Creator: Kevin Bacon
“Any idiot can get laid when they're famous. That's easy. It's getting laid when you're not famous that takes some talent.”Kevin Norwood Bacon (born July 8, 1958) is a name you will hear not because breakfast is being served, but because he has been a film actor since the 1970s. Known for being in a lot of famous films, but seldom the lead role, unfortunately. This may make him even more famous.His first role was in Animal House, as the student who says "Thank you sir, may I have another?" According to an interview on the film's DVD release, he couldn't enter the premiere with his castmates because no one recognized him as a cast member.Trope Namer for the Bacon Number phenomenon, a.k.a. Six Degrees Of Kevin Bacon, a mathematical calculation of a celebrity's closeness to Kevin Bacon. Regarding the popularity of this, he's said that people like to meet him to reduce their "Bacon Number" to one, misunderstanding that they have to be in a movie with him for that. He seems to be a pretty good sport about it, given that he's expressed a fear that his obituary will read "Inspired a game, also acted."As of 2013, he is starring in the serial killer drama The Following.Bacon has been married to Kyra Sedgwick, star of The Closer, since 1988; they have two children. Unfortunately, Bacon and Sedgwick were victims of scam artist Bernie Madoff.And no, he is not an example of Bacon Addiction, despite how much we wish he were.
— Kevin Bacon
Some of the films he has appeared in includes:
- Animal House (1978)
- Friday The 13th (1980)
- Footloose (1984)
- Planes Trains And Automobiles (1987) — cameo
- Shes Having A Baby (1988)
- Flatliners (1990)
- Tremors (1990)
- A Few Good Men (1992)
- The River Wild (1994)
- Apollo 13 (1995)
- Balto (1995)
- Murder in the First (1995)
- Wild Things (1998)
- Stir of Echoes (1999)
- Hollow Man (2000)
- Novocaine (2001) — uncredited cameo
- Mystic River (2003)
- Where The Truth Lies (2005)
- Frost/Nixon (2008)
- The Air I Breathe (2008)
- Super (2010)
- X-Men: First Class (2011)
- Crazy Stupid Love (2011)
- R.I.P.D. (2013)
- Cop Car (2015) — Also executive producer.
- Black Mass (2015)
Tropes associated with this actor:
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Just peep this meta Logitech commercial where he plays a rabid Kevin Bacon fan. Hearing him imitate his own accent from Tremors is something to behold.
- His Funny or Die sketch: "YOU JUST GOT BACOOOOOOON'D!!!!"
- I Am Not Leonard Nimoy/I Am Not Spock: A rare case where both are averted. He's had some famous parts but none of them have been so iconic that it eclipsed the man's career, and likewise he plays so many types of characters so well that you buy him in each part and don't just see Kevin Bacon. However, on the DVD commentary for Footloose, Bacon notes that when attending weddings or other DJ'd social events, he'd have to slip the DJ $20 to avoid having to dance for the partygoers and becoming a one-man Spotlight-Stealing Squad.
- Mean Character Nice Actor
- Old Shame: The first Tremors movie was this at first. (Before the film's release, Bacon had a public breakdown in which he ranted to anyone who approached that his career was over because he was starring in a "stupid movie about killer worms".) He's since lost this attitudenote , especially given that Tremors is now seen as something of a classic (and has an 89% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes), but it was his embarrassment at being in a "stupid worm movie" that kept him out of any of the sequels.
- Male Frontal Nudity: In Wild Things.
- One Degree of Separation
- Playing Against Type: Has played so many different archetypes that his exact performer persona is difficult to pinpoint. He's done everything from hamming in light-hearted comedies (Beauty Shop) to going to dark places few actors can go (The Woodsman).
- Six Degrees Of Kevin Bacon (Bacon Number)
- Type Casting: Averted. See Playing Against Type above.