TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Fanfic Recs: Pokémon Authors and Websites
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Pokémon
authors and websites, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic you like to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
, full stop.
- Recommended by Griffin
- Comments: Some of her fics have made it onto the general recommendations, but I would like to say her work as a whole is good, if extremely dark. Seriously. If you don't like "training is slavery" stories, you probably won't like her work. Still, some of them can bring on extremely tearjerking moments.
- Seconded by NeoQwerty
- Thirded by Fool
- Recommended by Dialga X
- Comments: He has written the Poke Wars Series. While he does have some slight grammatical issues in his earlier stories he more than makes up for them with rich character development and absolutely dazzling action sequences. His grammar improves quite a lot in the later stories too.
- Recommended by discorobots
- Comments: While generally her fics can be summed as "people talk and nothing happens," the beauty lies in how she punctuates characterization. All of her works consists of dialogue and small titbits that builds up wonderful character study fics. Her strongest character seems to be Green and does a wonderful job of writing him in multitudes of situations that leads people to understand more of his persona.
- You might want to check out Kuruk and Chrysa as well if you're into those types of fic.
- Recommended by Coffee Included, Life of Pi, Rawkstar Vienna
- Comments: Most of these are drabbles and the like, but she has truly excellent characterization; in fact, that tends to be her focus. She's done stuff with each of the generations, with an emphasis on semi-novelizations (is that the correct term)? of Soul Silver and Black. Funny, serious, and occasionally touching, her works are generally relatively short one-shots that are easy to read but never skimp on the quality. Definitely worth a look.
- Life of Pi: Her work is simply beautiful. I personally recommend her Concordia story, which tells the story of Black/White from Concordia's point of view. It's just amazing.
- Rawkstar Vienna: I've been following Scrawlers on her dA account for quite a while now, and I must admit it: her work is absolutely brilliant. She's fantastic with characterization and prose; anything she churns out turns out to be quite a masterpiece. I recommend her story, Concordia, as well as Procrastination for a good laugh, and Mother's Day for something a bit more heartwarming.
- Recommended by Mattman324, Syncogon
- Comments: She's a great fanfiction writer, with most of her fanfictions taking ideas that no one else thinks of and expanding on them. She very rarely starts a fanfic that turns out either bad (Mundane Story being the only example) or abandoned (Trial by Water... for other reasons). Most of her bigger ones (Mage Ruby, The Ballad of Deoxys and Mewtwo, PMD Loopholes) live on the plot mixed with some comedy, but her more serious work (Six Spirit, Mage Ruby (again), her one shots) are also good reads.
Rave The Rich
- Recommended by Pichu
- Comments: Chandelure's works are typically drabbles, some less than 200 words, but they're rather powerful and descriptive. They typically lean toward grimdark but not overly so.
- Recommened by Nightshade1218
- Comments: Recognizable by his distinct and fluently extensive writing style, Rave is probably best known in the Pokemon fanon for his Yuri stories, including A Confession Gone Awry (Dawn/Zoey), All Roads Lead To The Grand Festival (May/Kelly) and his newest WIP The Buster Gets Busted (Iris/Georgia). Some of his works are heavy with mature content, and notably Pokemon (including pokemon battles) are rare in appearances, but his works are exceptional slice of life fics.
(actual story found here
- Recommended by 1810072342.
- Synopsis: Due to events a long time ago, people around the world find themselves transforming into Pokemon. They have to live in secret underground bases to prevent humans going insane about the discovery (this takes place in the real world, and not even a fictional version), and the Pokextinction movement wants them wiped out.
- Comments: A fully developed story which inspired a group of continuation stories on the same concept and an entire group on the website, with a community and group events. The story itself is well-written and entertaining, especially if you want something outside the usual fanfic stuff. It may well be interesting as an exercise in seeing how an idea done well enough can prompt a reaction of that kind, or even of artist development (the story quality picks improves considerably as time goes on, although it's not exactly terrible to begin with). All in all, worth a look if you want a Pokemon story that you'll probably never have seen the same kind of before.