Creator: Shailene Woodley
Shailene Diann Woodley (born November 15, 1991) is an American actress who initially gained fame for playing Amy on The Secret Life of the American Teenager. She also played Tris in the film adaptation of Divergent, and Hazel Grace in the film adaptation of The Fault in Our Stars.
Roles Ms. Woodley has done:
- Replacing Dad as Little Girl
- The District as Kristin Debreno
- Without a Trace as Young Claire Metcalf
- Everybody Loves Raymond as Snotty Girl #2
- A Place Called Home as California 'Cali' Ford
- The O.C. as Kaitlin Cooper (Season 1 only)
- Crossing Jordan as Young Jordan Cavanaugh
- Jack & Bobby as Chloe Benedict
- Felicity: An American Girl Adventure as Felicity Merriman
- Once Upon a Mattress as Molly
- My Name Is Earl as Young Gwen Waters
- Close To Home as Gaby Tursi
- CSI: New York as Evie Pierpont
- Moola as Ashley
- Final Approach as Maya Bende
- Cold Case as Sarah Gunden
- The Secret Life of the American Teenager as Amy Juergens
- The Spectacular Now as Aimee
- The Descendants as Alexandra
- Divergent as Tris Prior
- The Fault in Our Stars as Hazel Grace Lancaster
- White Bird in a Blizzard as Katrina "Kat" Connor
Tropes that relate to her work:
- Intergenerational Friendship: Shailene is so close to on-screen mom Laura Dern that she lives part-time in Dern's house.
- Ms. Fanservice: She has few qualms about being nude onscreen.
- The Pete Best: On The OC, she played Kaitlin in season 1. In Season 3 when the writers decided to make Kaitlin a more important character, the role was recast to Willa Holland.
- She Really Can Act: Before The Descendants most people had only seen her on Secret Life.
- Star-Making Role: Both Amy in Secret Life and Alexandra in The Descendants. Tris and Hazel really launched her career into the stratosphere, though.
- Their First Time: As of 2015 she's played characters who have lost their virginities onscreen five times.note Her favorite scene she's filmed even is her love scene with Miles Teller in The Spectacular Now.
- Those Two Actors: With Ansel Elgort in Divergent and The Fault in Our Stars.
- Type Casting: All of her best-known and highest-praised roles are as angsty teenagers either dying, self-destructing or close friends with someone who is in movies adapted from Young Adult Literature (The Descendants somewhat straddles the line, being told by a middle-aged man but mainly about teenagers). Her role in Secret Life also fits this mold.
- What Could Have Been: She was cast as Mary Jane Watson in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and even filmed a scene, but her part was cut from the movie. Shailene has stated she would like to reprise the role in a future Spider-Man movie.