Confessions of a Shopaholic
is a 2009 film adaptation of the Shopaholic
series of novels by Sophie Kinsella. It was directed by P. J. Hogan and stars Isla Fisher
as the central character, Rebecca Bloomwood, the shopaholic journalist.
The story follows Rebecca Bloomwood, a self-professed shopaholic who has bought her way into debt with her many, many, many purchases. The film follows her recalling how this sorry state came to be and illustrates her attempts to overcome the detrimental affliction and work her way out of debt.
This film provides examples of:
- Awesome, but Impractical / Boring, but Practical: How Rebecca defined a "real present" and a "fake present" in her youth. "Real" presents were fancy things that didn't last a month, "fake" presents were dull things that would last a long time.
- Chick Flick
- Cold Cash
- Evil Debt Collector: The debt collector. No surprise there. Goes as far as to humiliate the lead on national television, which by the way is against the FDCPA (the part about disclosing debt to third parties). Too bad she was too dumb to sue the collector to oblivion for it (which given the recorded footage she would have won).
- This isn't very different than the way debt collectors are in reality, and most people don't know that they have grounds to sue.
- The debt collector is actually a Composite Character of both Derek Smeath and John Gavin. Derek Smeath in the books turns out to be an understanding 'uncle' type who actually helps Becky pay off her debt, John Gavin is more stern and hostile, as seen in the movie. Essentially he's only Derek Smeath in name.
- Fun with Foreign Languages: Rebecca spices up her resume by claiming, falsely, that she's fluent in Finnish. After she gets the job, her skills are put to test in a cocktail party with an actual Finnish person. Not ready to admit the truth, Rebecca solves the situation by slapping the man in front of everybody and claiming that men like him are the reason she left Finland. What the man was actually saying is not really that abusive: "Hi! So nice to meet another Finn in here! Ever since I've been here in Americ—" *slap*
- Genius Ditz: The lead.
- Look Behind You: During a job interview.
- Pre Meeting
- Recycled Trailer Music
- Two First Names: Luke Brandon.