Mari: I had a weird dream last night. I fell in love with a Russian boy and we were soulmates. But he suffered from malignant hunchback syndrome, and died and turned into a wire-worm. And I set his soul free by setting him on fire.
Cain: That doesn't sound so unusual for being just a dream.
Mari: Really? Because where I come from, dreams don't usually model themselves after real life.
An Acid Trip story currently being written by Sone Anna
, inspired by playing way
too much Half-Life
, Yume Nikki
, and Touhou
, with sprinkles of watching too much The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
for good measure.Characters are:
- Child Eve
- Teenage Eve
- Adult Eve
- The Boilerman
- Todd and Claire
Cain, an engineer (or scientist, no one really knows) EDEN science facility fruitlessly tried to recruit, and Rhea, a girl claiming be an alien diplomat, wake up in a strange, deserted part of EDEN, unsure of what to do and where to go. After walking around aimlessly in the more abandoned parts for a while, they meet up with a girl who calls herself Mari. It becomes soon becomes clear that a) Mari is not human, and everything she does is to screw with Cain's and Rhea's heads, b) the supercomputer maintaining EDEN is painfully self-aware, and c) the head of EDEN, known mostly by his title "The Boilerman" has lost every shred of sanity in his body and is doing whatever the hell he pleases with Cain, Rhea, and Mari. Then throw in Cain's concerned friend Todd, who has acquired a map of EDEN through a shady deal and goes to find him, and newspaper reporter/witch/evil scientist Claire who ropes Todd into bringing her with in exchange for protection...and, well...shit happens. Lots of debauchery and senselessness and acid and Big Lipped Alligator Moments
Reader discretion advised. The writer is not responsible for lost and/or damaged brain cells.
Tropes present in this story include:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Teenage Eve goes haywire halfway through, and Adult Eve and Child Eve try their damnedest to put her back under control and not get absorbed AM-style.
- Adam and/or Eve: Subverted. Cain tries to make a joke about EVE being in EDEN facility and asking where Adam is, only to be shot down by The Comically Serious Adult Eve:
"Unfortunately there is no counterpart named Adam. We are EVE and EVE alone. EVE in relation to EDEN facility is pure coincidence. As you can plainly see, our creator is not quite in tune with reality, so we do not think he would have the mental capability to set up something like that."
- Bunny Girl: Rhea. Apparently a lot of her kind have natural rabbit ears and tails. Cain mercilessly teases her for this. Doesn't help matters that when he first sees her, she's escaped from her room wearing a leotard with a jacket over it.
- Moon Rabbit: The galaxy Rhea's from has the "moon" as it's centre (up to you if you wanna consider it the same kind of moon).
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Cain, Cain, Cain.
- Did You Just Romance Cthulhu?: After Todd's sanity starts deteriorating from all of the crazy shit he's seen at EDEN, he figures "Oh, what the hell" and sets his sights on Mari. She doesn't exactly refuse his advances...
- Edlritch Abomination: Mari, of the less threatening variety. Yes yes, she's from some seventh dimension and her appearance minus shapeshifting is horror to be seen, but she's not out to get anyone and she's a fairly pleasant person.
- Famous Ancestor: Mari claims to be a descendent of Cthulhu...please decide for yourself if she is telling the truth or not.
- For the Lulz: A lot of things Mari does.
- Girlish Pigtails: Teenage Eve and Mari.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Mari grabs a pair of goggles from The Boilerman's office and proceeds to wear them like a headband for the rest of the story for no apparent reason.
- Intrepid Reporter: Claire.
- Kuudere: Rhea.
- Large Ham: The Boilerman and Teenage Eve both are this IN SPADES.
- Literal Split Personality: EVE, kind of. Despite being physically connected (by wires) and marked as the same computer, Child Eve, Teenage Eve, and Adult Eve are all separate machines that have separate duties and personalities.
- Looks Like Cesare: Cain. Which is what Rhea uses as a basis for her own taunts.
- Mad Scientist: The Boilerman is all but explicitly stated to be one. Claire as well.
- Magic Versus Science: Claire's inner conflict is one of these.
- More Dakka: Mari shoots rainbow-coloured dakka out of the parasol she carries around. Because she can.
- Noodle Incident: Claire's "Wishing Skull", and "that poor, dear Genie".
- Only Sane Man: Todd. Poor, poor Todd.
- Parasol of Pain: Mari has one.
- Psychopathic Manchild: Cain borders on this.
- Pyromaniac: Cain loves him some fire.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: All of Mari's weird dreams (even the one quoted at the top of the page)? They're all dreams Sone Anna has had the unfortunate experience of going through.
- Starfish Aliens: Rhea vehemently denies she is one, and that the reason her species never contacted Earth is because they weren't interested.
- Token Mini-Moe: Child Eve.
- Witch Species: Claire.