Authors, and WebsitesNone yet. Lonebot and curlehbrace, by Captain Fabulous. (Note: Some implied ecchi content, building off what was already there in the game.)
- Recommended by Meta Four, jaimeastorga2000, T-Jack Malpercio
- Synopsis: The twitter accounts of Quote and Curly Brace, respectively, providing updates as they experience those last crazy days on Mimiga Island—and in Quote's case, intermittent updates afterwards.
- Comments: This sticks close to the game canon (specifically, the good ending), with fanon to fill in some gaps. The characterization of Quote is rather humorous, as he clearly considers himself the Only Sane Man on Mimiga Island, and reacts to the bizarre NPCs, enemies, and ecosystem with a mix of incredulity and snark. I also like how he begins the story motivated primarily by selfishness and boredom, but develops more heroic motivations over the course of events.
- Recommended by Keltena Malpercio , The Criticof Innocence
- Synopsis: The Three Laws of Robotics governs the way that a robot lives and serves humans. With Quote's memories fragmented, he is the only one able to disobey them. Curly Brace has a new mission now, to save him from the stranger inside himself.
- Comments: An odd idea for a story, but brilliantly and very emotionally executed; if you don't at least tear up at the ending, you are not human. Quote and Curly are characterized well, and there are some nice touches, such as giving Quote a last name.
- Seconded; the ending(and the beginning as well) pack a huge wallop of emotion. Plus, if you don't hate the Doctor now, the story makes sure that you will.
- Recommended by dompeace23
- Synopsis: Cave Story/Earthbound crossover in which Ness and Co. are warped to the Cave Story universe during the final battle with Giygas due to a mistake on Pokey's part. Now they must work together to save both universes.
- Comments: Interesting concept. Above average writing and neatly utilizes the original game dialog.
- Recommended by phazonfarmer
- Synopsis: Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Cave Story in the form of a novel.
- Comments: A very interesting read. While it does alter the course of the story a bit, it only does it in situations where story is more important than the game's nature.
- Recommended by Mistamage
- Pairing: Sue/Kanpachi
- Synopsis: It's been a year after the events of Cave Story, and ever since Sue returned from the island, she's been in a slump, and she can't stop thinking about the island. She decides to return there to figure out why she feels drawn back, and ends up finding more than she'd thought she would...
- Comments: A pretty good fanfiction. Sue and Kanpachi's relationship is grown slowly, and the characters' characterization is pretty well done.
Fan Games and ModsThese are games either made from scratch or sometimes with created by using Cave Story's game engine. Jenka's Nightmare started by Mark "shmitz" Major, completed by ZarroTsu on May 4th, 2014.
- Recommended by Tropers/GBAuraRebirth
- Synopsis: A fan sequel to Cave Story. Quote, Curly, and Balrog are suddenly transported back to The Island by Jenka, with no explanation beyond "Help me". Quote must once again navigate the Island, but a lot has changed....
- Comments: A very well-made sequel, characterization keeps well to the original story and follows immediately from the ending of Sacred Grounds. Just a small warning, Jenka's Nightmare: Revived (by MagicDoors) is not this game, they are vastly different from each other. However, that said mod is what drove the creator to rebuild the entire game from scratch because of how much it irked him. If you played that game or saw it on Youtube, you'll probably understand why.
- Now has a trope page.