Film: Dead Heat
Dead Heat is a 1988 Black Comedy film. It stars Treat Williams and SNL comedian Joe Piscopo.After a violent bank robbery showdown, detectives Roger (Williams) and Doug (Piscopo) discover at the morgue that the criminals corpses had previously been brought in on a separate shooting occasion. When they discover a chemical substance in both bodies, they investigate a corporation which produces the material. As they investigate, Doug finds a hidden room with a strange device, and a zombie comes out and fights both of them. The incident ends up getting Roger killed, but Doug is interested in the strange machine he saw and uses it on Roger.Roger is successfully brought back to life, but they discover some bad news; He will only live for less than a day before his body falls apart. As they investigate the secret behind this machine, the undead Roger is able to withstand bullets, submerge in water without breathing, and take heavy amounts of damage, all while hoping to solve the case before it's too late.
Has the examples of:
- Better to Die Than Be Killed: McNab would rather eat his gun than be arrested. Subverted when the heroes decide to run him through the resurrection machine, twice.
- Bloody Hilarious: The notorious Chinese deli scene. Or the final fate of McNab.
- Book Dumb: Doug.
- Chekhov's Gun: The decompression room.
- Cowboy Cop: Both Roger and Doug.
- Cut Himself Shaving: Roger's answer to Randi when she asks him about his makeup.
- Da Chief: Captain Mayberry.
- Dead Weight: The biker zombie that Doug and Roger fight against in the research facility.
- Dragon-in-Chief: McNab.
- Electrified Bathtub: Roger kills one of the zombies sent after Randi by getting it into a hot tub and throwing a stereo after it.
- Exploding Fish Tanks: A fish tank gets destroyed in one of the shootouts much to the dismay of the owner
- Facial Horror: Many of the zombies especially Roger after the Ambulance explodes and the Biker zombie
- Go Into the Light: Roger was going into the light before he was resurrected.
- Also implied in the ending.
- Immune to Bullets:
Doug: Remember the good old days when bullets killed people?Roger: You're just jealous, that's all!
- The zombies.
- Played for Laughs with a zombie-on-zombie Uzi fight late in the movie.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Doug kills a zombie by driving a metal pole through it.
- Incongruously Dressed Zombie: The big ugly biker.
- It's a Long Story: Roger's answer when asked about his undeath.
- Kill 'em All: Unusually, by the end of the movie, every single major cast member has been killed.
- Locking MacGyver in the Store Cupboard: Instead of killing Roger, Dr. McNab locks him into an ambulance.
- Meaningful Name: Roger Mortis turns undead.
- Nightmare Face: Again, Roger Mortis after the Ambulance explodes and some of the other zombies
- Pun-Based Title: The title qualifies, once you remember that "heat" is also slang for "the police."
- Punch! Punch! Punch! Uh Oh...: Happens when Doug tries incapacitate one of the zombies with a Groin Attack.
- Punny Name: Roger Mortis (rigor mortis).
- Raising the Steaks: Thule resurrects a bunch of animals in his restaurant to attack Doug and Roger.
- Shoot Out the Lock: Roger shoots his way into the cemetery.
- Two-Faced: Half of Roger's face ends burned in an explosion.
- Undeathly Pallor: The zombies. When Roger sees that he's paling, he buys some cosmetics to fix it.
- Vanity License Plate: Dr. McNab's BODY DOC.
- Whodunnit to Me: Roger needs to find out who killed him before he decomposes.
- You're Just Jealous: How Roger snarks about how, being undead, he's effectively Immune to Bullets.