"Good morning John
, it is Friday!"
"I f***ing love science!"
—Hank Green, "I F***ing Love Science"
William Henry "Hank" Green II (better known as just Hank Green) is an American entrepreneur, musician, and internet vlogger; best known as one half of the VlogBrothers
(along with his brother John
Hank is one of the most active and prolific leaders of a new generation of Web entrepreneurs and personalities. Founder and CEO of VidCon, the world's first and only convention dedicated to internet videos. He along with John are the organizers of the event. He is also
the inventor of 2D glasses
; publisher of Ecogeek.org, an environmental technology blog; developer of Subbable, a crowdfunding service similar to Kickstarter
; Vice President of the Foundation to Decrease World Suck, and the co-founder of DFTBA Records.
open/close all folders
- So Jokes (2008)
- I'm So Bad at This: Live! (2009)
- This Machine Pwns n00bs (2009)
- Ellen Hardcastle (2011)
- Incongruent (2014)
This musician/internet vlogger and his works provide examples of:
- Alluring Anglerfish: "The Anglerfish Song".
- Angry Dance: "5 STARS FOR ANGER DANCE!!"
- Anti-Love Song: Hank sings "Florida" like a regular ballad love song, but it's actually about how much Florida sucks.
- "The Adorable Cannibal" may also be an example because it is actually a love song, but a really weird one that overlaps love and sexual attraction with food cravings, and eating with making out.
- Artifact Title: The Hankgames channel is a channel now hosting John Plays FIFA. He now plays games in a new channel Games With Hank.
- Beware the Nice Ones: In "I'm Gonna Kill You", he threatens violent murder on various people who piss him off by doing things such as holding up the express lane at the supermarket, having a loud party late at night while he's trying to sleep, or buying a huge SUV.
- Buffy Speak: On his vlogs. Sometimes on his science programs.
- Celeb Crush: On Helen Hunt
- Deadpan Snarker: He certainly comes across this way when he appears on React. A good example would be when he is watching "Rejected" and comments on the lampshaded Sanity Slippage, commenting on the fact that there seemed to be no sanity from the start.
- Educational Song: Hank has some songs in this style "Protons and Neutrons", "Strange Charm", "The Universe is Weird"
- Filk Song: Many of Hank's songs. This Isn't Hogwarts, Dead Boy's Girlfriend, The Man Who Throws the Tetris Piece, I'm Not Edward Cullen, and lots more.
- Happily Married: To Katherine Green.
- Happy Dance: A whole montage of them.
- Hurricane of Puns: "Mules Are So Half Ass"
- I Know You Know I Know: The basic gist of the lyrics of "I Know (A Song in Ten Words)".
- Insult Backfire: Both John and Hank have mentioned in several videos the stupidity of negative comments that accuse them of being nerds/geeks (they take it as a compliment) or "gay" (this is not an insult anyway).
- Let's Play: Hank does this in Hankgames and Games With Hank.
- Measuring the Marigolds: Both of his Youtube science shows avert this, with SciShow focusing on science news and ideas he finds cool, while Crash Course Biology, Ecology, and Chemistry, and Psychology taking a more targeted approach at various scientific disciplines. Part of what makes it work is Green's obvious enthusiasm.
- Motor Mouth: In lots of his videos where it is surprising if the closed captioning was able to accurately follow what he was saying.
- Nerdcore: Several of Hank's songs, including "DFTBA" and "The Man Who Throws The Tetris Piece".
- Nerds Are Sexy: Hank has appeared on several blogs in lists of "certain people [the blogger] would like to do certain things with" (also known as the "celebrity do list" or "guilt-free three").
- Nightmare Face: Ladies and gentlemen, demonic Hank.
- Officially Shortened Title: "The Anglerfish Song"/"A Song About an Anglerfish" is officially titled "The Anglerfish Song Regarding the Human Mentality in Respect to How to Interpret Perpetually Felt Emotions While Educating You on the Subject of Anglerfish."
Hank: That is Nerdfighteria, man. And with all respect to refugeejohn, I think we'll probably all just call it "The Anglerfish Song," but that will be its full title. Congratulations, refugeejohn!
- Poke the Poodle: In "Positive Prank Calls"
Hi, this is Hank Green of the Vlogbrothers, and I just wanted to let you know that global poverty rates have dropped 30% since 1990, and they're on track to drop another 10% before 2015. She was talking and I just hung up on her. Ha! Ha, pranked!
- Prank Call: A positive one.
- Proud to Be a Geek: He realy f***ing loves science.
- Shoutout: Lots and lots. To authors, poets, musicians, and scientists living and dead, to movies and books, to other video bloggers. For just a couple examples, see Hank's guitar, which is painted with the words, "this machine pwns n00bs", also the name of an album.
- Sibling Team: With John.
- Signing Off Catchphrase: "John, I'll see you on Tuesday."
- The Something Song: "The Anglerfish Song"
- Stalker with a Crush: While Hank's Helen Hunt song is supposed to be funny and non-serious, when the real Helen Hunt heard it, she thought it was this trope and took out a restraining order against him. A restraining order covered in flowers and smiley faces.◊ (The restraining order is fake though, just so you know.)
- Stop Motion: Hank had fun with this in Denver Airport, through doing very basic stop motion animation with himself as the moving object. Somehow, nobody seemed to notice him lying on the chairs in various abnormal positions. He then set the animation to some music.
- Stupid Statement Dance Mix: Hank put one together called "Willy's Song;" it was an amalgamation of all the bizarre sounds Nerdfighters had made in an attempt to get Willy to do his Quizzical Tilt again.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Corndogs.
- Tuckerization: Ellen Hardcastle was a fan who entered a contest in which the winner's name will be the name of the new album.
- Unusual Euphemism: Hank made 'Warner Chilcot' a curse word after the company of that name raised the price of his medication by 1200%.
- Viewers Are Geniuses: Nerd Jokes. You have to be pretty familiar with scientific theories, literature, computer science, comics, psychology, anime, sci fi and fantasy, politics, math and physics, and/or famous historical scientists and scholars to get the jokes at all.
- What the Hell, Hero?: In this Tumblr post, he calls out Youtube for their comment changes to the system, in particular the fact that the top comments were promoting a Vocal Minority, as well as the fact that the censor failed to stop a user commenting with just the N-word.
- What Would X Do?: "What Would Captain Picard Do".