Fan Fic / Lilly Epilogue Family Matters
Lilly Epilogue (Good Ending) Family Matters
is a Continuation Fic
set a year after Lilly’s good ending in Katawa Shoujo
. Hisao is living with Lilly and Hanako in an apartment as they prepare to start university, but learn that Lilly’s parents are coming to visit. A clash of personalities ensues, and long-suppressed personal issues rise to the surface.
This fic includes examples of:
- Berserk Button / Beware the Nice Ones: Lilly can accept her father disagreeing with her decisions, but she will not stand for her best friend or boyfriend being insulted.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Akira does this as the discussion shifts to Lilly staying in Japan or going to Scotland; when Mr. Satou brings up Lilly's difficulties in her life in Japan, Akira counters by saying he should have considered it when leaving them behind. After a while, Lilly gets in on this, too.
- Coitus Uninterruptus: Hisao and Lilly, by Hanako getting up for a glass of water
- Don't Call Me "Sir": Mr. Satou says this to Hisao, although clearly not in the sense that he wishes for less formality.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Hisao’s boss at his job tries to invoke this by getting his employees to call him “Boss”.
- Establishing Character Moment: Mrs. Satou is quite happy to see her daughter again, and is quite enthusiastic in greeting Hanako and Hisao. Mr. Satou, on the other hand, refers to Hisao as "the man that single-handedly stole (his) daughter from (him)".
- Extreme Doormat: Mrs. Satou defends her husband's actions when an argument breaks out. Her younger daughter, however, subverts this
- Face Palm: Akira after her father makes an extremely insensitive reference to Hanako as "that girl with the burns all over her".
- Follow in My Footsteps: Boss wants his son to take over his ramen shop, but is open-minded about his desire to become an artist.
- Gamer Chick: Hanako likes role-playing games because of their stories.
- Genki Girl: Lilly’s mother seems to be an older version of one.
- Get a Room!: At the end, Hanako asks Lilly and Hisao to do this when they’re having sex on the couch.
- Get Out: After her anger with her father reaches her peak, Lilly orders him out of the apartment
- Hey, You!: Mr. Satou calls Hisao “boy” and refers to Hanako as “the burn girl”. He starts referring to Hisao by his first name midway through their conversation alone.
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her...: Mr. Satou gives this to Hisao near the end, threatening to hunt him down if he hurts Lilly. Hisao has a hard time knowing how serious the threat is.
- In Vino Veritas: Hisao notices that Lilly is drinking slightly more than usual (she has three glasses of wine), and it makes her a bit more confident in speaking her mind to her father. Especially she finally loses her temper at him.
- Insult Friendly Fire: Mr. Satou insults Hisao and Hanako by calling them "cripples" despite his own daughter being blind. Lampshaded by Lilly herself.
- Jerk Ass: Mr. Satou, who talks down to Hisao and Hanako and actively insults their disabilities although he is not without redeeming features; in the end, decides to approve of Hisao being with Lilly and apologize to Lilly.
- Kick the Dog: Mr. Satou’s remarks about Hanako’s burns. If you know that Hanako got these in the fire that killed her parents and would have died if her mother had not protected her at the cost of her own life, it’s a borderline Moral Event Horizon crossing, especially considering that he was warned about it in advance. To put things into perspective, no one has done this to Hanako on-screen in Katawa Shoujo.
- Love Martyr: Hisao comments on how willing Lilly is to overlook her father’s transgressions compared to Akira. Subverted when she gets pushed too far and calls him out on his past and present actions.
- Love-Obstructing Parents: Mr. Satou but he relents in the end. Mrs. Satou, on the other hand, likes Hisao and is glad that he survived his heart attack.
- Luminescent Blush: Hanako after being complimented on her throwing skills at Tanabata. Hisao and Lilly, after Hanako notices them starting to have sex.
- No Name Given: Hisao’s boss. Lilly's parents' given names are never revealed
- N-Word Privileges: Deconstructed. Mr. Satou seems to think he has a license to insult Hisao and Hanako’s disabilities and refer to Yamaku as a "cripple school" because he has diabetes, but no one else (except possibly his wife) agrees.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: Mr. Satou. Well, future in-law, to be precise.
- Oh, Crap!: Hisao’s reaction, with a stronger expletive, to hearing that his future in-laws are visiting.
- Politically Incorrect Antagonist: Mr. Satou seems to hold disabled people in disdain. Lilly points out that she should also be one of the "cripples" he's talking about, but he tells her not to put words in his mouth.
- Precision F-Strike: At a few points.
: (after hearing about the Satous coming) Oh fuck
: (after her father’s Kick the Dog
moment) I can’t believe that asshole!
- Rouge Angles of Satin: "At first, the owner was weary about hiring a blind girl to serve"
- Social Services Does Not Exist: Averted. Hisao and Lilly, concerned about what kind of foster home Hanako might end up in if she were sent back to social services, decide to get an apartment where she can stay.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Mrs. Satou to Lilly.
- They Do: Hisao and Lilly get engaged at the end
- Tempting Fate: "Considering that just one year ago I probably felt like the most pathetic sap on the planet, things are definitely looking up. Everything just feels right with the world." In the next scene, he finds out about Lilly’s parents coming.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Hisao has this thought as Hanako plays a video game with an immortal hero. He doesn’t want to outlive his loved ones, but wonders whether it would free him from worrying about his heart condition, which also discusses Required Secondary Powers.
- Considering it's implied to be an RPG, and the other mechanics she mentions, with the Immortals coming back after a few turns and the game ending if all players are down, it's probably Lost Odyssey.