Fanfic: The Lost And The Damned
Veldoran, Warlock of Craftworld Ulthwe, was having a bad day. Leader of the Eldar forces after the untimely fall of Farseer Idranel,
he was conducting a retreat from Typhon Primaris in the face of Chaos remnants when he found himself thrown into a strange human world that knew not of the God-Emperor and the Imperium of Man. Now, he aids Lyra "Lone Wanderer" Kendal in her quest to find her father while he tries to find a way back. The other world is not taking his disappearance calmly, though.The Lost and the Damned
, also available on FanFiction.Net
, is a Fallout 3/Warhammer 40,000
crossover by Koronis/De La Chretiens.
Tropes in this fanfic:
- Absolute Xenophobe: Averted. Lyra regards Veldoran as a close friend and ally. More, if she had the chance.
- Action Girl: Lyra, very much so. At current, she's a decent sniper trained in Eldar swordplay by a Warlock and a Howling Banshee Exarch(Who is, herself, a deceased Action Girl)
- Affably Evil: As in Fallout 3, President John Henry Eden, Eulogy Jones, Mr. Burke and Alistair Tenpenny.
- After the End: Being Fallout AND Warhammer 40,000 - very much so.
- Aliens Are Bastards: Mostly Averted. Veldoran is a rather decent person to Lyra, but his arrogance sometimes gets the better of him.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Lyra has a crush on Veldoran which goes away after she starts carrying Ilrissa's soulstone. Partially averted with Jana Friedman for Protector Roger Sandoval, who feel for each other but refuse to pursue a relationship out of professionalism.
- Always Chaotic Evil: Played straight with the Chaos-Tainted Raiders.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Alistair *Wasteland Safari* Tenpenny.
- The Atoner: Arguably Veldoran, who feels some justification for protecting Lyra despite the fact that she is one of the 'Mon-Keigh'.
- Atop a Mountain of Corpses: With an Eldar Warlock on your side, is there really any doubt this would happen?
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Veldoran. The Chaos Sorcerer Xenthus in the beginning. Protector Roger Sandoval. Burke
- Ax-Crazy: Simco. And of course, various Slavers and Raiders.
- Badass Adorable: Lyra, very much so.
- Badass Normal: Lyra, considering that she can KEEP UP with Veldoran's killing sprees. Roger Sandoval, for being able to withstand heinous torture at the hands of Enclave scientists.
- Bad Boss: Alistair Tenpenny.
- Berserk Button: Hurt Lyra and Veldoran will melt your brain. Jericho learned this the hard way.
- BFG: Lyra's sniper rifle.
- Bishōnen: Veldoran.
- Blood Knight: Chaos-Tainted Raiders.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Simco, AND HOW.
- Cant Arguewith Elves: Averted, Veldoran and Lyra argue ALL THE TIME, with neither side gaining any significant moral advantage over each other.
- Continuity Nod: Tonnes from Warhammer 40k, including Ibram Gaunt and his Ghosts are in a subplot, Inquisition Jaq Draco from the Inquisition War series by Ian Watson, Farseer Macha from Dawn of War, a brief mention of Eisenhorn...
- Crapsack World: Duh, considering the base works.
- Crippling Overspecialisation: Averted by Lyra. She's a sniper and an amateur swordswoman, though not as good as an Eldar, as Ilrissa is fond of pointing out.
- Depraved Bisexual: Simco has raped several men and women before, and when he gets captured... he masturbates because the feeling of bondage/incarceration is intensely arousing to him.
- Determinator: Sandoval. He'll keep taunting you even while he's in horrific amounts of pain, and still be able laugh it off.
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: Veldoran.
- Foe Yay: One of the Enclave scientists has feelings for Sandoval, up to the point of physically acting on them.
- Four Lines, All Waiting: While Lyra and Veldoran's quest is the main plotline, there are others running concurrently, including:
- The Eldar search for Veldoran.
- The goings-on of various others in the Capital Wasteland.
- Gaunt's Ghosts in the search for General Lugo, who has been captured by Eldar.
- Friendly Sniper: Lyra favours sniping. To the point where the Talon Company know (and fear) her for it. She is also quite chatty, though a little over-opinionated and childish at times.
- Genki Girl: Lyra, to a certain extent.
- Genre Blind: Leaving Simco for dead. He survives, of course.
- Invincible Hero: Averted. One would think that the Warlock would be one in this context...
- Knight Templar: The Brotherhood Outcast leader Sandoval. To the point where he frowns on fraternizing with a female member of his task-force who has already professed her interest in him.
- Sealed Good in a Can: Ilrissa in her soul-stone.
- Shout-Out: A recent update (Chapter 38) had a Star Trek-themed shout out in the Vril crew and their ship Ycktyluk.
- Smug Snake: Colonel Augustus Autumn. Until Sandoval pisses him off.
- Too Dumb to Live: The Talon Company mercs. They voluntarily attack a girl who can drill a hole in their heads from a kilometre away, who is protected by an alien psychic who has spent a significant portion of his life fighting wars in a universe where having psychic powers almost guarantees a horrific death .
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Oodles between Lyra and Veldoran.