He remembers everything.
"Don't ever forget me."
I Will Remember You is a Darker and Edgier Code Lyoko
fanfic written by Brezifus. It follows Ulrich Stern as he is dragged away from his life and sent to live with his father. In no time, Ulrich is horrifically abused and mentally destroyed by his father. After years of taking it and gaining many scars in the process, he throws his father through a wall, and is sent back to his old life under a new name: Reese Anders. He finds his old friends have changed greatly, and only Aelita seems to recognize him.
Living under this alias is hard enough for him, but when his father begins stalking him and his friends, he is forced to confront his worst fears.
Originally written from 2007 to 2009, and accompanied by many illustrations on deviantART
, it has received wide acclaim in the Lyoko fanbase, a spot on the show's Fansite, and even a Webcomic
remake by the author herself.
It can be found here
I Will Remember You contains examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Ulrich/Reese suffers greatly at the hands of his father.
- Adaptational Villainy: Taken Up to Eleven with Ulrich's father. While never an overt villain in the original material, he is turned into a sadistic, murderous, and just plain evil man.
- Ambiguous Ending: It is never made clear if Reese’s true identity is discovered by the rest of the group.
- Anti-Hero: Reese would qualify, seeing as he becomes a Jerkass to every person except Aelita.
- Author Appeal: The story has many subtle references to various forms of music and film.
- Author Avatar: Many of the characters embody a portion of the author’s personality.
- Badass: Reese.
- Berserk Button: Bring up Ulrich in front of Yumi. Reese is fond of pushing it.
- Big Bad: Ulrich’s father.
- Bittersweet Ending: Ulrich survived, but both his parents are dead and he is covered in scars. Not to mention he is still living under an alias and has completely lost his identity as Ulrich Stern.
- Bloodier and Gorier: There are scenes that David Lynch would cringe at, namely Ulrich finding his mother's mutilated corpse, and the dream sequences that follow
- Body Horror: Present in Ulrich/Reese's nightmares.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Yin-Yang Shard. Also the katana.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Tara is introduced early on and is mentioned a couple times after Ulrich goes back to his old life. She bumps into Reese near the end of the story and nearly blows his cover.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Odd Della Robbia really got nutty while Ulrich was gone. Lampshaded by Aelita.
- Cluster FBomb: Reese has one in Chapter 8 while he’s alone.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Played with in the final showdown when Ulrich saves Nevaeh from falling by kicking her back and letting himself fall from the roof with his father. Ulrich survives the fall, but is severely injured.
- Hope Crusher: Ulrich’s father.
- Important Haircut: Odd gets when of these while Ulrich/Reese is gone.
- Improvised Weapon: Ulrich’s father uses anything at his disposal to attack his wife and son, including a cheese grater.
- Jerkass: Reese is this in spades. He chooses to be, though.
- Jerkass Woobie: Reese is arguably one of the best examples in all of fan fiction. Even when he enters his jerkiest moments, you know why and still just want to give him a hug for all the hell he's been through.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Ulrich uses one in the first chapter, and in the final showdown as well.
- Made of Iron: Ulrich falls off a roof with his father, leaving his father dead and him seriously injured.
- Manipulative Bastard: Ulrich's father subliminally convinces his son that he killed his own mother
- Moral Event Horizon: Ulrich's father crosses this when he beats up his wife.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Reese has one these when he hits Yumi's face, making her bleed from the zipper on his glove.
- Never Mess with Granny: Mrs. Periwinkle is incredibly resilient and even stands up to Ulrich’s father
- Nightmare Sequence: Reese has many, and some qualify as Gorn.
- Oh Crap: Reese has a moment like this when his father appears at his school.
- Original Character: Several, most notably Mrs. Periwinkle, Nevaeh, and Tara
- Physical Scars, Psychological Scars: The abuse Reese suffered left him horrifically scarred emotionally and physically.
- Plot Irrelevant Villain: XANA
- Precision F-Strike: “You… What the fuck are you doing here?”
- Rape is a Special Kind of Evil: Ulrich's father is implied to have raped his wife many times. In a Tear Jerker moment, Ulrich has to help her get into the shower after one of these occasions.
- Reset Button Just like on the original show, the Return to the Past is used. It saves Ulrich after he is shot in the stomach, in addition to more than likely saving the lives of Odd, Nevaeh and Yumi. Averted in the first chapter, leaving Ulrich with his facial scar and Yumi to recover from her injuries.
- The Reveal: Nevaeh is Ulrich’s sister.
- Scars Are Forever: Ulrich/Reese lampshades this several times.
- Shout-Out: Ulrich’s facial scar is a nod to Rurouni Kenshin.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: Stairway to Heaven is used to creepy effect as the calling card of Ulrich's father.
- The Stoic: Reese, and to an extent Yumi.
- Title Drop: By Ulrich in Chapter 4.
- Wham Line: “Since I was four?”
- X Marks the Hero: Reese has an X-shaped scar on his face from a X.A.N.A. attack.
- Xanatos Gambit: Ulrich's father unintentionally invoked this. At the end, with Ulrich killing his father, the latter left his son a broken and damaged person. If he had let him live, his friends in addition to himself would probably all have died. Either choice he made, Ulrich was royally screwed.