is a series of direct-to-DVD
movies produced by Walt Disney Pictures
. The series is a spin-off series to Disney’s Air Bud
The movies are about Air Bud’s five puppies: Budderball, B-Dawg, Buddha, Mudbud and Rosebud, who all go out together on a crazy adventure. Unlike the original Air Bud
series, however, in this movie series, the animals talk.
As of today, these are the following films in the Air Buddies
These movies provide examples of these tropes:
- The Ace: Pretty much every guest dog in each movie.
- Adult Fear
- An Aesop
- Animal Talk
- Ascended Extra: Each Buddies movie has one guest dog joining the Buddies.
- Battle Couple: Buddy and Molly.
- Beware the Nice Ones: The Buddies sometimes get vicious when they fight.
- Big Eater: Budderball, obviously.
- Big "NO!": Budderball says this in Super Buddies when Captain Canine dies.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Sometimes Rosebud.
- Catchphrase: Budderball's catchphrase is "Oh, sweet mama!" and B-Dawg has several catchphrases.
- Chase Scene
- Christmas Episode: Santa Buddies.
- Conspicuous CG: Most scenes that involve any of the animals, mostly since they can talk.
- Cool Old Guy: Deputy Sniffer.
- Also Bartelby's grandpa in Super Buddies.
- Covers Always Lie: On the Air Buddies posters, B-Dawg is seen wearing sunglasses. However, he does not wear them at all in the movies.
- Cute Bruiser: Rosebud.
- Demoted to Extra: Buddy, the star of Air Bud, was demoted to a smaller role in these movies. While he and Molly did have good-sized roles in Air Buddies and Snow Buddies, they are more AWOL in the other films.
- Diabolus Ex Nihilo: Unlike Stan Cruge, Ms. Stout is given no Freudian Excuse for why she hates Christmas. She just does.
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?
- Disney Dog Fight: A standard in these movies.
- Dog Stereotype
- Dogs Are Dumb: Deputy Sniffer is somewhat like this.
- The Dog Bites Back: From Snow Buddies: Jean Georges' huskies, who were constantly insulted by their owner, turn on him in the end.
- Drives Like Crazy: Denning.
- Dumbass Has a Point: Obviously, Grim points some of these out in Air Buddies.
- Evil Brit: Spinkel, the main villain of Air Buddies.
- Five-Man Band:
- Foreshadowing: In Santa Buddies, when Puppy Paws wishes Christmas would go away, Santa Paws tells him that's a terrible thing to say. This is a foreshadowing to it's spin-off prequel, Santa Paws 2, when that wish is actually granted, then Hilarity Ensues.
- French Jerk: Jean Georges of Snow Buddies.
- Fun-Hating Confiscating Adult: Ms. Stout from The Search for Santa Paws. She not only confiscates any toys or Christmas decorations she finds, she also incinerates them in the furnace.
- Gasshole: Budderball has a habbit of passing gas every time someone pulls his paw.
- The Grinch: Stan Cruge from Santa Buddies and Ms. Stout from The Search for Santa Paws. Only Cruge gets better.
- Halloween Episode: Spooky Buddies.
- Heel-Face Turn: Jean Georges' huskies, after Adam, Shasta and the Buddies save them from the ice.
- Homage / Mythology Gag:
- In Air Buddies, the five balls the Buddies are carrying in their mouths◊ when they're left alone with the babysitter, are references to the five different sports Buddy played in the Air Bud movies. It also shows what sport each pup is interested in.
- In the first film, Buddy's picture in the newspaper is the one from the Air Bud movie poster.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: In Santa Buddies, Santa Paws' dog helpers fall into this category.
- I Don't Think That's Such a Good Idea: In Space Buddies when the Buddies and Sputnik debate over who should fix the rocket.
- Let Him Choose: At the end of the first movie, Budderball chose to live with Spinkel's kid.
- Not Allowed to Grow Up: Averted in the Air Bud series, but played straight in the Air Buddies series.
- Oddly Named Sequel: Santa Buddies spawn its own set of sequels.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: In some movies, Rosebud is wearing something pink in contrast to her brothers just to indicate where she is amongst the group.
- Punny Name: All five of the Buddies have a name that relates to their personality and is a pun on the word "Bud".
- Rich Bitch: Spinkel and his kid in Air Buddies.
- Scooby-Dooby Doors: Happens in Air Buddies.
- Shout-Out: In Air Buddies, when the Buddies are at the drive-in movie, 101 Dalmatians is playing.
- Spin-Offspring: Air Bud is the father of the Buddies, whereas the Buddies are the stars of these movies.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Denning and Grim in Air Buddies.
- Tongue on the Flagpole: Budderball's tongue gets stuck to an icicle in Snow Buddies.
- Totally Radical: Mostly from B-Dawg.