Fanfic / Superwomen of Eva: American Dream
Mari Illustrious Makinami. She used to think she knew her family history. Only to learn that neither her history or herself were so ordinary, after all...
Another in the Superwomen of Eva
series by orionpax09
, Superwomen of Eva: American Dream
stars Mari Illustrious Makinami, newly introduced in Rebuild of Evangelion
, as Captain America
After learning she's a descendent of a famous American hero, Mari undergoes treatment to become a super soldier, allying with SHIELD to take the fight to the Angels and see what Nerv is up to.
- Amazonian Beauty: A big part of this Mari's Ms. Fanservice package.
- A Minor Kidroduction: The prologue and first chapter proper happen with a younger Mari being told she's Captain America's great-granddaughter and then put through Project Rebirth. By the time the story catches up with Neon Genesis Evangelion canon "present," Mari has trained for some time for her role as the Captain.
- Clothes Make the Superman: Mari has a battlesuit fitted with various weapons, gear, and stealth systems that can make her invisible.
- Cool Plane: Mari's ship, the American Dream, certainly qualifies. It has adamantium armor, is fully amphibious, and is equipped with a wide variety of weapons, including two BFGs capable of delivering a lot of damage to Angels.
- Eat Me: Mari plans to defeat the 6th Angel this way.
- Epic Fail: Mari's first attempt at the shield toss... does not go well.
- Genki Girl: Mari, with a nice dose of Boisterous Bruiser. When she stops acting genki... look out.
- I Ate WHAT?: Mari has some Meals Ready to Eat over on the "American Dream". One Omake showcases a possible scene where some SHIELD maintenance personnel say they loaded up MREs that were expired by the time of Second Impact on the Dream's galley as payback for Mari kicking their asses during her training.
- Instant Expert: Played straight with Mari's ability to learn fighting skills, subverted with her complete failure at throwing her shield.
- Legacy Character: Mari is chosen by SHIELD to take on great grandfather's role as Captain America.
- Obfuscating Insanity: The reason for some of her canonical eccentricity, fic-wise.
- Papa Wolf: Mari's father... well, at least he tries, but the poor guy knows he's completely in over his head from the moment SHIELD knocks on his door.
- Patchwork Fic: Aside from Mari Makinami being part of a timeline closest to the TV series canon (at least for now), the Captain America mythos presented so far comes from all over the place, mostly so far from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (with appearances of characters like Phil Coulson (and later the rest of his team) and Betty Ross being part of the new Project Rebirth). Except for Nick Fury being his comic book version. This one is lampshaded in an Omake, and it turns out to be one of Fury's berserk buttons.
- Permission to Speak Freely: After her first mission goes badly, Mari asks this of Dugan. When Dugan grants her permission, Mari decks him.
Dugan: "You know, lass... generally speaking... people usually speak freely... with their mouths..."
Mari: "Yeah, but haven't you heard, Major Dum Dum? Actions speak louder than words!"
- Power Copying: The Rebirth process lets Mari master any physical skill her body is capable of doing, simply by watching it once.
- Ramming Always Works: Mari does this to the 6th Angel by ramming its core with the American Dream.
- Really 700 Years Old: Dum Dum? The same one that fought alongside Steve Rogers back in World War II. He (and apparently Fury) were given a Super Serum variant to slow down significantly (if not stop) their aging.
- Right Hand Versus Left Hand: One of Mari's problems lies in the fact she's working with SHIELD, who are not above making some moral sacrifices to save the world, and is run by Nick Fury, who doesn't likes Mari being Captain America and sees her as a risky, battle-happy loose cannon unworthy of the name, and he makes it well-known to her. Mari is a battle-happy loose cannon, but she is nevertheless trying to save people, so she has decided to show Fury where to stick it through any action she can take.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Not explicitly mentioned, but implied to be Mari's case (Peggy Carter married James Falsworth on this timeline). An Omake has Mari pointing it out and having fun with it, being asked to be called "Dame" to everybody's annoyance.
- Someone to Remember Him By: How exactly Mari came to be.
- Spared by the Adaptation: As of the time of the newest chapter, various members of Team Coulson (Triplett most visibly).
- Super-Powered Alter Ego / Growing Muscles Sequence: Mari's version of the Captain America Super Soldier Serum provides her with a "stealth mode" where she can change her appearance to be less of an Amazonian Beauty. Word of God is that this is an explicit Shout-Out to Spider-Man: The Animated Series.
- Super Soldier: Mari. Obviously.
- Super Serum: Duh. An Omake has an upstart scientist giving her the wrong serum and turning her into The Incredible Hulk film's version of the Abomination instead. To the lamentation of Betty Ross.
- The Mentor: SHIELD's Dum Dum Dugan is put in charge of training Mari. Phil Coulson provides some help as well.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: After her first mission goes bad, Mari calls Nick Fury out for disabling the American Dream's weapons when he knows an Angel will attack the Pacific Fleet. Fury's response is to give her a scathing one of these.
Fury: "You want to know why I didn't warn you about the Angel, why I ordered your weapons disabled? That's simple. Because I know just the kind of person you are; a hyperactive adrenaline junkie who can't be bothered to think before jumping into a situation and making it worse!"
Mari: (shocked silent).
Fury: "When I found out about the Angel, I had your weapons pulled because I thought that even an idiot like you would be smart enough to back down from a situation like that. But it's obvious that I overestimated your intelligence. You know, when I was ordered to recruit you to spy on NERV, I didn't like it. And when I started getting Dugan's reports on his attempts to get you trained, I liked it a whole lot less. You've been treating this whole thing like a game right from day one. You have no discipline, no respect for authority, and if it weren't for the fact that you were our only chance of getting inside of NERV Central, I'd have thrown you out of here personally."
Fury pauses to study Mari's battle suit.
Fury: "And hell would have frozen over long before I'd have ever given you that!"
Fury: "I knew your great-grandfather, girl. I fought alongside of him. And I owe him my life more times than I can even begin to tell you."
Mari: "Really. You must be a lot older than you look."
Fury: "Which is why I fought like hell when the Council decided that they wanted a new Captain America. That title belongs to just one man, and his name was Steven Rogers. Not any of the wannabes they brought in to try and take his place. And certainly not some arrogant little tramp that we have to put up with just because she happens to be his great-granddaughter."
- Tough Act to Follow: In-Universe, the previous Captain America. Nick Fury uses it as a cornerstone of his "The Reason You Suck" Speech towards Mari.