Daisy: Don't worry about me. I'm not gonna be slinging pizza for the rest of my life.
Leona: The best pizza!Mystic Pizza is a Coming of Age drama starring Julia Roberts, Annabeth Gish, Lili Taylor, Vincent D'Onofrio, William R. Moses, Adam Storke, Conchata Ferrell, John Fiore and Joanna Merlin.Kat and Daisy are sisters who, along with their best friend Jojo, work at the pizza place of the title. Jojo is engaged to be married to Bill, who runs a fishing boat, but while she loves Bill, she's not sure she's ready to get married. Kat, who's working other jobs to help pay for Yale, takes on a babysitting job and becomes attracted to Tim, the man she's babysitting for. Finally, Daisy, the "bad sister", gets involved with Charlie, a rich guy.
This film contains examples of:
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Daisy to Kat, after Kat implies that Daisy is a slut.Daisy: Wipe your conscience.
- California Doubling: Most of the film was actually shot in Rhode Island, as the real Mystic, Connecticut was a popular tourist attraction even before the movie came out. However, there were some scenes that were shot in the real town.
- Caustic Critic / The Dreaded: Hector, the TV gourmet critic. Leona speaks of him disdainfully whenever he's on-screen (Daisy teases her about this), but when he shows up unexpectedly, she ends up watching him eat as worriedly as everyone else. When he leaves after only eating one slice, Leona reverts to calling him a "moron" again. However, he ends up praising the food (if not the service) and there's a promise of increased business because of this.
- Cry into Chest: Kat does this with Daisy after Tim sleeps with her and then ignores her when they come home to find his wife has returned from England.
- Distracted by the Sexy: When Charlie first happens into one of the local bars with his friends, he bets one of the locals he can make three bulls-eyes in a row on the dart board, and drink a shot of tequila before each throw. He makes the first two bulls-eyes easily, but as he's about to down his third tequila shot, he sees Daisy for the first time, and they share a look. Needless to say, Charlie's final dart throw is way off the mark.
- Fainting: Jojo does an emotional faint in the opening scene - at her own wedding.
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: Daisy and Kat. It starts out good-naturedly, at least until Kat doesn't show up for a shift, forcing Daisy to break a date to meet Charlie's family. (They do make up with each other; see Cry into Chest).
- Heroic BSOD: Kat after she sleeps with Tim, only for him to ignore her when his wife comes home.
- It's All About Me: A subtle example; when Charlie finally is able to take Daisy home to meet his family, he ends up doing what he thinks is exposing his family's hypocrisy. However, Daisy ends up storming out, and when he follows her, she points out his family was just being themselves, and he was just using her to embarrass them and score points off of them.
- Knew It All Along: Leona after the TV gourmet critic gives Mystic Pizzeria a favorable review.
- Parents Walk In at the Worst Time: Bill has come over to Jojo's house while her parents are asleep. She tries to have sex with him, but seeing as they're in front of religious statues, he's not in the mood, and wants to talk about them getting married. She doesn't want to hear it, and says if Bill mentions marriage one more time, she'll scream. Sure enough, he does, she screams, and her parents come in and chase Bill out of the house.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Daisy is red to Kat's blue.
- Regional Speciality: The pizza.
- Relative Error: Daisy is having fun with Kat and Jojo outside of a country club when she sees Charlie with another woman; in a rage, she pours two barrels of fish into Charlie's convertible. Except it turns out the woman is Charlie's sister.Daisy: (crying) I fucked up.Charlie: Yeah, but you gave it 100% effort.
- Reveal Shot: Near the end of the movie, Bill is sitting in his truck listening to Jojo tell him he has to let her be her own woman, and nothing's going to change about that. He grins, and says, "Except that you're married." The camera then pans over to Jojo, who is indeed wearing a wedding gown, and smiling.
- Running Gag: Jojo's futile attempts to get Leona to tell her what the secret ingredients in the pizza are.
- Shout-Out: As Daisy is about to win the game of pool, Charlie's jealous date calls her a hustler (though she could also have been referring to this).
- Also, after Daisy, Jojo and Kat steal Bill's truck, they're seen singing along to "Respect".
- Show Some Leg: When Charlie's car gets a flat tire, they try to hitch a ride. Daisy tries to do this to get a ride, but it doesn't work. Charlie acts like he's going to do this, but instead drops his pants; *that* gets them a ride.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Daisy.Daisy: Jesus Christ, these shoes are killing me.Mitch: Ah, do you have to talk like that?Daisy: I'm sorry; what I meant to say was, "These fucking shoes are killing me."
- Suspiciously Apropos Music: The lyrics to the song playing when Daisy and Charlie play pool together are definitely in Captain Obvious territory (even the song's title, "Is It Hot In Here?").
- The Unfavourite: Daisy, which she lampshades:Daisy: Kat's such a good girl. Where did we go wrong with her sister Daisy?