Fanfic / Shadowchasers Soulscape
is fanfic of the Shadowchasers
series written by Cyber Commander.
Taking place sometime between Shadowchaser: Torment
and Shadowchasers: Ascension
. This fic (which is a shorter fic compared to the rest.) stars Jalal Stormbringer as he goes inside Hebi-Na's Soulscape
in the hopes of curing the curse that had befallen her back in Shadowchasers: Power Primordial
This fic contains examples of:
- A Day in the Limelight: This fic is one for Jalal (and Hebi-Na to an extent).
- Ascended Extra: While Jalal has played a part in about every Shadowhchaser fic, it is often limited to supporting roles. Here he actually takes a central role.
- The Atoner: Hebi-Na. Alzoozel's current form and strength is an indicator of that.
- Battle in the Center of the Soul: The main point of this fic.
- Bottle Chapter: Not counting Hebi-Na's Soulscape, the fic only takes place in Shadowchasers HQ.
- The Cameo: Judy LaBaron, Jalal's teenage ward makes a few minor appearances in the fic after initially being mentioned only in a Shadowchaser File in Power Primordial.
- Heel–Face Turn: Hebi-Na. By the end of the fic, she becomes the ophidia negotiator for the Shadowchasers, promising to improve the relations between humans and ophidia.
- Identical Stranger: This fic has two examples:
- The first is Alzoozel - Hebi-Na's conscience who looks exactly like Ember. According to her Alzoozel herself, the reason she looks like Ember is because Ember is the person who Hebi-Na wants to make amends with the most, as she feels that Ember was the one who suffered the most through her actions.
- The second one is Maramanda, who mostly resembles Taramanda. Maramanda represents Hebi-Na's fears, as Taramanda was someone who Hebi-Na feared in the past. She also uses Earthbound God Ccrayuhua. According to her, ophidia are split on their opinions of this being. Some regard it as an eccentric celebrity that one can't help but watch, while others think of it as a harbringer of the apocalypse. Clearly, Hebi-Na was of the second group.
- Ironic Echo: Vucarik's deck is the same deck Hebi-na used way back in Chapter 4 of the original fic, with some improvements.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: Hebi-Na being cured and her Heel–Face Turn, due to her appearance in ''Shadowchasers: Backwater".
- Lower Deck Fic: Aside from this fic being a lot shorter than Cyber Commander's other fics, it only features a few characters than the other fics.
- Only One Name: It is mentioned that ophidia do not use surnames. This might be true for other Shadowkind races where last names are not mentioned.
- Sequel Hook: to Shadowchasers: Ascension''. At the end of the fic, Dr. Gelinas gets visited by someone (presumably Baron Dybbuk), who talks to him about the deal he made with someone (presumably Jalie Squarefoot). Gelinas remembers and hands over what they were looking for.
- Ship Tease: After Jalal rescues her from Maramanda and helps carry her, Hebi-Na makes a remark on Jalal's looks and mentions she finds him quite handsome.
- Tailor-Made Prison: Likely the ultimate example. Hebi-Na's soul is supposed to be the ruler of her soulscape, but the Bells of Baphomet have pretty much taken over and made her a prisoner, the bell tower even creating a cell that serves that purpose for the physical incarnation of the soul (with Maramanda as the jailer, someone who is fear itself to Hebi-Na, making resistance almost impossible). In a sense, Hebi-Na's soul is imprisoned in her own mind, meaning she is truly helpless to escape without aid from a third party - which she gets, fortunately.
- World of Symbolism: Tons. In Hebi-Na's mind, every inhabitant is an aspect of her personality, taking the form of someone she associates with that aspect. The locations change quickly, drawn from her memories and parts of her psyche.
- Rule of Symbolism: Hebi-Na opposing Evil Dragon Ananta (her former ace card) can be seen as her denouncing her past mistakes and moving forward.