Creator: Shailene Woodley
Shailene Diann Woodley (born November 15, 1991) is an American actress who initially gained fame for playing Amy on The Secret Life of the American Teenager
. She also played Tris in the film adaptation of Divergent
, and Hazel Grace in the film adaptation of The Fault in Our Stars
Roles Ms. Woodley has done:
Tropes that relate to her work:
- Intergenerational Friendship: Shailene is so close to on-screen mom Laura Dern that she lives part-time in Dern's house.
- The Pete Best: On The OC, she played Kaitlin in season 1. In Season 3 when the writers decided to make Kaitlin a more important character, the role was recast to Willa Holland.
- She Really Can Act: Before The Descendants most people had only seen her on Secret Life.
- Star-Making Role: Both Amy in Secret Life and Alexandra in The Descendants. Tris and Hazel really launched her career into the stratosphere, though.
- Those Two Actors: With Ansel Elgort in Divergent and The Fault in Our Stars.
- Type Casting: All of her best-known and highest-praised roles are as angsty teenagers either dying, self-destructing or close friends with someone who is in movies adapted from Young Adult Literature (The Descendants somewhat straddles the line, being told by a middle-aged man but mainly about teenagers). Her role in Secret Life also fits this mold.
- What Could Have Been: She had been cast as Mary Jane Watson in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but her part was cut from the movie, largely because the writers decided that MJ didn't really bring anything to the movie's plotline. Shailene has stated she would like to play the role in a future Spider-Man movie but she ended up being recast.