- Alternative Character Interpretation: Some have no love for Chris, seeing him as nothing but a naive, arrogant idiot who walked into the Alaskan Wilderness with little knowledge on how to handle it.
- Awesome Music: The Sountrack by Eddie Vedder is filled with beautiful tunes. "Long Nights" stands out and doubles as a Tearjerker.
- Jerkass Woobie: Chris. He's condescending, hopelessly naive, inconsiderate, foolhardy, irrational, and irritatingly judgemental. His life back home is also a mess, His family life was abusive, he has immense trouble connecting with people and he only realizes just how much he needs the people in his life after he has left Them behind.
- Retroactive Recognition: Kristen Stewart as the hippie girl who tries to sleep with Chris.
- Tear Jerker: Chris' death.
- What an Idiot: Frequent reaction from people who knew more about bushcraft than Chris and saw how unprepared he was for life in the Alaskan forest.