According to The Other Wiki
, Flesh and Blood
(stylized as Flesh + Blood
) is a dramatic adventure film by Paul Verhoeven
, set in The Renaissance
(in Italy, it seems) though the themes are more typical of The Middle Ages
and often is called a medieval drama. It is the first American movie by this Dutch director.
The movie centers around a gang of thieves leaded by Martin which foundend themselves in an Army of Thieves and Whores
, which their noble employer refuses to pay after have used them to regain a city
.The ungrateful nobleman is Arnolfini whose son Steven is an Adorkable
youngman who is interested more in learning
than fighting and whoring unlike most of the people he hangs out with.His father has settled his marriage with a beautiful, highborn and virgin young girl and he's not interested at all until, you 'now, he sees her. Agnes (so this is how the lady is called) is beautiful and very interested in learning how seduce men and enjoy love
. While they are enjoying their blossoming romance, they are caught by Martin's gang who starts a fight with Arnolfini's men and robs them. Agnes founds herself unfortunately hidden in the gang's chariot, and when they discover her, she's raped
by Martin who's manipulated by Agnes in falling and caring for her (though the attraction is somewhat mutual) and so he wants to keep her to himself
.Steven does not give up and tries to regain his girlfriend storming the castle where she hides in
, while we don't know how much exactly Agnes is manipulating Martin to stay alive until the very end.
This film contains exemples of:
- 80sHair: They were cool even in The Renaissance!
- All Girls W Ant Bad Boys: Obviously what drives Agnes' attraction to Martin.
- Ambiguous Ending: Martin and Agnes reunites, but Agnes sees Martin being alive and says nothing to Steven, leaving open if Martin will come back or not.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Martin gives one to Agnes before trying to kill her.
- Aristocrats Are Evil
- Army of Thieves and Whores: Truth in Television, obviously.
- Arranged Marriage: Agnes and Steven, and he's not pleased...initially
- Badass Book Worm: Steven becomes one.
- Betty and Veronica: Agnes is desired by noble gentleman Steven and adventurous mercenary Martin.
- The Black Death
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Martin, and Agnes is almost a female example.
- Book Ends: Opens and cloese with a siege.
- Caught with Your Pants Down: When Agnes' handmaid is having sex with a soldier and she spies them.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Agnes, at some point.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Celine to Martin, and she's the first to notice his affection towards Agnes.
- Crazy Jealou Guy: Martin developes in one.
- Creepy Child: Anna's son, who plays drums while watching a girl being raped.
- Damsel in Distress: Deconstructed with Agnes.
- Death by Irony: The Cardinal gets stabbed by the St. Martin statue.
- Fanservice: Guess from who.
- Fille Fatale: Agnes developes in one since her early scenes. Later combined with The Vamp.
- The Fundamentalist: The Sinister Minister who joins the gang.
- Handsome Lech: Martin
- If I Can't Have You: Martin says that if he can't have Agnes he prefers rather killing her and almost does so.
- I Will Find You: Steven spends most of the movie trying to get Agnes again.
- Ill Girl: The girl who lived in the castle that Martin sacked.
- Infant Immortality: Cruelly averted.
- Kill 'em All: All the members of the gang except Martin.
- Manipulative Bitch: It's shown that Agnes is basically a manipulative girl since the beginning, when she lures her servant to show her how she has sex with a man, then seduces Steven who initially refused to be engaged, and then manipulates Martin in taking her for himself so she won't be gang-raped.
- No Honor Among Thieves
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: A nightmarish one.
- Rape, Pillage, and Burn: Lot of this.
- The Renaissance
- Screaming Birth: Celine carries a child who turns out to be stillborn.
- Son of a Whore: Anna's son and Celine's stillborn one.
- Sinister Minister: The priest who is with Martin's gang and believes them to be protected by St. Martin.
- Stockholm Syndrome: It's not clear how much Agnes fakes it.
- Storming the Castle
- The Vamp: Oh, Agnes!
- Villainous Crush: The source of all troubles for Martin.
- Virgin Power: What attracts Martin in Agnes
- Woman in White: Agnes and Martin, who were at the beginning in red