According to The Other Wiki
, Flesh and Blood
(stylized as Flesh + Blood
) is a dramatic adventure film by Paul Verhoeven
, set in The Renaissance
(in Italy, it seems) though the themes are more typical of The Middle Ages
and often is called a medieval drama. It is the first American movie by this Dutch director.
The movie centers around a gang of mercenaries and thieves leaded by Martin which foundend themselves in an Army of Thieves and Whores
, which their noble employer refuses to pay after have used them to regain a city
.The ungrateful nobleman is Arnolfini whose son Steven is an Adorkable
youngman who is interested more in learning
than fighting and whoring unlike most of the people he hangs out with.His father has settled his marriage with a beautiful, highborn and virgin young girl and he's not interested at all until, you 'now, he sees her. Agnes (so this is how the lady is called) is beautiful and very interested in learning how seduce men and enjoy love
. While they are enjoying their blossoming romance, they are caught by Martin's gang who starts a fight with Arnolfini's men and robs them. Agnes founds herself unfortunately hidden in the gang's chariot, and when they discover her, she's raped
by Martin who's manipulated by Agnes in falling and caring for her (though the attraction is somewhat mutual) and so he wants to keep her to himself
.Steven does not give up and tries to regain his girlfriend storming the castle where she hides in
, while we don't know how much exactly Agnes is manipulating Martin to stay alive until the very end.
This film contains exemples of:
- Arranged Marriage: Agnes and Steven, and he's not pleased... initially.
- Arson, Murder, and Admiration: After Steven's wife is kidnapped by mercenaries, he and his father go to the mercenaries' former commander Hawkwood. Steven bullies him into helping get her back by threatening the woman Hawkwood is caring for. As Steven has been portrayed up till now as rather bookish and ineffectual, his father laughs and notes with approval, "You're as ruthless as I am!" Steven just replies grimly, "When I have to be."
- Betty and Veronica: Agnes is desired by noble gentleman Steven and adventurous mercenary Martin.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Celine to Martin, and she's the first to notice his affection towards Agnes.
- Creepy Child: Anna's son, who plays drums while watching a girl being raped.
- If I Can't Have You: Martin says that if he can't have Agnes he prefers rather killing her and almost does so.
- I Will Find You: Steven spends most of the movie trying to get Agnes again.
- Ill Girl: The girl who lived in the castle that Martin sacked.
- Kill 'em All: All the members of the gang except Martin.
- Manipulative Bitch: It's shown that Agnes is basically a manipulative girl since the beginning, when she lures her servant to show her how she has sex with a man, then seduces Steven who initially refused to be engaged, and then manipulates Martin in taking her for himself so she won't be gang-raped.