Москва слезам не верит.Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears
(Москва слезам не верит, Moskva slezam ne verit
) is a 1980 Soviet dramedy film directed by Vladimir Menshov
about the lives of three provincial girls who come to Moscow for work. Along with War and Peace
, Dersu Uzala
and Burnt by the Sun
, Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears
was one of four Russian-language films to win the Best Foreign Film Oscar. Vera Alentova
plays the lead, Katya.
- Academy Award
- The Alcoholic: Gurin after the Time Skip.
- Cool Train: The ER2 that Katya and Gosha ride.
- Did You Just Have Sex?: When Alexandra suddenly came back home, her mother and Gosha hastily pretended they were watching television, but she saw through it.
- It didn't help that TVs of that time sometimes took a few seconds to turn on. The TV came on about a second after the daughter came in.
- Glorified Sperm Donor: Rudolf, who knocked up Katya and then blew her off, but 20 years later wants to get to know his daughter.
- Happily Married: Antonina and Nikolai
- Kitchen Sink Drama
- Politically Incorrect Hero: Gosha can't deal with it when he finds out that Katya is much more successful in life than he is.
- Though he is more upset that she lied to him, rather then she is successful
- Time Skip / Age Cut: Katya sets her alarm clock and goes to bed one evening. It rings to wake her up again—and it's twenty years later.
- Title Drop