Fanfic: Of White Trees And Blue Roses
''Of White Trees and Blue Roses'' is a fanfic set in George R. R. Martin's ''A Song of Ice and Fire'' series. It's a series of POV chapters of the few years leading up to Robert Baratheon's rebellion in the main series. In particular, it focuses on Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen. Many posthumous characters from canon were featured as well.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Broad Strokes: Despite the close following to canon, the fic offers plausible suggestions on unrevealed plot points which Martin has been silent on so far, e.g. Jon Snow's parents, and the identity of the Knight of the Laughing Tree.
- Did Not Think This Through: As alluded to in canon, Rhaegar's abduction of Lyanna blew up spectacularly. Also, the Knight of the Laughing Tree participating in the Tourney of Harrenhal.
- Doomed by Canon: Lyanna Stark, Brandon Stark, Rhaegar Targaryen, King Aeyrs.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: Rhaegar's dreams regarding the prophecy of the Prince That Was Promised. However, the fic did its own take as the prophecy remains unresolved in canon.
- Evil Is Petty: When Rhaegar suggested reviving the ancient tradition of Targaryen polygamy in order to stop Robert's rebellion by wedding Lyanna, Aerys vetoed the idea simply because he had not thought of reviving the tradition himself in order to hold on to Joanna Lannister.
- Foregone Conclusion / How We Got Here: Due to the close following to canon, it's not hard to forsee the fates of the various characters. However, the fic presents a good case of why the surviving characters behaved the way they did in canon.
- I Just Want to Be Special: What convinced Lyanna to follow Rhaegar, aka the "abduction", was Rhaegar's promise to train her to become a real knight, and to knight her subsequently.
- Love Dodecahedron: Between Ashara Dayne, Barristan Selmy, Brandon and Eddard Stark. Like in canon, Barristan had his crush on Ashara. Ashara had a crush on Brandon, and Eddard had a crush on her. Ashara rejected Eddard's feelings for her, while Brandon dropped Ashara faster than a hot potato after a one-night stand. However, he fathered a bastard, as mentioned under Fandom Nod.
- Love Ruins the Realm: Rhaegar was very aware of how badly things could turn out, particularly after hearing of his father's execution of the Northern lords. Other characters had also thought to themselves (or voiced their opinions on) just how bad Rhaegar's idea of abducting Lyanna really was.
- Officer and a Gentleman: Rhaegar was keenly aware of how his actions regarding Lyanna had deeply hurt his wife. Also, at the beginning, he was a true gentleman in his interactions with Lyanna.
- Ser Arthur Dayne was a gentleman as well.
- Out of Focus: For all his importance during this period of the series (and subsequent periods), Tywin Lannister was only alluded to in the fic.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Rhaegar was both an accomplished warrior, and an excellent harp player.
- The Stations of the Canon: Major events, such as the Tourney at Harrenhal and the fates of Rickard and Brandon Stark, are unchanged from canon.
- Trying Not to Cry: Essentially, this was Elia Martell's reaction to her husband's shenanigans regarding Lyanna. Rhaegar himself knew how deeply he had hurt his wife, and genuinely loathed himself for it.
- Young Future Famous People: Young Stannis and Renly make cameo appearances. However, Benjen Stark deserves special mention, as one half of the Knight of the Laughing Tree. See Did Not Think This Through above.