Fanfic: Starshine Pretty Cure
All living things possess an Inner Star.And they all come from one place.Via Lactea—the kingdom beyond the stars—to be specific. The source of all light in the universe, the place that all hope is born from. Governed by King Altair and Queen Vega, life fostered peacefully under their rule—but after a time, they began to fear for the safety of their kingdom. If they were attacked, who would protect them? Keeping this in mind, the two created the Pretty Cure, selecting the 12 brightest stars to guard the star system. The 12 Pretty Cure settled on the place known as Earth, feeling it needed the most protection.And for a time, all was well.Except then it wasn't.35 years ago, Ophiuchus attacked. Wiping out 11 of the Pretty Cure, only Cure Leo and Usami, one of the mascots, survived—and only because they were forced to flee. In the present day, Cure Leo—Hirui Hidama—has done her best to distance herself from the tragedy, having married and moved away. Having lost her ability to transform due to her guilt, Hirui lives a normal life.But Ophiuchus is rising again. And what happens when it's Hirui's daughter who must rise up and become a Pretty Cure?Starshine! Pretty ✰ Cure
is a Pretty Cure fanseries
created by riynashay
, centering around the western zodiac, stars, and constellations. It can be read on Livejournal
and though it used to update on Wednesdays, it's currently being released at the speed of free time.
- Mei Hidama (Cure Aries): The main character. The oldest of three siblings, Mei is kind-hearted and friendly—but can snap if pushed too far. As Cure Aries, Mei controls the power of fire.
- Ushio Hoshizora (Cure Pisces): Mei's best friend. Ushio wears her emotions on her sleeve and is extremely protective of those close to her. As Cure Pisces, she controls the power of water.
- Sumire Mabataki (Cure Virgo): A shy rich girl who becomes one of Mei and Ushio's friends. Becomes a Pretty Cure when their friendship restores her faith in the world. As Cure Virgo, she controls the power of earth.
- Ibuki Kousei (Cure Libra): A transfer student halfway through the series. Her One of the Boys nature directly contrasts her manner of dressing as prettily as she can. As Cure Libra, she controls the power of wind.
- Hirui Hidama (Cure Leo): The only Cure of the previous generation alive. The guilt of her teammates' demise haunts her—though she regains her abilities when she comes to terms with it. As Cure Leo, she controls the power of fire.
- Usami: The orphaned Mentor Mascot. A rather cute, cheerful blue teddy bear. He has mild light-based powers, focused on shielding.
- Ophiuchus: The Big Bad, a Creepy Child with equally creepy eyes. Too wounded to leave The Void, the members of the Serpens do her dirty work - at least at first. But things take a turn for the unexpected when Ophiuchus quits her position as Big Bad. From then on out, she goes by her real name, Naori Hoshino and is essentially adopted by the Tachibana family.
- Rasalhague: The Kirk of the trio and the Nice Guy. Considers Ophiuchus a little sister. Revealed to be a piece of Ophiuchus herself.
- Cebalrai: The Spock of the trio and the seemingly Emotionless Girl. Serves Ophiuchus without question. Also revealed to be a piece of Ophiuchus herself.
- Marfik: The McCoy of the trio and the Bratty Half-Pint. Will do whatever Ophiuchus asks, but seems to have feelings that run a little deeper. Revealed to be a piece of Ophiuchus herself.
- Omega: The REAL Big Bad, whoever Omega used to be, it's definitely not human anymore. After Ophiuchus escapes, Omega enslaves the rest of the Serpens...
This fanseries contains examples of:
- Alternate Universe
- Ascended Fanon
- Asexuality: Ushio.
- By the Power of Grayskull!: "Pretty Cure! Wish Upon A Star!"
- Childhood Friends: Mei and Arata, even though Arata wishes there was more to it.
- Combined Energy Attack: Starshine Miracle Wish
- Custom Uniform: Each Cure outfit is subconsciously created by the girls, transforming them into something they'd WANT to wear.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Naori, in spades.
- Elemental Powers: Playing with Fire for Aries and Leo, Making a Splash for Pisces, Green Thumb for Virgo, Blow You Away for Libra and Light 'em Up for Ophiuchus.
- Color-Coded Elements: The 12 Cures are divided up into four elements, just like the actual zodiac signs. While each element has a set color (fire = red, water = blue, earth = gold, wind = purple), the individual Cure colors can differ while still staying in the same color type. Hence why Aries is red, but Leo is orange. Ophiuchus breaks this slightly - although she uses white like proper light types would, her accent color is green, because of her ties to the Serpens.
- Personality Powers: Yes and no. Sumire is a rather kind and gentle person, befitting of her nature based powers, and Ibuki flits from thing to thing to resemble her air powers—but Mei is far too even-tempered to "fit" the fire-type personality and the same can be said for Ushio, who is far too Hot-Blooded to fit the water-personality.
- Elevator School: Etoile Academy.
- Excited Show Title!: AND Lucky Charms Title.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Omega.
- Gratuitous Japanese: But only...
- Girlish Pigtails: Mei.
- Hime Cut: Chie.
- Heel-Face Turn: Naori. Having regained her memories and expelled the dark energy keeping her captive, she declares she wants to start over and atone. It doesn't help that she was essentially Forced Into Evil.
- Heroic Sacrifice: The previous Pretty Cure sacrificed their lives to enable Naori's freedom sometime in the future.
- Meaningful Name: One of the author's favorite things.
- Name's the Same: Usami has no relation to Cure Topaz, even if they have been drawn together.
- Posthumous Character: Proxima, the holder of the Ophiuchus star before Naori got ahold of it.
- Plot-Triggering Death: Twiceover, in fact, and they're tied together. Proxima's death is what forces the Ophiuchus star to earth - and opening death sequence to Starshine is the result of that.
- On The Next Episode Of Catchphrase: "Don't forget to make a wish next time too!"
- Replaced by "I don't think wishes will help..." for more serious episodes.
- Orcus on His Throne: Justified. 35 years later and Ophiuchus still hasn't recovered from the zodiac Cures' last gambit.
- Schedule Slip: A year long one, nearly to the date. There has yet to be a return to the "updates on Wednesdays" status, though the author's trying...
- Shrinking Violet: Sumire, fittingly enough.
- Mei references Lil Pri and The Wizard of Oz in episode 1.
- Mei lists off a cellphone, a handheld computer and a pendant as other henshin items in episode 3.
- Episode 4 references Futari wa Pretty Cure with the "emissaries of light" line.
- Episode 9 has Ibuki mentioning Brightown and the fact she was initially trying to get into Atama Academy. Also, the person Ibuki is texting is Fumie.
- Episode 10 includes a nod to Sparkle Precure, with Naori, Miyo and Kouta all watching "Sparkling Cutie Pre", complete with a reference to a "Princess" Emerald and a "Princess" Obsidian.
- Episode 12 has a flashback with Ibuki and Fumie as kids.
- Throw It In: Scorpio, as mentioned above, but a much more relevant example is Naori - she was never planned to Face-Heel so soon - her return to the side of good was slated for the end of the fic. As the author was writing episode 6, they realized the story had taken a sharp turn - and decided to ride it out.
- Transformation Trinket: The Star Capsule, an enlarged glass bead bottle with glowing lights inside.
- Villain Teleportation
- What Could Have Been: Before Starshine focused just on the Western Zodiac, the initial plans for the story involved the Eastern Zodiac vs the Western Zodiac.
- You Have Failed Me: Averted! Ophiuchus doesn't really seem to mind that the trio fails her, she's only happy that they tried. Omega plays this a little more straight.