Film: Mystery of the Wax Museum
Mystery of the Wax Museum is a 1933 horror film.When sculptor Ivan Igor's wax museum is burned down by his treacherous partner, he is left devastated. Ten years later in then-present day New York, he opens a new museum, with more lifelike statues than ever before....It was later remade as House of Wax (1953) which in turn was remade as House of Wax (2005).
This film provides examples of:
- Alliterative Name: Ivan Igor, who also has Two First Names.
- Asshole Victim: Joe, Ivan's former partner who is still running shady deals (booze-related mostly).
- Battle Amongst the Flames: Joe and Ivan start fighting each other as Ivan's first wax museum burns down around them.
- Can Only Move the Eyes: Charlotte passes a few statues, whose gaze follow her.
- Chairman of the Brawl: The cops get a wheelchair thrown at them in the climax.
- Damsel in Distress: Charlotte in the climax, as she is under threat of becoming a waxed corpse.
- Fainting: When Charlotte is shown the truth behind the wax museum, she faints.
- Freudian Slip: After realizing that the wax statue of Joan of Arc is really a corpse of Joan Gale, Florence rushes out of the museum and farewells Ivan with "see you in jail".
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday: The events in New York starts just after the New Year Has Come.
- Insurance Fraud: Joe burned down Ivan's previous wax museum to get his hands on the fire insurance to clear away their debts.
- Intrepid Reporter: Florence, who proceed's headfirst into danger to get a story.
- Mad Artist: Ivan is determined to restore his previous creations, no matter the cost.
- Perp Sweating: Cops keep questioning Darcy, and he spills the beans on Ivan's operation as he starts going cold turkey from his drug addiction.
- The Reveal: After Igor gets up from his wheelchair and grabs Charlotte while ranting about his Marie Antoinette, she starts hitting his face, which crumbles away to reveal that it was a rather convincing wax mask and that he was the disfigured bodysnatcher seen throughout the film all along.
- Scenery Gorn: The burning wax museum in the opening.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: In the end of Florence's and her editor's bickering, he suddenly proposes her and she accepts.
- Strapped to an Operating Table: Charlotte is tied to a table for the waxing procedure.
- Wax Museum Morgue: As Ivan incapable of reconstructing his previous body of work, he has corpses delivered to him to be waxed.
- You're Insane!: Ivan's response when Joe tells him about the fire insurance fraud.
- The X of Y