Fanfic Recs: Knights of the Old Republic
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth turning to the dark side for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Fan Fics
written around Knights of the Old Republic
, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped.
Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into non-canon
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
A related page is Star Wars
Authors, and Websites
The Unofficial Knights of the Old Republic Fan Media Site
- Recommended by
- A web-site entirely devoted to KOTOR fandom, be it art or stories. Stories have to be approved before they can be published, so there is a degree of content control. One gripe, however, is that stories have to be published chapter-by-chapter, separately. Which means no single fic with a table of contents. This does help cultivate one-shots, however.
As of 2014 while the forum is up, the actual fanfiction archive is down.
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
The Trouble With Crystals
by Sith Lord Darth Revan
Every Hour on the Hour
- Recommended by USA Bobcat
- Synopsis: After the events of KOTOR, Revan resorts to Sith Alchemy to find the Dark Lord of the Sith. Unfortunately, it sends him a little bit farther than he planned.
- Comments: A darkly snarky and moody Revan that fits the in-game hype, tossed into the beginning of the Clone Wars. Not kidding about fitting the in-game hype, this Revan is sarcastic, Mandalorian, an amazing Jedi, and a tactical genius. This is not a PC somebody designed, this is the Revan you hear about, the Revan you are told spook stories about. And leaving out Revan, the mixture of Movie, EU, and Book leaves nothing wanting. Sadly, it rarely ever updates, but what is already up is quite a read. In addition, the authors other stories are very similar, with exactly the same Darth Revan, in other scenarios and different worlds.
- The problem with this fic is that the Darth Revan presented here, is a Jerk Sue, being nearly insufferable.
, by Jiara-Anatalis
KOTOR: The Prodigy of Revan
- Recommended by: Random Tiger
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: HK-47 goes on patrol on the Ebon Hawk. He scans the ship and its inhabitants. There are occasional interludes where HK has had some protocol installed by the Master or strikes up a conversation. Has some brief mentions of Fem Revan/Carth. If you like HK you will like this fic.
- Tags: Humor
The Sith Lords: I Dreamt of Malachor
by Mazeltov Cocktail
Yet Another KotOR Parody
- Recommended by Sepirahkt
- Synopsis: A canon-divergent novelization of the second Knights of the Old Republic game. Told from the points of view of practically every character but Kreia, the droids, and the Exile, it explores the Exile's journey in a free-form setting that skips over the blander aspects of the game in favor of the story at its heart. Supposed to be the first in a trilogy, with the next two books exploring the Exile's life after the events of the game.
by Helena L
Bump In The Night
- Recommended by Sikon
- Synopsis: Yet Another KotOR Parody, a Script Fic by Helena L, which is Exactly What It Says on the Tin, and in particular interest to tropers.
- Seconded by Doctor U. N. Owen. Possibly the funniest thing I have ever had the fortune to read in my entire LIFE.
- Thirded by Mariecat. Hilarious take on all the difficulities and annoyancances of the first game while keeping true to the plot. Is there one for the second game?
by Triple E
Psychotic Man Slayers
- Recommended by randomfanboy
- Synopsis: Carth desperately wants some sleep, but a prank by Mission ends up making tonight the worst night of his life.
- Comments: Really funny and well written one shot, turning Carth into a Chew Toy. Pantslessness is a recurring motif, for example. There's a relationship between Dyran/Revan and Juhani, but it isn't the focus of the story.
by Triple E
- Recommended by randomfanboy
- Synopsis: Carth tries to patch things up with Dyran, and manages to upset every female on the Ebon Hawk.
- Comments: Sequel to Bump In The Night. Somehow manages to be even funnier. Highlights include Dyran's 'HELP ME' look, and Bastila slapping Carth, although the ending is the Crowning Moment of Funny. Dyran and Juhani's relationship continues, but is still not the focus.
THE REVAN: Jaden Amnesia
- Recommended by Spark Moon
- Synopsis: From the summary: The Ebon Hawk makes a detour to Dantooine. Jedi business. No explanations. To kill time, and to get away, Canderous and Carth go on a hunting trip in the grasslands and talk about the Mandalorian Wars. Male Revan/Bastila, Female Exile mentioned .
- Comments: A delightful read utilizing an interesting -and some might say refreshing- approach to both Carth and Canderous' characters. Criminally underrated and certainly worth your time if you're looking for something fresh in KOTOR fan fic.
- Recommended by TKA 001
- Synopsis: A write-through fic of the first KOTOR game. Written in the first person and advertised as dark-sided male Revan (the titular "Jaden Amnesia") with numerous changes made to the characters, sidequests, and main plot.
- Comments: Fits no category better than So Bad, It's Good. The absurdly-named "Jaden Amnesia" is one of the most exquisite examples of a Villain Sue I've ever encountered. He's a chain-smoking, (presumably) alcoholic, inexplicably powerful, foul-mouthed, bloodthirsty psychopath - all to a narmtastic extreme. The party members' personalities are similarly ravaged, most of them reduced to hammy, melodramatic caricatures. The story is also peppered with spelling mistakes and bizarre grammar, and most of the plot changes are ridiculous. Kashyyyk's planet quest is inexplicably changed to a war against Sith and Mandalorians (culminating in the planet's devastation at Jaden's hands), Jolee's old friend Sunry is changed into an insane cyborg war veteran called "Benedict Sunny", Bastila's mom is changed into some kind of mad scientist supervillain on Manaan, Bastila and Mission have a brief "friends-with-benefits"-type relationship, and more. The craziness just goes on and on and it's utterly impossible to take it seriously. I'm convinced the author is some kind of genius troll. He's persistent, too - up to 36 chapters as of this entry.
So Not My Problem
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by Kthe Cloud
- Status : Complete , Type: Humor /parody
- Paring : Reven/ Baastilla
- Synopsis: All Revan wanted to do was stay alive and try to get with Bastila, in that order. He doesn't want to save the galaxy and he's not looking to help everyone he meets. Tragically, he's surrounded by hero types that keep trying to drag him along for the ride.
- Dont miss the sequel The Jedi Kind of Had it Coming
The Knight and the Princess
- Recommended by Tru Reader
- Synopsis: A new war is approaching and the Exile seeks to join Revan to fight it, but she'll need the help of a few of Revan's old friends. The end has come...
- Comments: Resolutions gets recommended for being more than just a shipping fic. Taking place shortly after the events of the second Knights of the Old Republic title, this presents issues with the Exile's decision to go after Revan, as well as reintroduces several favorites (and not so favorites) from the original game too. Expands well into its own territory. Warning: Female Revan.
by Kaiju Moth
Love, Ass, and Arbitration
- Recommended by The Tygre
- Synopsis: Revan tells his child a bed-time story.
- Comments: Recommended for melting the evil off of my heart and forcing me to feel emotions again.
by Triple E
On Being A Sith Lord
- Recommended by randomfanboy
- Synopsis: Carth mediates a relationship problem between Dyran and Juhani.
- Comments: Hilarious and well-written, just like the others.
by Darth Ammonite
- Recommended by B.B. Rain
- Synopsis: Having a Sith Lord in your head is bad...having a Sith Lord with a really foul sense of humor is even worse.
- Comments: Wonderfully whimsical, a chronicle of the time from Malak revealing Sabine's (Revan's) past, to after the game, when Revan leaves in the Ebon Hawk. The interaction between Sabine and Revan is priceless, as is the bonding with the crew. The commentary about the virtues of Mandalorians alone...It also has serious moments, but they serve to underscore both the following and preceding humor.