Charlotte "Charlie" Blackwood:
You didn't tell me you were a famous MiG insulter. Lt. Pete "Maverick" Mitchell:
Would it have made a difference? Charlie:
Not in the ladies' room, no.
Sometimes characters just need to get laid, no strings attached. Sometimes the strings get tangled up in their feet when they're not paying attention
. This trope covers instances of a one-night stand followed by awkwardness when one participant encounters the other in an unrelated context the next morning. Frequently said context is at work, where the other party is the new guy (for extra awkwardness, s/he is the first character's supervisor). Of course, intercourse need not be involved, it's just that it usually is.
This may or may not be the start of a Romance Arc
, and by extension may occur in romantic comedies
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Happens in the beginning of Guilty Love, where Nina sleeps with a random woman she meets in the bar—only to discover the next morning that the woman, Mayu, is her daughter's preschool teacher.
- In the ecchi anime OAV based on the equally ecchi manga Cinderella Express, Yuuji Shimano is on the train to his wedding location when a hooker hired by his buddies stops by the private compartment to give him a little fun. She gets off the station before he does and he thinks he'll never see her again. She is, in fact, his new sister-in-law who is moving into the same apartment building.
- In ...Virgin Love, the protagonists meet each other at work a few weeks after their one night stand, leading to an ongoing relationship.
- Kalash93 did this with Haye and Klee.
- They first met in Welcome to the Brothel because Haye went to a brothel in order to lose his virginity.
- In the related story, Relax, it turns out that he's been seeing her as a regular client for some time now, and their relationship has grown beyond just purely mercantile sex, with a surprising amount of warmth and affection having developed between the two.
- In Racer and the Geek, they're Happily Married.
- In chapter three of Bait and Switch Eleya picks up another Bajoran by the name of Gaarra while having dinner and a cocktail at Quark's. The next morning she walks into her ready room to meet her new ops officer and it out to be the same guy, full name and title Lieutenant Commander Reshek Gaarra. She tries to keep a lid on it but her first officer figures it out right away anyway.
- Top Gun: The evening following orientation Maverick seduces a blonde named Charlotte Blackwood in the ladies room at a local bar. Next morning he and Goose head out to the tarmac for a pre-exercise briefing and discover that the blonde, "callsign 'Charlie'", is an astrophysicist and civilian Top Gun instructor. They eventually end up as the film's Official Couple.
- Incredibly awkward in Old School. Mitch hooks up with a girl who turns out to be his boss's daughter. And she's still in high school. Then she shows up later while he's in the middle of a date.
- This is how Meredith meets Derek in Grey's Anatomy. The day before Meredith starts her new job as a surgical intern she has a one night stand. The next day she finds out he works as an attending at the same hospital.
- In Inspector Rex, Marc Hoffman and Nikki Herzog have a one-night stand the morning before they start the new jobs. The next morning, they not only discover that they are both police officers, but they are now partners.
- In an episode of Bones Brennan has a one night stand with her former college professor who has just come to town. The next day she discovers that he's the forensic anthropologist that the defense has hired for a trial she's testifying at.
- In a non-sex example, Amy from The Big Bang Theory was introduced when some characters wanted to find Sheldon a date for fun.
- In The Teaser of the Blue Bloods episode "Righting Wrongs" Erin loses a bet with Linda and has to take a speed-dating session. One of the guys at the session later turns out to be the defense in her latest case. After everything's resolved, he asks her out.