Fan Fic / Into the Wild
Into the Wild
is a fic written by a Love to Hate
fan of Avatar
. It tells the story of Jade West
, a Corporal in the RDA security force. She survives a Samson crash in the middle of the jungle on Pandora and decides to make her way back to Hell's Gate. However, she meets a Na'Vi that can speak English who offers to guide her home - whom she dubs Marty. Along the way they discuss the Fridge Logic
of the movie's universe and shift the movie's Black and White Morality
to Grey and Gray Morality
. Oh yeah, and the Marty develops a crush on Jade, but accidentally kills her during the Battle for the Tree of Souls.It has absolutely nothing to do with
the book or film of the same name
made about the life of Christopher McCandless.
This fanfiction provides examples of:
- Annoying Arrows: Jade really wishes it were so.
- Angst? What Angst?: Jade refuses to acknowledge the existence of her failed marriage.
- Anvilicious: Jade mocks the RDA's cartoonish villainry in what seems like Even Evil Has Standards.
- Armies Are Evil: Inverted. Jade and her brother Michael are arguably the most moral characters.
- Apologizes a Lot: Marty.
- Body Paint: Rather symbolically gets washed off Marty when he takes Jade's body to the Tree of Souls.
- Break the Haughty: Marty's time with Jade makes him stop parroting old sentiments he got from his tribe.
- Break the Cutie:... but then Marty kills the only person who ever cared about him.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: Marty assumes that Jade has a neural link as well, and asks her where it is because he can't see it in her hair. Hilarity Ensues.
- Call a Smeerp a "Rabbit": Every animal on Pandora is called by their RDA-assigned names. Probably not accidental considering the rest of the details.
- Crapsack World: In Jade's words 'Crowded, poor, crap food and it smells bad.'
- Character Development: Basically the whole point of the first half. Overlaps with Painting the Medium (see below).
- Chaotic Stupid: Jade's opinion of the RDA falls somewhere between this and Stupid Evil.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Jade tries to knife-fight a full-grown Na'Vi warrior. It doesn't end well.
- Death World: Lampshaded by Jade at the start, but in fact she and the Na'Vi are only inconvenienced by the fauna once.
- Deus ex Machina: Michael responds to the one at the end of the movie with the much-needed What the fuck?
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Jade doesn't want pity for her failed marriage and is proud of having never cried in five years. But she finally does just before she dies.
- Dynamic Character: By the end Jade is a little bit nicer on the whole and Marty is more self-confident. Pity he accidentally kills her.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Michael is trapped in the jaws of a Thantor. What does he do? Pulls the pins on all his grenades just as it swallows him.
- Establishing Character Moment: Jade's brother Michael sees her in danger while in a helicopter. What does he do? Jump out, of course. Then he takes off his mask, gives it to her and beats up Marty with his bare hands.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Jade's Catch Phrase becomes "I hate this planet."
- Expy: Jade is basically Kate from Two Weeks Notice (another fic by the same author) and it looks like Mau wandered onto the set and turned into a smurfy-cat.
- Fan Nickname: Some of the popular ones are used like Papa Smurf and Smurfy-Cat.
- Fatal Flaw: Marty's overwhelming self-esteem issues. They're only resolved after he accidentally kills Jade.
- Fridge Logic: In Ch 5, Selfridge sees Jade covered in mud, with a Na'vi, and assumes it's some sort of 'hippy love-in protest'. Problem is, the only way onto the planet is with the RDA. Unless there are actually hippies who lied their way onto the Venture Star then ran off into the jungle, that's pretty much impossible. Even if there is, the RDA should have records of everyone on the planet. Heck, even Selfridge points out that he should have been told about the Samson crash.
- Gas Mask Mooks: Jade averts this by taking off her mask in front of Marty twice. Averted again when she is dying and Marty takes it off so she can feel the rain on her face.
- Grudging "Thank You": Michael gives one to Marty.
- Heavyworlder: Averted. Jade is a competent fighter, but her fights with Na'Vi go just about as expected.
- Hidden Depths: Jade is frosty because her ex-husband cheated on her. Marty is arrogant because he's the laughingstock of his tribe.
- Humans Are Bastards: Marty seems a firm believer in this, until Jade shows him otherwise.
- Immune to Bullets: Perhaps, but not to grenades.
- Ironic Echo: It's raining and "A Na'Vi admitting wrongdoing. Isn't that a sight."
- Jerkass Fašade: Jade is actually a nice person once she starts to trust Marty.
- Jerkass Woobie: Marty.
- Knight in Sour Armour: Jade.
- Kuudere: Jade.
- Meaningful Name: Inverted. Jade symbolizes immortality and resurrection. She dies. Marty is short for Marty Stu, the male equivalent of Mary Sue. He is the most flawed character in the story, and is responsible for Jade's death.
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: So Marty says goodbye once he lays Jade next to the Tree of Souls.
- Odd Friendship: The Fanfic.
- Only a Flesh Wound / Instant Death Bullet: When Jade gets hit in the stomach with an arrow, she survives long enough for the neurotoxin to kill her. She's babbling deliriously the whole time.
- Painting the Medium: The story is third person, but from Jade's perspective. At first Marty is only referred to as 'it'. Then as 'he'. Eventually she gives him the name Marty and he's referred to by that name for the rest of the story. The narrative partly shifts to him as their respective sides gear up for war, completely transferring to his side when Jade dies.
- Science Is Bad: Played with. Marty seems to think this, but Jade explains to him that the RDA could essentially heal the world with the Unobtanium from the mining expedition.
- Shown Their Work: There's quite a bit of detail that suggests the author searched the Pandorapedia.
- Tear Jerker: The ending.
- Unfortunate Implications: Just about all the ones from the movies are lampooned, such as being biologically better than humans the tentacle braids and general Sueishness.