Mystery of the Wax Museum
is a 1933 horror film.
When sculptor Ivan Igor's wax museum is burned down by his treacherous partner, he is left devastated. Ten years later in New York, he opens a new museum, with more lifelike statues than ever before....
It was later remade as House of Wax (1953)
, and which in turn was remade time as House of Wax (2005)
This film provides examples of:
- Alliterative Name: Ivan Igor, who also has Two First Names.
- Asshole Victim: Joe, Ivan's former partner who is still running shady deals.
- Battle Amongst the Flames: Joe and Ivan start fighting each other as Ivan's first wax museum burns down around them.
- Can Only Move the Eyes: Charlotte passes a few statues, whose gaze follow her.
- Chairman of the Brawl: The cops get a wheelchair thrown at them in the climax.
- Damsel in Distress: Charlotte in the climax, as she is under threat of becoming a waxed corpse.
- Fainting: When Charlotte is shown the truth behind the wax museum, she faints.
- Freudian Slip: After realizing that the wax statue of Joan of Arc is really a corpse of Joan Gale, Florence rushes out of the museum and farewells Ivan with "see you in jail".
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday: The events in New York starts just after the New Year Has Come.
- Insurance Fraud: Joe burned down Ivan's previous wax museum to get his hands on the fire insurance to clear away their debts.
- Intrepid Reporter: Florence, who proceed's headfirst into danger to get a story.
- Mad Artist: Ivan is determined to restore his previous creations, no matter the cost.
- Perp Sweating: Cops keep questioning Darcy, and he spills the beans on Ivan's operation as he starts going cold turkey from his drug addiction.
- The Reveal: After Igor gets up from his wheelchair and grabs Charlotte while ranting about his Marie Antoinette, she starts hitting his face, which crumbles away to reveal that it was a rather convincing wax mask and that he was the disfigured bodysnatcher seen throughout the film all along.
- Scenery Gorn: The burning wax museum in the opening.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: In the end of Florence's and her editor's bickering, he suddenly proposes her and she accepts.
- Strapped to an Operating Table: Charlotte is tied to a table for the waxing procedure.
- Wax Museum Morgue: As Ivan incapable of reconstructing his previous body of work, he has corpses delivered to him to be waxed.
- You're Insane!: Ivan's response when Joe tells him about the fire insurance fraud.
- The X of Y