Equinox: A Journey into the Supernatural is a low budget Cult Classic B-Movie from 1968, which is featured in the Criterion Collection. It is notable because its director Dennis Muren later went on to do effects for Star Wars and was a founding member of ILM.Recut in 1970 by Jack Harris (the man who also produced The Blob) and retitled simply Equinox, it enjoyed a long run on late night TV and in the drive in circuit. More footage was shot by a different director, who saw fit to put himself in the movie as the new main antagonist, Asmodeus.
Tropes present in Equinox include...
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The various creatures, especially the blue-skinned ogre and the creature that kills the old man.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Did anyone really believe for a second that Asmodeus was a real park ranger?
- Cassandra Truth: No one believes Dave's story.
- Character Filibuster: Dave really wants you to know about the mythology behind the book.
- Curiosity Killed the Cast
- Daylight Horror: The entire movie takes place during the day.
- Deal with the Devil: Asmodeus tries to make one to Jim.
- Downer Ending: Everyone gets killed by monsters except for one guy, and one year and one day later, well, read the rest of the page.
- Eldritch Abomination: The tome summons two of them, one, a squid and the other, an ape. There's also an ogre, but it's less eldritch and more fantasy based.
- Framing Device: The movie is being told in flashback by Dave in a mental hospital.
- Horny Devils: Asmodeus.
- In One Year And One Day: YOU WILL BE DEAD!
- Kill 'em All: It's implied Dave will die at the end, like all his friends.
- Magi Tech: Believe it or not. The magic in this movie relies on symbols and is described as:... Manipulation of these symbols is treated exactly like the science of chemistry. This element changes that one, one symbol is a catalyst, another is an agent or a counteractant.
- Meaningful Name: Park Ranger ASMODEUS!
- Neutral Female: Susan and Vicky.
- Screaming Woman: Vicky.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: The book they find which is the crux of the plot.
- Too Dumb to Live: "I just remembered! 'Asmodeus' is Greek for 'Devil'!"
- Not to mention the whole exploring a dark cave after they heard maniacal laughter from within and the sounds of something gigantic and unseen flying away.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: After Dr. Waterman dies and disappears from reality, the movie (and characters) seem to completely forget he ever existed at all. Which makes sense, if he disappears from reality.