Film / Air Buddies
is a series of direct-to-DVD
movies produced by Walt Disney Pictures
. The series is a spin-off series to Disney’s Air Bud
The movies are about Air Bud’s five puppies: Budderball, B-Dawg, Buddha, Mudbud and Rosebud, who all go out together on a crazy adventure. Unlike the original Air Bud
series, however, in this movie series, the animals talk.
As of today, these are the following films in the Air Buddies
These movies provide examples of these tropes:
- The Ace: Pretty much every guest dog in each movie.
- Christmas Episode: Santa Buddies.
- Cool Old Guy: Deputy Sniffer.
- Also Bartelby's grandpa in Super Buddies.
- Covers Always Lie: On the Air Buddies posters, B-Dawg is seen wearing sunglasses. However, he does not wear them at all in the movies.
- Cute Bruiser: Rosebud.
- Demoted to Extra: Buddy, the star of Air Bud, was demoted to a smaller role in these movies. While he and Molly did have good-sized roles in Air Buddies and Snow Buddies, they are more AWOL in the other films.
- Diabolus ex Nihilo: Unlike Stan Cruge, Ms. Stout is given no Freudian Excuse for why she hates Christmas. She just does.
- Dogs Are Dumb: Deputy Sniffer is somewhat like this.
- The Dog Bites Back: From Snow Buddies: Jean Georges' huskies, who were constantly insulted by their owner, turn on him in the end.
- Drives Like Crazy: Denning.
- Dumbass Has a Point: Obviously, Grim points some of these out in Air Buddies.
- Evil Brit: Spinkel, the main villain of Air Buddies.
- Five-Man Band:
- Foreshadowing: In Santa Buddies, when Puppy Paws wishes Christmas would go away, Santa Paws tells him that's a terrible thing to say. This is a foreshadowing to its spin-off prequel, Santa Paws 2, when that wish is actually granted, then Hilarity Ensues.
- French Jerk: Jean Georges of Snow Buddies.
- Fun-Hating Confiscating Adult: Ms. Stout from The Search for Santa Paws. She not only confiscates any toys or Christmas decorations she finds, she also incinerates them in the furnace.
- Gasshole: Budderball has a habit of passing gas every time someone pulls his paw.
- Girly Girl with a Tomboy Streak: Rosebud is a pink-loving fashion freak who is generally proud of her femininity but she gets into occasional mischief with her brothers, is feisty and adventurous, and plays soccer which is a rather masculine sport.
- The Grinch: Stan Cruge from Santa Buddies and Ms. Stout from The Search for Santa Paws. Only Cruge gets better.
- Halloween Episode: Spooky Buddies.
- Heel–Face Turn: Jean Georges' huskies, after Adam, Shasta and the Buddies save them from the ice.
- Homage / Mythology Gag:
- In Air Buddies, the five balls the Buddies are carrying in their mouths◊ when they're left alone with the babysitter, are references to the five different sports Buddy played in the Air Bud movies. It also shows what sport each pup is interested in.
- In the first film, Buddy's picture in the newspaper is the one from the Air Bud movie poster.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: In Santa Buddies, Santa Paws' dog helpers fall into this category.
- I Don't Think That's Such a Good Idea: In Space Buddies when the Buddies and Sputnik debate over who should fix the rocket.
- Let Him Choose: At the end of the first movie, Budderball chose to live with Spinkel's kid.
- Not Allowed to Grow Up: Averted in the Air Bud series, but played straight in the Air Buddies series.
- Oddly Named Sequel 2: Electric Boogaloo: Santa Buddies spawns its own set of sequels.
- Odd Name Out: B-Dawg is the only one of the Buddies that doesn't have "Bud" in his name.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: In some movies, Rosebud is wearing something pink in contrast to her brothers just to indicate where she is amongst the group.
- Pink Means Feminine: Rosebud wears pink in every film and she is very feminine.
- Plucky Girl: Rosebud is very feisty, brave, protective, and this adds up with her catchphrase Girl Power!
- Punny Name: All five of the Buddies have a name that relates to their personality and is a pun on the word "Bud".
- Rich Bitch: Spinkel and his kid in Air Buddies.
- Scooby-Dooby Doors: Happens in Air Buddies.
- Shout-Out: In Air Buddies, when the Buddies are at the drive-in movie, 101 Dalmatians is playing.
- Spin-Offspring: Air Bud is the father of the Buddies, whereas the Buddies are the stars of these movies.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Denning and Grim in Air Buddies.
- Tongue on the Flagpole: Budderball's tongue gets stuck to an icicle in Snow Buddies.
- Totally Radical: Mostly from B-Dawg.