A 2006 parody of gay movies and teen movies. The plot very closely follows American Pie
, but with gay characters: the four teenage friends Andy, Nico, Jared and Griff make a pact to lose their anal virginity by the end of the summer. Goes straight for the Squick
and, well, isn't for everyone (although it's a lot
better than some similarly-titled movies
Spawned a sequel of dubious quality called Another Gay Sequel: Gays Gone Wild
— which takes its plot from Girls Gone Wild
This film contains examples of the following tropes:
- Actor Allusion: Stephanie McVay reprises her role from Edge of Seventeen, and the coming-out scene is almost identical until the comedic twist. Writer and director Todd Stephens also wrote Edge of Seventeen. Not to mention the poster of Edge of Seventeen in the video shop.
- All Gays Are Promiscuous
- Ass Shove: Quite a lot, particularly with Andy.
- Bi the Way: Andy's dad, when they encounter each other in a public bathroom.
- Butch Lesbian: Muffler.
- Camp Gay: Nico, massively. His mom tells him "Duh!" when he comes out to her.
- Cast Full of Gay: Not sure if there's a single straight character in the whole movie.
- What about the blind chick?
- Caught with Your Pants Down: The first scene with Andy masturbating with vegetables; a later scene where he is caught having sex with a quiche, with a gerbil up his ass.
- Coming-Out Story: Mostly averted, and subverted when Nico's mom knows already and thinks it's obvious — showing up in the next scene covered in PFLAG badges, spoofing the mom from Queer as Folk.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: The first scene involving Andy and a collection of oddly shaped vegetables, clearly a spoof of American Pie.
- Dawson Casting: About as much as one might expect in order to legally depict teen sexuality, but especially notable is Nico, whose actor was nearly 30 at the time of filming yet still looks age-appropriate for a high-school graduate.
- Depraved Bisexual: Andy's dad.
- Drag Queen: Andy's mom.
- Four Man Band:
- Fun with Acronyms: Spoofing MILF to get GILWAD, something along the lines of "Grandad I'd Like to Wine And Dine Me".
- Their home town is San Torum (a reference to the word santorum), and the high school sports team is called the San Torum Donkeys.
- Gay Guy Seeks Popular Jock: Between Griff and Jarrod.
- Incest Is Relative: Andy nearly gets it on with his dad in a public bathroom... then in the second movie they have full on raging sex by accident.
- Latin Lover: Andy's boyfriend in the second movie.
- Lesbian Jock: Muffler.
- Love Epiphany: Griff and Jared.
- Love Triangle
- A Man Is Always Eager: Parodied, subverted and inverted, the guys are gay, but they're all eager to have sex, while still being nervous about it. Plus, they all proclaim themselves to be the dominant "tops" of their relationship, including the submissive "bottom". The one who is most eager about having sex is actually a lesbian who "converts" several of her straight female classmates.
- May-December Romance: Nico hooks up with Muffler's grandad.
- Quest for Sex
- Sensual Slavs: Graham Norton's character.
- Sex Comedy
- Sex as Rite-of-Passage
- Shout-Out: Numerous films are referenced or spoofed, and Nico and his mom own a video store, and he spends most of the day adorning the walls with gay film posters.
- Straight Gay: Jared. Andy and Griff veer towards this too.
- The Twink: Nico.
- Token Lesbian: Muffler.
- Transparent Closet: Nico.
- Where Everybody Knows Your Flame: The bar in the first movie.