Proof that the remaining 10% is worth eating red flowers for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Cave Story Fan Fics
, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped.
Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into homosexual
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
Authors, and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
, by Captain Fabulous
. (Note: Some implied ecchi
content, building off what was already there in the game.)
The Stranger I Knew
- Recommended by Meta Four, jaimeastorga2000, T-Jack Malpercio
- Synopsis: The twitter accounts of Quote and Curly Brace, respectively, providing updates as they experience those last crazy days on Mimiga Island—and in Quote's case, intermittent updates afterwards.
- Comments: This sticks close to the game canon (specifically, the good ending), with fanon to fill in some gaps. The characterization of Quote is rather humorous, as he clearly considers himself the Only Sane Man on Mimiga Island, and reacts to the bizarre NPCs, enemies, and ecosystem with a mix of incredulity and snark. I also like how he begins the story motivated primarily by selfishness and boredom, but develops more heroic motivations over the course of events.
by Black Waltz 0
Two Skies,One Color
- Recommended by Keltena Malpercio , The Criticof Innocence
- Synopsis: The Three Laws of Robotics governs the way that a robot lives and serves humans. With Quote's memories fragmented, he is the only one able to disobey them. Curly Brace has a new mission now, to save him from the stranger inside himself.
- Comments: An odd idea for a story, but brilliantly and very emotionally executed; if you don't at least tear up at the ending, you are not human. Quote and Curly are characterized well, and there are some nice touches, such as giving Quote a last name.
- Seconded; the ending(and the beginning as well) pack a huge wallop of emotion. Plus, if you don't hate the Doctor now, the story makes sure that you will.
Cave Story: A Novelization
- Recommended by dompeace23
- Synopsis: Cave Story/Earthbound crossover in which Ness and Co. are warped to the Cave Story universe during the final battle with Giygas due to a mistake on Pokey's part. Now they must work together to save both universes.
- Comments: Interesting concept. Above average writing and neatly utilizes the original game dialog.
Androids Don't Get Pregnant
- Recommended by phazonfarmer
- Synopsis: After a few months of relaxation, Curly, Quote and Balrog decide to visit the island again. But when they get there, Misery has a few surprises for them...
- Comments: Absolutely hilarious. The characterizations are all very believable. I also liked how Jenka punished Misery's actions regarding the Demon Crown.
started by Mark "shmitz" Major, completed by ZarroTsu on May 4th, 2014.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
Sue: Which is the World for me?
- Synopsis: A fangame sequel to Cave Story, created with the game's level editor. Quote, Curly, and Balrog are suddenly transported back to The Island by Jenka, with no explanation beyond "Help me". Quote must once again navigate the Island, but a lot has changed....
- Comments: A very well-made sequel, characterization keeps well to the original story and follows immediately from the ending of Sacred Grounds.
- A trope page is in the works.
- Recommended by Mistamage
- Pairing: Sue/Kanpachi
- Synopsis: It's been a year after the events of Cave Story, and ever since Sue returned from the island, she's been in a slump, and she can't stop thinking about the island. She decides to return there to figure out why she feels drawn back, and ends up finding more than she'd thought she would...
- Comments: A pretty good fanfiction. Sue and Kanpachi's relationship is grown slowly, and the characters' characterization is pretty well done.