Fan Fic: Friendship Is Aura
In the aftermath of a huge explosion in the Everfree Forest, Ponyville soon finds itself as the new home for Lucario, an "Aura Pokemon" from another dimension. While he avoids explaining what has happened to him and where he came from, he repays his new friends' kindness by protecting them from the evil forces that suddenly appears around Equestria.
Meanwhile, a certain princess of the night watches his every move, unable to judge if this new visitor will bring safety or utter destruction upon the land.Friendship is Aura
is a crossover fic between My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
set some time between Season 2 and Season 3 of the former.
It can be read here
Tropes present in this story:
- Anger Born of Worry: Lucario realizes that the reason the public initially reacts so badly to the news that Luna and the Mane Six are going to the Gates of Tartarus to rescue Celestia is because they're worried about them.
- Art Shift: When Chrysalis-disguised-as-Celestia is giving orders to the brainwashed Luna, it's written in green font instead of the usual black.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Lucario is basically Sherlock Holmes. Numerous times throughout the story, he deduces things from the smallest clues, usually for how to defeat his enemies.
- Berserk Button: Harming or threatening innocents is one for Lucario, as is insulting his friends. Especially Luna.
- Big Bad: Lord Tartarus so far.
- Big Damn Heroes: The first thing Lucario does in the story is save the CMC from some Timberwolves.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Luna spends the second arc being controlled by Chrysalis.
- Calling Your Attacks: Lucario doesn't always do this, usually just when he's using a move for the first time.
- Crossover: As stated, between MLP and Pokémon.
- Confusion Fu: Unlike in the Pokemon games, Lucario has access to his entire moveset which any Pokemon player can tell you is a lot of moves. This is how Lucario beats most of his big opponents.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Pretty much every fight Lucario's been in so far, except for the boss fights.
- Dark and Troubled Past: It's implied that something bad happened in Lucario's home dimension before he was sent to Equestria, but he refuses to talk about it. Whatever it is, when Nightmare Moon views it in his mind, even she is horrified by what she sees.
- Deus Exit Machina: Celestia is abducted by the Changelings and taken to Tartarus' domain, enabling two story arcs.
- Devour the Dragon: Chrysalis absorbs most of her minions in the hope of one last power-up against Lucario. It still isn't enough.
- Dimension Lord: Lord Tartarus over the underworld.
- Disc One Final Boss: Chrysalis turned out to be a more serious threat than Razorfang, but was still subservient to Lord Tartarus.
- Evil All Along: Cerberus turns out to be much more intelligent than he let on, and has been scouting out Equestria for Lord Tartarus for ages.
- His Name Is...: The Captain is literally one syllable away from being tricked into telling Luna where Celestia was taken when Shining Armor bursts into the room to inform her of the arrival of Tartarus' Mooks.
- Last-Second Chance: Lucario offers Chrysalis a chance to leave in peace if she tells him where the kidnapped Celestia is. She responds by absorbing her followers and trying one last time to kill him.
- The Man Behind the Man: Lord Tartarus was the one who sent Chrysalis into Equestria in the first place, making him responsible for the incident at the wedding and her actions in-story.
- Mind Hive: Lord Tartarus seems to contain the memories of every being he's every absorbed. This includes the shadow Mooks he creates from himself in the first place, in order to learn from their defeats.
- Mook Lieutenant: The Captain to Chrysalis. Not a true Dragon, since he's dealt with so easily.
- Mythology Gag: It seems Celestia and Luna's mother was the Fausticorn.
- No Body Left Behind: When Tartarus' minions, including Cerberus, are defeated, they dissolve into dust that returns to him to be reabsorbed.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Played with. No matter how much good Lucario does for Ponyville and Equestria in general, there are those (especially that one loud mouth) who look at him with fear (even Luna mistrusts him for some time). On the other hand, most ponies, especially the Mane Six, warm up to him after getting to know him, and after defeating Razorwing, he is appointed Guardian of Ponyville.
- Non Indicative Name: The Gates of Tartarus are actually a single black pillar rising up out of a flat plain. It seems the pillar works as a gateway.
- Offhand Backhand: When Rainbow Dash first sees Lucario, she mistakes him for a Diamond Dog and tries to divebomb-kick him; since he's preoccupied with a piece of cake Pinkie Pie just greeted him with, he just uses Iron Defense without even looking, sending her flying.
- One-Winged Angel: During her fight with Lucario, Chrysalis taps into the power she got by draining Celestia and Luna, turning into a larger version of herself with aspects of both Princesses. However, when even this isn't enough, she then grabs a final power-up by absorbing her Changeling Mooks. She still loses.
- Running Gag: Everyone thinks Lucario is a Diamond Dog the first time they see him. Even actual Diamond Dogs. Lucario, upon meeting said Dogs, points out that he looks nothing like them.
- There's also his love of desserts.
- Serious Business: When Lucario mentions he found Celestia's diary, Rarity angrily tells him not to dare share what he saw with anyone; to her, a diary is a sacred thing.
- Ship Tease: Luna and Lucario are attracted to each other from the beginning, they just both seem to be unaware of it.
- Nightmare Moon seems to be attracted to him too. Which makes sense when you think about it...
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: During the fight with Cerberus, he rants about how ponies are weak and friendship is worthless. The Mane Six reply by obliterating him with the Elements of Harmony.
- Shut Up, Kirk!: When offering her a Last-Second Chance, Lucario tells Chrysalis that her subjects love her, meaning she doesn't need to forcibly take it from anyone. She responds by absorbing said subjects and trying one last time to kill him.
- Spotting the Thread: Lucario is able to deduce that "Celestia" is an imposter by pointing she doesn't know who he is when she should, doesn't know the names of her own Guards despite socializing with them, doesn't know about her own diary (which he found earlier), and most importantly, doesn't know the nickname she and Luna called her mother.
- Starter Villain: The dragon Razorfang, the self-proclaimed King of the Everfree, who challenges — and is defeated by — Lucario early on.
- Storming the Castle: Lucario, the Mane Six, and Luna, head to the Gates of Tartarus in order to rescue Celestia. Though Lucario and Luna end up being the only ones to actually enter, since the Mane Six are needed to prevent any more of Lord Tartarus' Mooks from escaping.
- Talk to the Fist: Letting the villian of the arc finish his/her gloating is not how Lucario does things. Almost literal in Chrysalis' case as the move used is Vacuum Wave which involves punching the air hard enough to throw shockwaves.
- Ultimate Evil: What Lord Tartarus seems to be.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Buckets of it between Luna and Lucario. Dips into Belligerent Sexual Tension a few times early on, but that's mostly one-sided on Luna's side.
- You Have Failed Me: After Chrysalis ends up back in his realm following her defeat by Lucario, Tartarus responds by absorbing her into himself.
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: Shining Armor says this word for word when Luna goes to confront Tartarus' Mooks in the middle of him devising a defensive strategy.
- You Monster!: How Nightmare Moon feels about Lucario.
- You Shall Not Pass: When Lucario and Luna enter the underworld to rescue Celestia, the Mane Six use the Elements of Harmony to raise a barrier around the Gates to prevent any more of Tartarus' Mooks from being released to wreck havoc.