We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Fanfic: The Death Of Haruhi Suzumiya
"I should have seen it coming, everything we've been through together has been building up to this, but it was already too late..."
Written by Turbanator on Fanfiction Dot Net
. Can be found here
Starting from a simple three coughs from Haruhi in the clubroom, a series of events begin to occur which lead Kyon to the realisation that his great and benevolent club leader
And what would happen if God dies
Compliant in plot details up to and including Novel 8, thereby deviating as Kyon and the SOS Brigade find out just how bad things can get.
Spoiler tags are for anything introduced after Chapter 9, the halfway point, since things got worse.
The sequel, Life after the Death of Haruhi Suzumiya is sporadically updated, and can be found here
Contains Examples Of:
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Haruhi, and at one point the dying Kyon. This leads to many events, so related tropes are below.
- No Poverty: A world where charities are hyper efficient, no wars, no suffering.
- The Evils of Free Will: Haruhi removed the 'ability' to die by accident, to kill others, or to even commit suicide. Shamisen commented that he was 'both prey and predator', and later tells Kyon that what he feels is Kyon's own pain.
Shamisen: "Oh, I can't kill myself, even if I wanted to. It is quite a quandary to be in, to hate the body that one possesses, despite being restored from the grave. It is almost like a torture technique, one that causes continuous agony, but at the same time cannot be stopped by any means when the source is unreachable. I acknowledge it, and yet I refuse to take my own life to stop myself from feeling it further."
- A Lighter Shade of Grey: The Nonchalant Lady is the only one of her group to not appear to be totally evil.
- Anyone Can Die: Implied in chapters 15 and 16 when reality was destroyed.
- Apocalypse How: Starting off low key at Class 0, then moving all the way up to Class Z-3. Since this is a large section, the following also apply:
- Applied Phlebotinum: Anything when speaking about time travel, closed space, sliding and data manipulation.
- BFG: The Sneering Bastard has a gun which has several levels of lethality, the largest being the Graviton Beam Emitter, capable of firing impossible beams 70km long. He doesn't use that level thankfully.
- Mind you, he settles for the minimum level, and fires the Agony Beam at Kyon.
- Big Bad: Each faction has their own counterpart in the enemy team, however Kyon personally believes the real leader is the Macrospatial Quantum Cosmic Existence.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: The RIP Cartel, consisting of the esper Nonchalant Lady Tachibana Kyoko, the time travelling Sneering Bastard, the slider Psychotic Tsuruya and the Macrospatial Quantum Cosmic Existence also known as the resurrected Asakura Ryouko.
- Blood from the Mouth: From Haruhi, but only discovered when Nagato found a discarded tissue in the bin with some blood and mucus in it.
- Cue the Rain: Haruhi walks outside, not caring how wet she got, several minutes after Kyon kills himself.
- Did I Just Have Tea With Cthulhu: Kyon when meeting the RIP Cartel in their secret base.
- Dimensional Traveler: Tsuruya, introduced in the first chapter as a real Slider and fourth member of the club. Later we find out that her evil twin is one too.
- Distant Finale: Final chapter is an epilogue. Also in the sequel, where Kyon finally shuffles off the mortal coil.
- Due to the Dead: A mixture of Western and Eastern ceremonies, where almost all the characters in the series walk up to Haruhi to see her and say goodbye to her open casket. Lots of things happened here, so related tropes are below.
Haruhi: "Oh... Hi everyone! Sorry for worrying you..."
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Kyon. Since there is a lot more to this than meets the eye, all related tropes are listed below.
- Death Is Dramatic: Making a mess of the clubroom computer, and joking at Haruhi before eating the pills and gulping down the alcohol, then by activating his own Godly powers to lock the door.
- Dies Wide Open: Haruhi does close them though.
- Final Speech: The latter part of the speech is below:
- Evil Twin: Psychotic Tsuruya
- Fanservice: Usually revolving around Asahina and her future self.
- Final Battle: Chapter 13, though full details of what exactly happened are revealed later.
- Find the Cure: The SOS Brigade tries to do this for Haruhi. They fail.
- First-Person Smartass: As with the novel and anime, narrated by Kyon, save for a small section when he was quite dead, by his own hands.
- From Bad to Worse: Starts off light-heartedly enough then gradually disintegrates as everything the SOS Brigade know collapses around them.
- God Is Dead: Haruhi, and then later Kyon.
- Groin Attack: Kyon uses this on the Sneering Bastard. He misses spectacularly.
- Gut Punch: Chapter 13.
- Hand Wave: Haruhi in God's Space using her powers, then later the dying Kyon using it to lock just one door, describing it simply as a sixth sense
- Humans Are Flawed: What Haruhi believes, hence the reason why she creates a world with no suffering.
- Humans Are Special: In contrast to the above, Kyon believes the exact opposite, and states this to her.
- Leave Her To Me: Psychotic Tsuruya when talking about Tsuruya. Also the Sneering Bastard in relation to Asahina.
- Life Embellished: Averted completely. In the epilogue, we find out that Kyon's real name is Tanigawa Nagaru, the author of the Haruhi Suzumiya series and after some time, he chooses to go to a parallel universe, our own one in fact, in order to write about the stories with Haruhi up to and including the events in this very fanfic, though we don't know really how much happened after Chapter 18, since he ends the series with a goodbye.
- Nose Bleed: Kyon after seeing Haruhi, Tsuruya and Asahina in gothic maid costumes.
- Patrick Stewart Speech: Kyon trying to convince Haruhi to recreate the exact same world as before.
- Reset Button: Haruhi does press it, after Kyon kills himself.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Only the very beginning of the relationship between Tsuruya and Asahina appears in chapter 17, but the epilogue certainly shows how it ended up.
- Saying Too Much: The Sneering Bastard when saying they needed to destroy an item in the future to completely stop time travel. Since he wasn't restricted to withholding Classified Information, he didn't realise his mistake since Kyon passed the information to Koizumi, for them to leave a message for their descendants. Turns out that the item in particular was in two parts, both inside the elder Asahina, as she was the chief of the Time Travellers. By passing the message on, Kyon was in fact warning her group and saving her life in the process.
- Scars Are Forever: By the end, we find out that Tsuruya and Asahina have them after their respective battles.
- Shame If Something Happened: To Kyon's Sister no less.
Asakura: "I know... I could try out my techniques on that cute little girl with pig-tails, your sister I believe?"
My stomach lurched, my skim was clammy, and my heart beat slowed to one every two seconds. My eyes were wide in shock.
Kyon: "Y-You wouldn't -"
Asakura: "Wouldn't I?"
- Token Romance: Kyon with Nagato. Though there was no real development in the story on this, most expected it to be with Haruhi.
- Skirt Space: Where Psychotic Tsuruya keeps her control timer for sliding.
- Could be Visual Innuendo, but seeing as it was true anyway given her pleasurable moans… Eww…
- Later she points it at the feet of her sister, sending her into the portal beneath her, so a possible Gun In Her… Special Place.
- Sadistic Choice: Delivered by the Sneering Bastard to Kyon.
Sneering Bastard: "Remember, everything is up to you from now on. Will you let the world die, or will you save it?"
- Given that the simple sentence meant that Kyon would have to cure Haruhi, or kill Haruhi respectively. So it becomes more of a With Us or Against Us option. Of course, Kyon rejects them.
- Smug Snake: Naturally, the Sneering Bastard, though even more apparent in Chapter 11 when Asahina was forced to return to the future against her will.
- Speech Impediment: Runs in the Tsuruya family apparently, namely her twin and great ancestor.
- Survivor Guilt: Kyon, in God's Space.
- Talking Animal: Shamisen in later chapters.
- This Is Something She's Got To Do Herself: Nagato vs Asakura.
- Time Stands Still: One of the four locking mechanisms used to allow Kyon to enter the secret base of the RIP Cartel.
- Took a Level in Badass: Kyon, in the single punch he delivered to the Sneering Bastard. That was as far as he got though.
- Unwanted Revival: Asakura Ryouko at the end of the story.
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: Used against Kyon by the Sneering Bastard for their small scuffle. They both moved normally but any observers were extremely slow in reacting.
- You Cannot Kill An Idea: Kyon words to affect Haruhi to this extent.