Darth Wiki: The Protector: The Seven Crystals
A "TV show" created by DoomTay that premiered in 2047, starring a character named Taylor, who has a *little* too much of the author in him.The story begins when resident orphan Taylor who is attracted to a floating portal. He walks in and realizes he's Trapped in Another World and initially has no idea why. Only that his issues with controlling his pyrokinesis puts others in danger. After bawling from accidentally blowing up a village, he is rescued by an Aeolad (air nymph) named Angelica rescues him, and explained that he has shown signs of being the next in line to take up the position of the Protector, the hero of this other world. He initially rejects the call, though after being forced to kill a Brainwashed fauna, he changes his mind. He learns about the titular MacGuffins and starts to look from them. The plot unfolds from there.For a first series, it has become incredibly polarizing.The series also is noted for the sheer number of tropes that are either Deconstructed or Played for Drama.Not to be confused with any of the six movies or other TV series named The Protector. At all.
"I've always wondered what a female minotaur would look like. Part of me says it's like a male but more feminine, another part of me says it'll be cow-like as opposed to bull-like, and yet another part of me says I'm better off not knowing the answer."
- Break the Cutie
- Buffy Speak
- Catch Phrase: "Yeah, I'm weird that way." Subverted in that it's used both positively and negatively
- Dual Wielding
- Kid Hero: Only twelve years old and forced to be The Hero. He blames the birth defect that caused his powers to unlock too early.
- Mary Sue: More cynical critics pulled out this card
- Playing with Fire
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness
- The Danza: The creator defends this with a lack of a better name and prefers himself to be referred to as "the creator" when needed to differentiate the two.
- Took a Level in Badass: Quite gradually. Even after he gets a grip on everything in the Season 1 Finale, he was still prone to snap under pressure for a long while.
- The Woobie
Angelica: (Notices Taylor shuddering) Hmm? What's wrong?
Taylor: Eh, sorry. See, where I come from, there's something called cooties.
Angelica: Oh? How do you know it's not... something else?
- Blow You Away
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Starts out with offscreen nudity, acquires clothes afterward
- Mama Bear
- Team Mom: Mainly to Taylor to help him take a level in Badass
- Winged Humanoid
- Combat Medic
- Mix-and-Match Critters: She's basically an elf-unicorn centaur
- Only One Name: Averted
- Our Elves Are Better: Or not. Even after joining the Fellowship, Solu can be a bit rough.
This series provides non character-specific examples of
- Aliens Speaking English: Well, if you consider the inhabitants aliens. Justified as they were taught English by an earlier Protector. That was way back in the 16th century, and as a result natives have a thick accent.
- Animation Age Ghetto: To the creator's annoyance. See below.
- Content Warnings: At the beginning of each episode. It is designed to draw attention to the small ratings box in the upper right corner.
- Convection Schmonvection: Averted, as whenever Taylor breaks out his fire powers, others squint, and eventually someone complains "What are you trying to do, cook us to death!?"
- Development Gag: Solu's imagining of the Protector was basically a grown adult. See What Could Have Been below
- Don't Explain the Joke: The DVD Commentary is very guilty of this. Thankfully, the series itself barely goes outside of explaining a monster to those unfamiliar with Greek mythology
- Deconstruction: Hoo boy
- Dumb Muscle: The minotaur. A Running Gag is made fro, how easy it is for one to get its horns stuck in a wall. When it's already equipped with a hammer!
- Emotional Torque
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Kip, Solu's older brother
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- Fish out of Water
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Takes portions of old folk sayings. The pilot is appropriately named "A Fish out of Water".
- Jitter Cam: The shakier the camera, the more tense the scene is meant to be. Parodied when starting an argument causes the camera to jump from slight movements to Star Trek Shake-bouncy.
- Nightmare Fuel: The harpies. Oh man, the harpies!
- Non-Mammal Mammaries: Averted
- Morph Weapon
- Our Elves Are Better: Deconstructed. From the True Companions' view, they're downright narwhals, as they bully Solu because she's perceived as a monster.
- Only One Name: Almost everyone. Justified in Taylor's case due to missing a birth certificate, and most others in the Myth World as that's how naming works.
- Our Monsters Are Different: Behavior-wise, they stick close to the original myths. Though the above harpy is re imagined as a giant bird with the head of a crazy old lady, and a terrifying scream.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: A female's body is flat-chested for a streamlines shape, and is overall built more like a male, save for the head. Both genders lack nipples. The only evidence of this comes from characters' commentary.
- Rated M for Manly: Parodied out-of-show when the creator showed a gag poster featuring the True Companions, and all of them, even the girls had North Star-esque faces.
- Trapped in Another World
- Unusual Euphemism: Elves use "narwhal" as an equivalent of "idiot" that is used lightheartedly and condescendingly. The key point in differentiating the two uses is the tone in which it's said.
- Warts and All: Solu's debut episode. He hears that the Protector is on his way to her home town and gets excited...then goes into a bit of a shock when she realizes he's just a kid
- What Do You Mean, It's Not for Kids??: Seriously. The creator spent the few months before the premiere running around talk shows to warn people about the more mature content. The execs still didn't get the message.
- What Could Have Been: The initial idea of the show was very different. The protagonist was still named Taylor...but he turns into an adult upon entering the Myth World. And he would've had the ability to ride arrows!!