Where the Truth Lies is a 2005 erotic thriller mystery film directed by Atom Egoyan and starring Kevin Bacon, Colin Firth, and Alison Lohman.In the 1950s, Lanny Morris (Bacon) and Vince Collins (Firth) where the most popular comedy duo in the States, until the mysterious death of a young woman in their hotel room prompts the two to end their collaboration and disappear from the public eye. 15 years later, journalist Karen O'Connor (Lohman) tries to find out what happened that night.
This film provides examples of:
- ...And That Little Girl Was Me: The journalist tells the story of a little girl who was saved thanks to a call-in show. It turns out it's her.
- Bowties Are Cool: Watch Colin Firth tying his bow-tie. It's mesmerizing.
- The Butler Did It: Lanny believes Vince killed the girl and Vince thinks Lanny is the murderer. It turns out the butler strangled her. The reveal hurt the movie; as one critics noted the ending was "straight out of the big book of mystery clichés".
- Coitus Uninterruptus: Lanny measures his flings by how they react to being seen naked by hotel staff, although usually not during but immediately after sex.
- The Determinator: Karen O'Connor will stop at nothing to learn the truth behind the break up of Lanny Morris and Vince Collins. Not even being raped and threatened with sexually humiliating blackmail will stop her from achieving her goal.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Female: Vince, the Depraved Bisexual, drugs the film's heroine, reporter Karen O'Connor (Alison Lohman) and then arranges for Alice, an aspiring young singer he's training (and who, yes, dresses like Alice from Alice In Wonderland), to have sex with Karen while Karen is stoned out of her mind and unable to think clearly. When Karen wakes up in the morning, completely naked and humiliated, even more so when Vince shows off the pictures of her drug induced tryst (which he intends to use to blackmail her), Vince has the nerve to insinuate that it was no big deal - he even jokes about how Alice couldn't get her pregnant! The film doesn't really focus on it much in the final half but Karen is clearly not happy about what happened.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: The movie featured a drug-induced lesbian love scene between Alison Lohman and Kristin Adams, with Lohman arguably a victim of the Double Standard: Rape, Female on Female trope.
- Matzo Fever: Vince has a serious case of this for Lanny. It's not clear whether the reason Lanny rejects him is because he just has no homosexual inclinations whatsoever, or just because he's worried about what would happen to their careers if this became public knowledge.
- Ms. Fanservice: At least three counting Karen herself, some of them more shameless than others.
- My Eyes Are Up Here: Inverted when Lanny tells a female audience member "I think you have the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen. Now you notice I say 'I think you've got the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen'; that's because I haven't actually seen them yet. I've been too busy staring at your cans."