The Very Secret Diaries by Cassandra Claire are a comical retelling of the Lord of the Rings films in diary form, in the rough style of the Bridget Jones books.
Tropes featured include:
- Ass Shove: In Boromir's section."Day Four: Frodo dropped Ring today. Picked it up, but Aragorn made me give it back. Arrogant bastard. Wonder how he'd feel with Horn of Gondor shoved right up his..."
- Color-Coded Wizardry: In addition to the canonical Lord of the Rings colored wizards, Saruman is corresponding with Manfred the Slightly Ecru. He also grumbles about having decided to be the White, as it makes his laundry more difficult.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Sauron forces Gollum to watch bad movies.
- Dead Fic: Abandoned in the middle of The Two Towers.
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: Sam wonders this after thinking/writing "Mr. Frodo far too hot to die."
- Either "World Domination", or Something About Bananas: Legolas mutters something Elvish to Aragorn that might be "You're late," or possibly "Throw me down and shag me rotten." It was the second option
- Everyone Is Gay: Except possibly Gimli.
- Noodle Implements: Merry's carrot. Gandalf's pointy hat.
- Oblivious to Love: Frodo is oblivious to just about everyone's love for most of his diary, as he believes that everyone is after the Ring. He runs off to Mordor when he figures it out.
- Overly Narrow Superlative: Legolas makes Pippin say he's the prettiest elf in the Fellowship; Pippin diplomatically doesn't point out that he's the only elf in the Fellowship.
- Running Gag: Sam will kill anyone who tries anything with Frodo.
- Shipper on Deck: Gollum tried to play The Matchmaker between the Balrog and Gandalf. Needless to say, it did not go very well.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Boromir to Aragorn."I mean just because someone has a broad chest, firm, defined muscles, an outdoorsy tan and loads of manly stubble doesn't mean that....what? Got distracted there for a bit."
- Terse Talker: Is v. much the style everyone writes in. Because it parodies Bridget Jones.
- 30 Minutes, or It's Free!: Theoden orders Wormtongue from a minion-delivery service that promises a free orc if the minion doesn't arrive within ninety minutes.