It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
Fanfic: New Perspective Evangelion
New Perspective Evangelion
is a Neon Genesis Evangelion
fanfic by Dartz-IRL.
FFN gives the following summary: Newton's First law. An Object in motion will remain in motion until acted on by an external force. The events of Neon Genesis Evangelion, as seen by the Fourth Child. Self Insert:ACC.
Tropes found in this work:
- Abusive Parents: Asuka's father is the classic "tear your kid down if they're less than perfect" parent and, according to Asuka, only acknowledges her as his daughter when it's to give himself some attention or fame.
- All There in the Manual: The E-Mail Noriko sent? Can be found in the Evageeks thread.
- Anachronic Order: Part 13. Starts with Tokyo-3 in flames, then alternates between the buildup to the Angel attack, and to its eventual defeat.
- Berserk Button: Kaworu's very existence seems to be one for Noriko.
- Boom, Headshot: Noriko name-drops the trope when, during the mission to secure Unit 04 from the Americans, she takes out Asuka during the first combat simulation with her Eva's pistol.
- Child Soldiers: The Evangelion pilots. Moreso than the original series since their training is delved into in more detail.
- Creepy Child: Rei and Kaworu, of course.
- Kaworu should be noted as having knowledge of how Noriko got to the Evaverse, which manages to make him creepier then canon.
- Crossover: Kinda one with Haruhi Suzumiya. Word of God indicates it's not really a crossover — the girl who thinks she's Haruhi really is delusional, and the Haruhi elements have no real bearing on the plot.
- The Deadliest Mushroom: What happens to Minamiizu.
- Deadpan Snarker: Noriko's inner thoughts are surprisingly sarcastic.
- Door Stopper: It's twelve chapters in and over 150,000 words long. There've only been two Angels featured so far (the 8th and 9th, but still).
- Eagle Land: A mix of Type-1, and Type-2, when the Americans come to visit to negotiate the release of Evangelion Unit 04.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: What the Tenth Angel attempts. What happens to Minamiizu.
- Eloquent In My Native Tongue: Subverted. The original Noriko was a native Japanese speaker who could barely speak English, but the poor sod controlling her reigns now is a native English speaker who must relearn Japanese. Something that very nearly gets her into trouble with the NERV higher-ups.
- Evil All Along: Kaworu, who orchestrated everything, manipulating Noriko to ensure that only his form of Angel-life would survive.
- Follow the Leader: Quietly based on the original I was a Teenage Dummy Plug by Foxboy.
- Gender Bender: Deconstructed. Takes a rather more realistic approach than others.
- Genre Savvy: Noriko, natch. (Also Kaworu, but to a lesser extent)
- I Choose to Stay: Noriko comes to this conclusion, believing she would feel guilty for abandoning real people who'd become her friends.
- Majorly Awesome: Major Katsuragi, who orders the largest nuclear strike in fifteen years, without blinking.
- Nuclear Option: After N2 Weapons fail to destroy the orbiting Tenth Angel, an attack using more powerful nuclear munitions is ordered.
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: Zig-zagged regarding Noriko, and deconstructed in regards to whether it's good, bad or in-between.
- Oceanic Airlines: The plane crash was an Oceanic Airlines flight, and the airline is apparently run by one John Locke.
- Off the Rails: After Bardiel, all bets are off. Shinji leaves afterwards. The 14th Angel is defeated without him, giving him no reason to return. The 15th Angel doesn't attack Asuka....
- Self Insert: a shockingly good one at that!
- Shout-Out: At times played with jarring unsubtlety.
- Show Within a Show: Blue Aru, a stand in for the actual Evangelion series.
- Tsundere: Noriko notes herself as one, but also thoroughly deconstructs the concept.
- You Shall Not Pass: Angel 14, meet Noriko.
- Wham Episode: Hikari is chosen as pilot of Unit 05. It is destroyed on Commander Ikari's orders after the Evangelion pilots are defeated by Bardiel, killing her in the process.