphold the masquerade survives!
- Nothing Is Scarier: You never really get to see good glimpses of the beasts, but rather you simply hear its noises and shrieks.
- Raptor Attack
- Stock Dinosaurs: Raptors, to be precise
- Stock Footage: One of the earliest trailers to the sequel featured dinosaur effects that was created by splicing footage of the Tyrannosaurus and Velociraptor from Jurassic Park
- Super-Persistent Predator: They're raptors, what the hell do you expect?
- Trailers Always Spoil: The trailers for the film spoil the fact that the predators hunting the characters are actually raptors.
- X Meets Y: The film is a cross among Quarantine, The Grey and Jurassic Park.